Development of a Micro-Sized Thermal Contact Sensor for Inspection of Surface Defects
Yuki Shimizu, Wenjian Lu, Yuta Ohba,
and Wei Gao
Nano-Metrology and Control Laboratory, Department of Nanomechanics, Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aramaki, Aza Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai, Miyagi 980-8579, Japan
This paper presents an experimental study on a thermal element, which is designed to be used as a sensing device that detects a small amount of frictional heat due to a contact with nanometre-scale defects on smoothly-finished surfaces. A prototype of the thermal element, which is a thin-film resistance, is fabricated by using photolithography processes, and its sensitivity on the contact detection is investigated through some experiments, in which the thermal element is scratched by a micro-sphere controlled by PZT actuator in both X– and Z-directions so that a contact between the thermal element and defects can be simulated. Influences of an interference height and relative velocity between the thermal element and the target surface on the output of the thermal element at the contact detection are verified.
and Wei Gao, “Development of a Micro-Sized Thermal Contact Sensor for Inspection of Surface Defects,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.7, No.6, pp. 708-713, 2013.
-  K. Roy, J. P. Kulkarni, and S. K. Gupta, “Device/Circuit Interactions at 22nm Technology Node,” Proc. of DAC’09, San Francisco, California, USA, July 2009, pp. 97-102.
-  International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors, 2011 Edition: Metrology,
http://www.itrs.net [accessed Oct. 2012]
-  B. Marchon and T. Olson, “Magnetic spacing trends: From LMR to PMR and beyond,” IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol.45, No.10, pp. 3608-3611, 2009.
-  R. Brun, C. Moulin, and W. Schwarzenbach, “Defect Inspection Challenges and Solutions for Ultra-Thin SOI,” Proc. of The 23rd Annual SEMIAdvanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Conf., New York, USA, 2012, pp. 67-71.
-  W. Lu, Y. Shimizu, and W. Gao, “New Measurement Concept of Nanometer-level Defects on Si Wafer Surface by using Micro Contact Sensor,” Advanced Material Research, Vol.497, pp. 137-141, 2012.
-  W. Lu, Y. Shimizu, S. Ito, and W. Gao, “Design and Experiment of Thermal Contact Sensor Detecting Defects on Si Wafer Surface,” Key Engineering Materials, Vols.523-524, pp. 826-831, 2012.
-  K. L. Johnson, “One Hundred years of Hertz Contact,” Proc. of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.196, pp. 363-378, 1982.
-  B. L. Pruitt, W. T. Park, and T. W. Kenny, “Measurement System for Low Force and Small Displacement Contacts,” J. of Microelectromechanical System, Vol.13, No.2, pp. 220-229, 2004.
-  D. E. Lee, I. Hwang, C. M. O. Valente, J. F. G. Oliveira, and D. A. Dornfeld, “Precision manufacturing process monitoring with acoustic emission,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.46, No.2, pp. 176-188, 2006.