Fabrication of Microstructures on RB-SiC by Ultrasonic Cavitation Assisted Micro-Electrical Discharge Machining
Pay Jun Liew*, ***, Keita Shimada*, Masayoshi Mizutani*,
Jiwang Yan**, and Tsunemoto Kuriyagawa*
*Department of Mechanical Systems and Design, Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aoba, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
**Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Science and Technology, Keio University, 3-14-1 Hiyoshi, Kohoku-ku, Yokohama 223-8522, Japan
***Manufacturing Process Department, Faculty of Manufacturing Engineering, Universiti Teknikal Malaysia Melaka, Hang Tuah Jaya, 76100 Durian Tunggal, Melaka, Malaysia
-  J. C. Hung, J. K. Lin, B. H. Yan, H. S. Liu, and P. H. Ho, “Using a helical micro-tool in micro-EDM combined with ultrasonic vibration for micro-hole machining,” J. of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol.16, pp. 2705-2713, 2006.
-  M. H. Wu and G. M. Whitesides, “Fabrication of two-dimensional arrays of microlenses and their applications in photolithography,” J. of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol.12, pp. 747-758, 2002.
-  C. C. Chiu and Y. C. Lee, “Fabricating of aspheric micro-lens array by excimer laser micromachining,” Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Vol.49, pp. 1232-1237, 2011.
-  M. B. Stern and T. R. Jay, “Dry etching for coherent refractive microlens arrays,” Optical Engineering, Vol.33, No.11, pp. 3547-3551, 1994.
-  C. T. Pan and C. H. Su, “Fabrication of gapless triangular microlens array,” Sensors and Actuators A, Vol.134, pp. 631-640, 2007.
-  I. S. Kang, J. S. Kim, M. C. Kang, and K. Y. Lee, “Tool condition and machined surface monitoring for micro-lens array fabrication in mechanical machining,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.201, pp. 585-589, 2008.
-  H. Weule, V. Huntrup, and H. Tritschler, “Micro-cutting of steel to meet new requirements in miniaturization,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Vol.50, pp. 61-64, 2001.
-  Z. Zhang, H. Peng, and J. Yan, “Micro-cutting characteristics of EDM fabricated high-precision polycrystalline diamond tools,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.65, pp. 99-106, 2013.
-  D. Reynaerts, W.Meeusen, and H. V. Brussel, “Machining of threedimensional microstructures in silicon by electro-discharge machining,” Sensors and Actuators A, Vol.67, pp. 159-165, 1998.
-  K. H. Ho and S. T. Newman, “State of the art electrical discharge machining (EDM),” Int J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.43, pp. 1287-1300, 2003.
-  P. J. Liew, J. Yan, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Experimental investigation on material migration phenomena in micro-EDM of reactionbonded silicon carbide,” Applied Surface Science, Vol.276, pp. 731-743, 2013.
-  R. Garn, A. Schubert, and H. Zeidler, “Analysis of the effect of vibrations on the micro-EDM process at the workpiece surface,” Precision Engineering, Vol.35, pp. 364-368, 2011.
-  K. T. Hoang and S. H. Yang, “A study on the effect of different vibration-assisted methods in micro-WEDM,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.213, pp. 1616-1622, 2013.
-  T. Ichikawa and W. Natsu, “Realization of micro-EDM under ultrasmall discharge energy by applying ultrasonic vibration to machining fluid,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.6, pp. 326-331, 2013.
-  P. J. Liew, J. Yan, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Fabrication of micro deep holes on reaction-bonded SiC by ultrasonic cavitation assisted micro EDM,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture. (In press)
-  P. J. Liew, J. Yan, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Carbon nanofiber assisted micro electro discharge machining of reaction-bonded silicon carbide,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.213, Issue 7, pp. 1076-1087, 2013.
-  Technical data provided by the manufacture of the workpiece material.
-  N. Ravi and H. Huang, “Fabrication of symmetrical section microfeatures using the electro-discharge machining block electrode method,” J. of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol.12, pp. 905-910, 2002.
-  A. Perveen, Y. S. Wong, and M. Rahman, “Fabrication of different geometry cutting tools and their effect on the vertical microgrinding of BK7 glass,” Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.61, pp. 101-115, 2012.
-  B. Ekmekci and A. Sayar, “Debris and consequences in micro electric discharge machining of micro-holes,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.65, pp. 58-67, 2013.
-  S. Clijsters, K. Liu, D. Reynaerts, and B. Lauwers, “EDM technology and strategy development for the manufacturing of complex parts in SiSiC,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.210, pp. 631-641, 2010.
-  B. Vyas and C. M. Preece, “Stress produced in a solid by cavitation,” J. of Applied Physics, Vol.47, No.12, pp. 5133-5138, 1976.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.