Material Removal During Ultrasonic Machining Using Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics
Jingsi Wang, Keita Shimada, Masayoshi Mizutani,
and Tsunemoto Kuriyagawa
Department of Mechanical Systems and Design, Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aoba, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
-  New Structural Materials Technologies, “Opportunities for the Use of Advanced Ceramics and Composites–A Technical Memorandum,” U. S. Congress, 1986.
-  R. K. Brow and M. L. Schmitt, “A survey of energy and environmental applications of glass,” J. of the European Ceramic Society, Vol.29, No.7, pp. 1193-1201, 2009.
-  R. Tsuboi, Y. Kakinuma, T. Aoyama, H. Ogawa, and S. Hamada, “Ultrasonic vibration and cavitation-aided micromachining of hard and brittle materials,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.1, pp. 342-346, 2012.
-  T. B. Thoe, D. K. Aspinwall, and M. L. H. Wise, “Review on ultrasonic machining,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.38, No.4, pp. 239-255, 1998.
-  W. H. Fan, C. L. Chao, W. C. Chou, T. T. Chen, and C. W. Chao, “Study on the surface integrity of micro-ultrasonic machined glass-ceramic material,” Key Engineering Materials, Vol.407-408, pp. 731-734, 2009.
-  M. Komaraiah and P. Narasimha Reddy, “A study on the influence of workpiece properties in ultrasonic machining,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.33, No.3, pp. 495-505, 1993.
-  V. Soundararajan and V. Radhakrishnan, “An experimental investigation on the basic mechanisms involved in ultrasonic machining,” Int. J. of Machine Tool Design and Research, Vol.26, No.3, pp. 307-321, 1986.
-  Y. Ichida, R. Sato, Y. Morimoto, and K. Kobayashi, “Material removal mechanisms in non-contact ultrasonic abrasive machining,” Wear, Vol.258, No.1-4, pp. 107-114, 2005.
-  D. Kremer, S. M. Saleh, S. R. Ghabrial, and A. Moisan, “The state of the art of ultrasonic machining,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.30, No.1, pp. 107-110, 1981.
-  T. C. Lee and C. W. Chan, “Mechanism of the ultrasonic machining of ceramic composites,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.71, No.2, pp. 195-201, 1997.
-  A. G. Evans and T. R. Wilshaw, “Quasi-static solid particle damage in brittle solids–I. Observations analysis and implications,” Acta Metallurgica, Vol.24, No.10, pp. 939-956, 1976.
-  L. B. Lucy, “A numerical approach to the testing of the fission hypothesis,” Astronomical J., Vol.82, pp. 1013-1024, 1977.
-  R. A. Gingold and J. J. Monaghan, “Smoothed particle hydrodynamics: theory and application to non-spherical stars,” Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, Vol.181, pp. 375-389, 1977.
-  L. D. Libersky and A. G. Petschek, “Smooth particle hydrodynamics with strength of materials,” Advances in the Free-Lagrange Method including Contributions on Adaptive Gridding and the Smooth Particle Hydrodynamics Method, Lecture Notes in Physics, Vol.395, pp. 248-257, 1991.
-  J. Bonet and S. Kulasegaram, “Correction and stabilization of smooth particle hydrodynamics methods with applications in metal forming simulations,” Int. J. for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol.47, No.6, pp. 1189-1214, 2000.
-  Y. F.Wang and Z. G. Yang, “A coupled finite element and meshfree analysis of erosive wear,” Tribology Int., Vol.42, No.2, pp. 373-377, 2009.
-  K. Miwa, M. Beppu, M. Itoh, M. Katayama, and T. Ohno, “A numerical simulation of the local damage on concrete plate subjected to impacted by different nose shape projectile,” Proc. of the Symp. on Impact Problems in Civil Engineering, Vol.9, No.43, pp. 235-240, 2008. (in Japanese)
-  AUTODYN, “Interaction Tutorial,” Century Dynamics Inc., 2005.
-  D. J. Steinberg, “Equation of State and Strength Properties of Selected Materials,” Lawrence Livermore National Laboratories, 1996.
-  D. A. Matuska, “Hull Users’ Manual,” Orlando Technology Inc., Shalimar, FL, 1984.
-  AUTODYN, “Theory Manual,” Century Dynamics Inc., 2005.
-  T. J. Holmquist, G. R. Johnson, C. M. Lopatin, D. E. Grady, and E. S. Hertel, “High strain rate properties and constitutive modeling of glass,” Proc. of the 15th Int. Symp. on Ballistics, Israel, 1995.
-  D. J. Steinberg, S. G. Cochran, and M. W. Guinan, “A constitutive model for metals applicable at high-strain rate,” J. of Applied Physics, Vol.51, No.3, pp. 1498-1504, 1980.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.