Spindle Error Motion Measurement Using Concentric Circle Grating and Phase Modulation Interferometers
Muhummad Madden*, Masato Aketagawa*, Shuhei Uesugi*,
Takuya Kumagai*, and Eiki Okuyama**
*Nagaoka University of Technology, 1603-1 Kamitomioka, Nagaoka, Niigata 940-2188, Japan
**Akita University, 1-1 Tegatagakuenmachi, Akita 010-8502, Japan
In the conventional methods of measuring radial, axial, and angular motions of a spindle concurrently, complicated reference artifacts with relative large volume, e.g., two balls linked to a cylinder, are required. A simple and small artifact is favorable from the viewpoint of accurate measurement. This paper describes a concurrent measurement of radial, axial, and angular spindle motions using concentric circle grating and phase modulation interferometers. In the measurement, concentric circle grating with fine pitch is installed on top of the spindle of interest. The grating is a reference artifact in the method. Three optical sensors are fixed over the concentric circle grating, to observe its proper positions. The optical sensor consists of a frequency modulated laser diode as a light source as well as two interferometers. One interferometer observes an interference fringe between reflected light from a fixedmirror and 0-th order diffraction light from the grating to measure the axial motion. Another interferometer observes an interference fringe between ± 2nd order diffraction lights from the grating tomeasure the radialmotion. Using three optical sensors, three axial displacements, and three radial displacements of the proper observed position of the grating can be measured. From these measured displacements, radial, axial, and angular motions of the spindle can be calculated concurrently. In this paper, a measurement instrument, a novel fringe interpolation technique using sinusoidal phase modulation, and experimental results are discussed.
Takuya Kumagai, and Eiki Okuyama, “Spindle Error Motion Measurement Using Concentric Circle Grating and Phase Modulation Interferometers,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.7, No.5, pp. 506-513, 2013.
-  R. Donaldson, “A simple method for separating spindle error from test ball roundness error,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.21, pp. 125-126, 1972.
-  E. Marsh, J. Couey, and R. Vallance, “Roundness measurement of spherical artifacts at arbitrary latitude,” Precision Engineering, Vol.30, pp. 353-356, 2006.
-  E. Okuyama, N. Nosaka, and J. Aoki, “Radial motion measurement of high-revolution spindle motor,” Measurement, Vol.40, pp. 64-74, 2007.
-  Y. C. Park and S. W. Kim, “Optical measurement of spindle radial motion by Moiré technique of concentric gratings,” Int. J. Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.34, No.7, pp. 1019-1030, 1994.
-  A. Kataoka, M. Nomura, O. Horiuchi, T. Shibata, and Y. Murakami, “A prototype of Radial Encoder,” Proc. of JSPE Annual Spring Meeting, Tokyo, Japan, pp. 513-514, 2008. (in Japanese)
-  W. Gao, T. Takahara, and S. Kiyono, “On machine measurement of angular motion of spindle,” Proc. of ASPE Annual Meeting, St. Luis, p. 355, 1998.
-  I. Ogura and Y. Okazaki, “Precision measurement for axial and angular motion errors of turning spindle by using multi point method,” J. of JSPE, Vol.67, pp. 1120-1124, 2001. (in Japanese)
-  E. R. Marsh, “Precision Spindle Metrology,” DEStech Publications, Pennsylvania, pp. 1-13, 2008.
-  W. Gao and A. Kimura, “A Three-axis displacement sensor with nanometric resolution,” Annals. of the CIRP, Vol.56, No.1, pp. 529-532, 2007.
-  A. Kimura, Y. Arai, and W. Gao, “A two-degree-of-freedom linear encoder for measurement of position and straightness,” Proc. of ASPE Annual and ICPE Meeting, Portland, USA, pp. 550-553, 2008.
-  M. Madden, M. Aketagawa, Y. Ohkubo, S. Kimura, H. Maruyama, S. Higuchi, and E. Okuyama, “Proposal of concurrent measurement method for spindle radial, axial and angular motios using concentric grating interferometers,” Int. J. of Surface Science and Engineering, Vol.3, No.3, pp. 242-252, 2009.
-  O. Sasaki and H. Okasaki, “Sinusoidal phase modulating interferometry for surface profile measurment,” Applied Optics, Vol.52, No.18, pp. 3137-3140, 1986.
-  A. Dandridge, A. B. Tveten, and T. G. Giallorenzi, “Homodyne demodulation scheme for fiber optic sensors using phase generated carrier,” IEEE J. of Quantum Electronics, Vol.18, No.10, pp. 1647-1653, 1982.
-  S. Uesugi, M. Madden, T. Kumagai, Y. Maeda, and M. Aketagawa, “Concurrent measurement of radial, axial and angular motions of spindle using concentric circle grating interferometers,” Proc. of JSPE Annual AutumnMeeting, Fukuoka, Japan, pp. 927-928, 2012. (in Japanese)
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.