Positioning Characteristics of a MEMS Linear Motor Utilizing a Thin Film Permanent Magnet and DLC Coating
Ryogen Fujiwara*, Tadahiko Shinshi*, and Minoru Uehara**
*Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259 Nagatsuta-cho, Midori-ku, Yokohama 226-8503, Japan
**Hitachi Metals, Ltd., 2-15-17 Egawa, Shimamoto-cho, Mishima-gun, Osaka 618-0013, Japan
-  M. Esashi, H. Komatsu, T. Matsuo, M. Takahashi, T. Takishima, K. Imabayashi, and H. Ozawa, “Fabrication of catheter-tip and sidewall miniature pressure sensors,” IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol.29, No.1, pp. 57-63, 1982.
-  Z. Xiao, M. Chen, G. Wu, C. Zhao, D. Zhang, Y. Hao, G. Zhang, and Z. Li, “Silicon micro-accelerometer with mg resolution, high linearity and large frequency bandwidth fabricated with two mask bulk process,” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol.77, No.2, pp. 113-119, 1999.
-  T. Murakoshi, Y. Endo, K. Fukatsu, S. Nakamura, and M. Esashi, “Electrostatically Levitated Ring-Shaped Rotational-Gyro/Accelerometer,” Japanese J. of Applied Physics, Vol.42, No.4B, pp. 2468-2472. 2003.
-  D. W. Monk and R. O. Gale, “The digital micromirror device for projection display,” Microelectronic Engineering, Vol.27, No.1-4, pp. 489-493, 1995.
-  C. Sun, N. Fang, D. M. Wu, and X. Zhang, “Projection microstereolithography using digital micro-mirror dynamic mask,” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol.121, No.1, pp. 113-120, 2005.
-  S. Towfighian, A. Seleim, E.M. Abdel-Rahman, and G. R. Heppler, “A large-stroke electrostatic micro-actuator,” J. of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol.21, No.7, 075023, 2011.
-  F. Hu1, W. Wang, and J. Yao, “An electrostatic MEMS spring actuator with large stroke and out-of-plane actuation,” J. of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol.21, No.11, 115029, 2011.
-  Y. T. Songa, H. Y. Leea, and M. Esashi, “A corrugated bridge of low residual stress for RF-MEMS switch,” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol.135, No.2, pp. 818-826, 2007.
-  M. Feldmann and S. Büttgenbach, “Linear Variable Reluctance (VR) micro motors with compensated attraction force concept, simulation, fabrication and test,” IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol.43, No.6, pp. 2567-2569, 2007.
-  B. Wagner, M. Kreutzer, and W. Benecke, “Permanent magnet micromotors on silicon substrates,” J. of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol.2, No.1, pp. 23-29, 1993.
-  M. V. Shutov, E. E. Sandoz, D. L. Howard, T. C. Hsia, R. L. Smith, and S. D. Collins, “A microfabricated electromagnetic linear synchronous motor,” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol.121, No.2, pp. 566-575, 2005.
-  C. G. J. Schabmueller, M. Koch, M. E. Mokhtari, A. G. R. Evans, A. Brunnschweiler, and H. Sehr, “Self-aligning gas/liquid micropump,” J. of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol.12, No.4, pp. 420-424, 2002.
-  M. F. M. Sabri, T. Ono, and M. Esashi, “Modeling and experimental validation of the performance of a silicon XY-microstage driven by PZT actuators,” J. of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol.19, No.9, 095004, 2009.
-  K. Matsuo, M. Moriyama, M. Esashi, and S. Tanaka, “Low-voltage PZT-actuated MEMS switch monolithically integrated with CMOS circuit,” Proc. of 2012 IEEE 25th Int. Conf. on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS), pp. 1153-1156, 2012.
-  W. L. Benard, H. Kahn, A. H. Heuer, and M. A. Huff, “Thin-film shape-memory alloy actuated micropumps,” J. of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol.7, No.2, pp. 245-251, 1998.
-  S. Braun, N. Sandström, G. Stemme, and W. van der Wijngaart, “Wafer-Scale manufacturing of bulk shape-memory-alloy microactuators based on adhesive bonding of titanium-nickel sheets to structured silicon wafers,” J. of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol.18, No.6, pp. 1309-1317, 2009.
-  H. Nishio, H. Yamamoto, M. Nagakura, and M. Uehara, “Effects of machining on magnetic properties of Nd-Fe-B system sintered magnets,” IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol.26, No.1, pp. 257-261, 1990.
-  T. Speliotis, D. Niarchos, P. Falaras, D. Tsoukleris, and J. Pepin, “Nd-Fe-B Thick Films Prepared by Screen Printing,” IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol.41, No.10, pp. 3901-3903, 2005.
-  A. S. Lileev, A. A. Parilov, and V. G. Blatov, “Properties of hard magnetic Nd-Fe-B films versus different sputtering conditions,” J. of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol.242-245, No.2, pp. 1300-1303, 2002.
-  S. Parhofer, G. Gieresa, J. Weckera, and L. Schultz, “Growth characteristics and magnetic properties of sputtered Nd-Fe-B thin films,” J. of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol.163, No.1-2, pp. 32-38, 1996.
-  M. Nakano, R. Katoh, H. Fukunaga, S. Tutumi, and F. Yamashita, “A Fabrication of Nd-Fe-B thick-film magnets by high-speed PLD method,” IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol.39, No.5, pp. 2863-2865, 2003.
-  N. Wang and D. P. Arnold, “Thick Electroplated Co-Rich Co-Pt Micromagnet Arrays for Magnetic MEMS,” IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol.44, No.11, pp. 3969-3972, 2008.
-  M. Uehara, “Microstructure and permanent magnet properties of a perpendicular anisotropic NdFeB/Ta multilayered thin film prepared by magnetron sputtering,” J. of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol.284, pp. 281-286, 2004.
-  T. Shinshi, M. Ishibashi, and M. Uehara, “Micro linear motor utilizing NdFeB thin film magnet,” Proc. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering 2011 Autumn Conf., pp. 655-656, 2011. (in Japanese)
-  R. Fujiwara, M. Ishibashi, T. Shinshi, M. Uehara, M. Hori, and E. Fujiwara, “A MEMS linear motor utilizing a thin film permanent magnet,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C, unpublished. (in Japanese)
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.