Development of Deburring Technology with Whirling EDM
Vitchuda Lertphokanont*, Atsushi Nakayama*, Minoru Ota*,
Kai Egashira*, Keishi Yamaguchi*, and Naomi Kawada**
*Kyoto Institute of Technology, Matsugasaki, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8585, Japan
**Toray Industries, Inc., 1-1 Sonoyama 1-chome, Otsu-City 520-0842, Japan
This paper describes a highly efficient deburring technology that employs Whirling Electrical Discharge Machining (Whirling EDM). Whirling EDM was developed because burrs on the backside of smalldiameter holes, such as cross-drilled holes are not easy to remove. Many short circuits occur, due to the design of the compliant tool and the tool’s uncontrollable deflection. Therefore, a feedback circuit was developed in order to increase the probability of normal discharge. In conclusion, normal discharge increased due to the feedback circuit, and Whirling EDM can successfully deburr the backside of small-diameter holes in a highly efficient manner.
Kai Egashira, Keishi Yamaguchi, and Naomi Kawada, “Development of Deburring Technology with Whirling EDM,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.7, No.1, pp. 121-127, 2013.
-  H. Ueno, Y. Otake, and K. Egashira, “Chamfering and Deburring of Back Sides of Micro-Through Holes by EDM,” Proc. of Jpn. Soc. Electrical-Machining Eng. National Conf., pp. 17-18, 2009. (in Japanese)
-  H. Kubota, H. Tabei, and Y. Sawai, “Development of a Drilling tool with a Function of Deburring,” J. Jpn. Soc. Precis. Eng., Vol.58, No.4, pp. 89-94, 1994. (in Japanese)
-  Y. Zou and T. Shinmura, “Development of a new magnetic field assisted deburring technology for inside surface using permanent magnet and magnetic articles (Machining principle and a few deburring characteristics),” J. Jpn. Soc. Abras. Technol., Vol.51, No.2, pp. 94-99, 2007. (in Japanese)
-  N. Kawada, M.Miyazaki, M. Ora, K. Egashira, and T. Ohashi, “Development of Deburring Technology with Whirling EDM,” Proc. of Jpn., Soc. Electrical-Machining Eng. National Conf., pp. 19-20, 2008. (in Japanese)
-  A. Nakayama, Y. Yasutake, M. Ota, and S. Kouno, “Development of Deburring Technology with Whirling EDM-2nd report Influence of tool electrode Material,” Proc. of Jpn. Soc. Electrical-Machining Eng. National Conf., pp. 19-20, 2010. (in Japanese)