Basic Study on Laser Forming of Curved Surfaces with Simulation
Keisuke Kishida*, Toshihiko Nakamura*, Hideki Aoyama*,
Naohisa Matsushita**, and Akihiko Ushimaru**
*Department of System Design Engineering, Keio University, 3-14-1 Hiyoshi, Kohoku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 223-8522, Japan
**Fujitsu Limited, 4-1-1 Kamikodana, Nakahara-ku, Kawasaki 211-8588, Japan
Laser forming is a technology that produces plastic deformations in sheet materials by generating local heat stress. It is useful for prototype or small-quantity production because it does not require dies or molds. Although many studies on laser forming have been done, few have been on forming curved shapes. This paper deals with a method for generating the scanning paths and determining the scanning conditions for laser forming of a curved shape. The scanning paths are derived as the maximum and minimum curvature lines. Since the two curvature lines are orthogonal, they don’t affect each other in forming. The scanning speed is decided by an approximation equation derived from experiment and FEM analysis according to the angle of the bend at the irradiation point. The effectiveness of the scanning paths and the scanning speed determined by the proposed method are confirmed through experiments.
Naohisa Matsushita, and Akihiko Ushimaru, “Basic Study on Laser Forming of Curved Surfaces with Simulation,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.7, No.1, pp. 24-29, 2013.
-  M. Otsu and H. Miura, “Three-Dimensional Forming of Sheet Metal, J. of Japan Laser Processing Society,” Vol.10, No.3, pp. 238-242, 2003.
-  T. Ueda, K. Yamada, S. Oikawa, and A. Hosokawa, “Basic Study on Laser Forming,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.67, No.2, pp. 300-305, 2001.
-  M. Saeki, A. Sakakibara, and K. Hosokawa, “Simulation of Laser Forming – 1st Report, Effect of Plate Thickness and Beam Diameter on Bending Direction –,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.74, No.2, pp. 160-165, 2008.
-  Y. Namba and T. Katayama, “Three Dimensional Thermal Elasticplastic Analysis of Laser Forming Process,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.65, No.9, pp. 1330-1334, 1999.
-  M. Osawa, T. Hatayama, T. Okubo, and Y. Uchiyama, “Fundamental Study on Micro-forming by Laser Beam,” Annual Report Research Institute for Technology No. 20 Tokyo Denki University, No.20, pp. 113-118, 2001.
-  M. Osawa, Y. Itoh, and H. Sato, “Plastic forming of micro parts by laser beam,” Annual Report Research Institute for Technology No. 23 Tokyo Denki University, No.23, pp. 95-100, 2004.
-  M. Osawa, H. Ichikawa, and H. Sato, “Plastic Deformation of Thin Metal Sheet by Laser Beam,” Annual Report Research Institute for Technology No. 25 Tokyo Denki University, No.25, pp. 95-100, 2006.
-  T. Miyazaki, M. Saito, T. Tokunaga, T. Misu, and S. Yoshioka, “Diode Laser Forming of Thin Metal Plate Using Pre-bending Effect,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.68, No.5, pp. 700-704, 2002.
-  T. Misu, Y. Sano, T. Miyazaki, S. Yoshioka, T. Tokunaga, and Y. Tanaka, “Laser Bending of Thin Metal Plate : effect of Workpiece Size and Shape on Bending Occurred due to Buckling Mode,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.71, No.12, pp. 1536-1540, 2005.
-  Y. Okamoto, Y. Uno, K. Ohta, T. Shibata, S. Kubota, and Y. Namba, “Study on Precision Laser Forming of Plastic with YAG Laser,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.66, No.6, pp. 891-895, 2000.
-  Y. Uno, Y. Okamoto, T. Shibata, M. Ohkubo, “Study on Laser Forming of Plastic by YAG Laser : Effect of Specimen Thickness on Deformation Characteristics,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.68, No.3, pp. 466-471, 2002.
-  K. Matsuo and K. Matsuoka, “Development of New System for Developing Curved Shell Plates of Ships,” J. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Part C, Vol.76, No.771, pp. 2797-2802, 2010.
-  The Iron and Steel Institute of Japan, “Iron and Steel Handbook,” Maruzen, Third Edition, 1981.
-  Japan Society of Thermophysical Properties, “Thermophysical Properties Handbook,” Youkendo, 1990.
-  M. Hasegawa, “Stainless Steel Handbook,” Nihon Kougyo Shinbunshya, 1960.