Toolpath Generation Method Based on Control Characteristics of Machine Tool for High-Speed and High-Accuracy Machining
Kosuke Saito*, Hideki Aoyama*, and Noriaki Sano**
*Department of System Design Engineering, Keio University, 3-14-1 Hiyoshi, Kohoku, Yokohama 223-8522, Japan
**UEL Corporation, 33-8 Wakamatsu, Shinjuku, Tokyo 162-0056, Japan
Drive control of NC machine tools is based on linear interpolation. When curved surfaces are machined using linear interpolation, problems arise with the feedrate not reaching the command feedrate, machining accuracy and surface quality decreasing, etc. In order to solve such problems, a method for generating a toolpath based on the control characteristics of a machine tool is proposed. The effectiveness of the proposed method is confirmed through simulations and experiments. It is found that the proposed method can reduce the cutting time to approximately 50% of the time required when conventional CAM systems are used. The proposed method also improves surface quality.
-  A. Matsubara, “Design and Control of Precision Positioning and Feed Drive systems,” pp. 71-107, 2008. (in Japanese)
-  E. Heo, D. Kim, B. Kim, and F. Chen, “Estimation of NCmachining time using NC block distribution for sculptured surface machining,” Robot. Cim-Int. Manuf., Vol.22, No.5-6, pp. 437-446, 2006.
-  Y. Kakino, Y. Ihara, Y. Nakatsu, and A. Shinohara, “A Study on the Motion Accuracy of NCMachine Tools (6th Report),” JSPE, Vol.54, No.4, pp. 739-744, 1990. (in Japanese)
-  D. Du, Y. Liu, C. Yan, and C. Li, “An accurate adaptive parametric curve interpolator for NURBS curve interpolation,” Int. Jadv. Manuf. Tech., Vol.32, No.9-10, pp. 999-1008, 2007.
-  D. Du, Y. Liu, C. Yan, X. Guo, K. Yamazaki, andM. Fujishima, “An accurate adaptive NURBS curve interpolator with real-time flexible acceleration/deceleration control,” Robot. Cim-Int. Manuf., Vol.26, No.4, pp. 273-281, 2010.
-  M. Tikhon, T. Ko, S. Lee, and H. Kim, “NURBS interpolator for constant material removal rate in open NC machine tools,” Int. J. Mach. Tool. Manu., Vol.44, No.11, pp. 237-245, 2004.
-  J.Mayor and A. Sodemann, “Intelligent Tool-Path Segmentation for Improved Stability and Reduced Machining Time in Micromilling,” ASME J. Manuf. Sci. Eng., Vol.130, No.3, p. 31121, 2008.
-  A. Sodemann and J. Mayor, “Experimental Evaluation of the Variable-Feedrate Intelligent Segmentation Method for High-Speed, High-Precision Micromilling,” ASME J. Manuf. Sci. Eng., Vol.133, No.2, p. 021001, 2011.
-  T. Unno, Y. Morimoto, Y. Ichida, and R. Sato, “Real-Time Synthesis and Control by Corrected Inverse Transfer Function of NC Tables,” JSPE, Vol.74, No.1, pp. 72-76, 2008. (in Japanese)
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.