Electroless Nickel Plating Technique for Depositing a Nano-Scale Layer
Tune-Hune Kao, Meng-Chi Huang, Ying-Tsun Su,
Advanced Manufacturing Core Technology Division, Mechanical and Systems Research, Laboratories, Industrial Technology Research Institute, No.195, Sec.4, Chung Hsing Rd., Chutung, Hsinchu, 31040, Taiwan, R.O.C.
This paper discusses an electroless nickel plating technique. EDTA and potassium sodium tartrate are selected as chelating agents, and both are suitable for producing deposition layers of nanometer scale. The technique is applied to a copper roller mold, the deposition rate is measured at various operation temperatures, and layer thickness is measured by a surface contour meter. The quality of the deposition layer is characterized by SEM, and micrographs show that sharp angles can be reproduced by the deposition layer.
-  A. H. Graham, R. W. Lindsay, H. J. Read, J. Electrochem. Soc., Vol.112, No.4, p. 401, 1965.
-  A. K. Grover, M. K. Totlani, Trans.Metal Finish, India, Vol.4, No.1, p. 15, 1995.
-  R. N. Duncan, Metal Prog, Vol.127, No.7, p. 31, 1985.
-  S. S. Tulsi, Trans. Inst. Metal Finish, Vol.64, No.2, p. 73, 1986.
-  K. Parker, Metal Finish, Vol.79, No.3, p. 29, 1992.