Optimization of Bubble Eliminator Through Numerical and Experimental Investigation
Sayako Sakama*, Yutaka Tanaka*, and Ryushi Suzuki**
*Hosei University, 2-17-1 Fujimi, Chiyodaku, Tokyo 102-8160, Japan
**Opus System Inc., 3-18-7 Asagayaminami, Suginamiku, Tokyo 166-0004, Japan
Air bubbles in working oil affect the stiffness and efficiency of hydraulic systems; thus it is important for technical issues that air bubbles be actively eliminated from the hydraulic oil. A bubble eliminator is a device that uses a swirl flow to remove air bubbles. The shape of the device affects bubble elimination performance, so the selection of shape is the most important parameter in increasing the performance of the device. The purpose of this study is to design a bubble eliminator with an optimal shape. This paper discusses the validity of numerical simulation by comparing, using various diameters of the vent port, the numerical results with the results of the experimental flow visualization. Moreover, we focus on the length of the inlet tube and tapered tube of the bubble eliminator and establish a method of selecting them.
-  B. Casey, “Mobile Hydraulic Equipment: Increasing the Pressure,” Machinery Lubrication Magazine, January 2008.
-  G. E. Totten, Sun, and Bishop, “Hydraulic Fluids: Foaming, Air Entrainment, and Air Release – A Review,” SAE Technical Paper, No.972789, 1997.
-  Backe and Lipphardt, “Influence of the Dispersed Air on the Pressure,” CI Mech. Eng., C97/76, pp. 77-84, 1976.
-  R. Suzuki and S. Yokota, “Bubble Elimination by Use of Swirl Flow,” IFAC Int. Workshop on Trends in Hydraulic and Pneumatic Components and Systems, Poster Paper 2, 1994.
-  K. Nagaishi, Y. Tanaka, and R. Suzuki, “Bubble Elimination for Hydraulic Systems – New Design of Hydraulic System for Environmental Compatibility –,” Proc. of 5th FPNI PhD Symp. Krakow, pp. 254-262, 2008.
-  R. Suzuki and Y. Tanaka, “Downsizing of Oil Reservoir by Bubble Eliminator,” Proc. of the 6th JFPS Int. Symp. on Fluid Power, Tsukuba, pp. 7-10, November 2005.
-  R. Suzuki, Y. Tanaka, and S. Yokota, “Reduction of Oil Temperature Rise by Use of a Bubble Elimination Device in Hydraulic Systems,” J. of the Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers, Vol.54, No.3, pp. 23-27, March 1998.
-  Y. Tanaka and R. Suzuki, “Solution of Air Entrainment for Fluid Power Systems,” Proc. of the 49th National Conf. on Fluid Power, IFPE2002, pp. 57-62, March 2002.
-  R. Suzuki, Y. Tanaka, and H. Goto, “Bubble Elimination from Hydraulic Fluids for Reduction of Environmental Burdens,” Proc. the twelfth Scandinavian Int. Conf. on Fluid Power, SICFP’11, Vol.2, pp. 341-353, 2011.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.