Elastic Deformation Error Model for Calibration and Compensation of Parallel Kinematic Mechanism Machine Tool
Tetsuya Matsushita*, Hiroshi Ueno*,
and Atsushi Matsubara**
*OKUMA Corporation, 5-25-1 Oguchi-cho, Niwa-gun, Aichi 480-0193, Japan
**Department of Micro Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Kyoto University, Yoshidahonmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501, Japan
In the motion error of parallel kinematic mechanism machine tools, the elastic deformation caused by external forces, such as gravity, as well as the kinematic parameter error, is a significant factor. Internal forces generated by the rotational resistance of passive joints also deform mechanical components. In this paper, an elastic deformation error model that can deal with external and internal forces is presented. A compensation system and a calibration method of kinematic parameters employing this model are also presented. It is experimentally verified that this calibration method and compensation system improve the motion accuracy of a parallel kinematic mechanism machine tool.
-  H. Zhuang and L. Liu, “Self-Calibration of a Class of Parallel Manipulators,” Proc. of the 1996 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 994-999, 1997.
-  H. Ota, T. Shibukawa, and T. Tooyama, “Study of Kinematic Calibration Method for Parallel Mechanism (1st Report) – Kinematic Calibration using Inverse Kinematics –,” J. of JSPE, Vol.66, No.6, pp. 950-954, 2000.
-  T. Oiwa, M. Kyogoku, and K. Yamaguchi, “Coordinate Measuring Machine using Parallel Mechanism (5th Report) – Kinematic Calibration with Three-Dimensional Ball Plate –,” J. of JSPE, Vol.68, No.1, pp. 65-69, 2002.
-  H. Ota, T. Shibukawa et al, “Study of Kinematic Calibration Method for Parallel Mechanism (2nd Report) – Kinematic Calibration Using Forward Kinematics –,” J. of JSPE, Vol.66, No.10, pp. 1568-1572, 2000.
-  S. Ibaraki, T. Yokawa et al, “A Study on the Improvement of Motion Accuracy of Hexapod-type Parallel Mechanism Machine Tool (2nd Report) – A Calibration Method to Evaluate Positioning Errors on the Global Coordinate System –,” J. of JSPE, Vol.70, No.4, pp. 557-561, 2004.
-  H. Ota, K. Otsubo et al, “Study of Kinematic Calibration Method for Parallel Mechanism (3rd Report) – Gravity Compensation and Kinematic Calibration Considering Gravity –,” J. of JSPE, Vol.67, No.7, pp. 1114-1119, 2001.
-  M. Adli, K. Nagai et al, “Analysis of Internal Force Effect in Parallel Manipulators,” J. of SICE, Vol.27, No.11, pp. 1266-1273, 1991.
-  S. Ibaraki, T. Okuda et al, “Compensation of Gravity-Induced Errors on a Hexapod-Type Parallel Kinematic Machine Tool,” JSME Int. J., Series C, Vol.47, No.1, pp. 160-167, 2004.
-  D. Stewart, “A Platform with Six Degrees of Freedom,” Proc. of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.180, Part 1, No.15, pp. 371-386, 1965.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.