Hybrid Control for Machine Tool Table Applying Sensorless Cutting Force Monitoring
Masaya Takei*, Daisuke Kurihara**, Seiichiro Katsura**,
and Yasuhiro Kakinuma**
*School of Integrated Design Engineering, Graduate School of Science and Technology, Keio University, 3-14-1 Hiyoshi, Kohoku-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 223-8522, Japan
**Department of System Design Engineering, Faculty of Science and Technology, Keio University
Accurate monitoring and adaptive control to maintain optimum machining conditions are required for intelligent machine tools. Methods using additional sensors have been studied to add these functions to machine tools; however, incorporating additional sensors leads to higher production costs and reductions in mechanical stiffness. In the present study, a sensorless method of monitoring cutting force that utilizes the current signal and the second-order derivative of position is developed. Moreover, applying sensorless cutting force monitoring, a hybrid control method is proposed in which the sensorless monitoring is used to simultaneously control both the position trajectory and cutting force in the feed direction.
-  G. Byrne, D. Dornfeld, I. Inasaki, G. Ketteler, W. Konig, and R. Teti, “Tool Condition Monitoring – the Status of Research and Industrial Application,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.44, No.2, pp. 541-567, 1995.
-  Y. Altintus, “Prediction of Cutting Forces and Tool Breakage in Milling from Feed Drive Current Measurements,” Trans. of ASME, 114, pp. 386-394, 1992.
-  J.-M. Lee, D.-K. Choi et al., “Real-Time Tool Breakage Monitoring for NC Milling Process,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.44, No.1, pp. 59-62, 1995.
-  H. Shinno, H. Hashizume, and H. Yoshioka, “Sensor-less Monitoring of Cutting Force During Ultraprecision Machining,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.52, No.1, pp. 303-306, 2003.
-  A. Verl and U. Heisel, “Sensorless Automated Condition Monitoring for the Control of the Predictive Maintenance of Machine Tools,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.58, No.1, pp. 375-378, 2009.
-  S. Ibaraki, A. Matsubara, and M. Murozumi, “Efficiency Comparison of Cutting Strategies for End Milling Processes Under Feedrate Scheduling,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.2, No.5, pp. 377-383, 2008.
-  D. Kurihara, Y. Kakinuma, and S. Katsura, “Sensorless Cutting Force Monitoring using Parallel Disturbance Observer,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.4, pp. 415-421, 2009.
-  K. Ohnishi, “Disturbance Observation-Cancellation Technique,” IEEE the Industrial Electronics Handbook #33, pp. 524-528, 1997.
-  Z. Jamaludin, H. Van Brussel et al., “Accurate Motion Control of XY High-Speed Linear Drives Using Friction Model Feedforward and Cutting Force Estimation,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.57, No.1, pp. 403-406, 2008.