On-Machine Optical Surface Profile Measuring System for Nano-Machining
Hiroshi Sawano*, Motohiro Takahashi*, Hayato Yoshioka*,
Hidenori Shinno*, and Kimiyuki Mitsui**
*Precision and Intelligence Laboratory, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259 Nagatsuta, Midori-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 226-8503, Japan
**Department of Mechanical Engineering, Keio University, 3-14-1 Hiyoshi, Kohoku-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 223-8522, Japan
There has been an increasing demand for machining of precision parts recently. In order to meet such requirements, nano-machining systems with on-machine surface profile measuring function are required. This paper presents a newly developed on-machine shape measuring system with an optical probe. In this system, an astigmatic focus error detection method is applied to the optical probe. In addition, the influence of the uneven reflection from the surface can be reduced by using two quadrant photodiodes. The results of surface profile measurement confirm that the system developed provides a resolution of 1 nm scale and a repeatability of approximately 50 nm.
-  N. Ikawa, R. R. Donaldson, R. Komanduri,W. König, T. H. Aachen, P. A. McKeown, T. Moriwaki, and I. F. Stowers, “Ultraprecision metal cutting – the past, the present and the future,” CIRP Annals, 40-2, pp. 587-594, 1991.
-  D. Dornfeld, S. Min, and Y. Takeuchi, “Recent advances in mechanical micromachining,” CIRP Annals, 55-2, pp. 745-768, 2006.
-  H. Yoshioka, H. Sawano, and H. Shinno, “A newly developed ultraprecision machine tool “Angel”,” Proc. of the euspen Int. Conf., 2, pp. 239-242, 2010.
-  C. J. Tay, S. H. Wang, C. Quan, and H. M. Shang, “In situ surface roughness measurement using a laser scattering method,” Optics Communications, 226, pp. 7-13, 2003.
-  K. Mitsui, “In-process sensors for surface roughness and their applications,” Precision Engineering, 8-4, pp. 212-220, 1986.
-  K. Mitsui, M. Sakai, and Y. Kizuka, “Development of a high resolution sensor for surface roughness,” Optical Engineering, 27-6, pp. 498-502, 1988.
-  H. Shinno, H. Yoshioka, and K. Taniguchi, “A newly developed linear motor-driven aerostatic X-Y planar motion table system for nano-machining,” CIRP Annals, 56-1, pp. 369-372, 2007.
-  Y. Kurisaki, H. Sawano, H. Yoshioka, and H. Shinno, “A newly developed X-Y planar nano-motion table system with large travel ranges,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, 4-5, pp. 976-984, 2010.
-  M. Takahashi, H. Yoshioka, and H. Shinno, “A newly developed long-stroke vertical nano-motion platform with gravity compensator,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, 2-3, pp. 356-365, 2008.
-  G. X. Zhang, “A study on the Abbe principle and Abbe error,” CIRP Annals, 38-1, pp.525-528, 1989.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.