Numerical Analyses of Turning-Induced and Mapped Ti6Al4V Residual Stresses for a Disc Subjected to Centrifugal Loading
Shukri Afazov, Svetan Ratchev, Adib Becker, Shulong Liu,
and Joel Segal
Precision Manufacturing Centre, Faculty of Engineering, University of Nottingham, NG7 2RD, UK
The paper investigates the effects of turning-induced and mapped Residual Stresses (RSs) for a Ti6Al4V disc subjected to centrifugal loading. The turninginduced RSs are predicted in orthogonal cutting using the Finite Element Method (FEM). The FE predicted RSs are validated after performing face turning followed by hole drilling and x-ray diffraction measurements. Numerical analyses are carried out at different Cutting Velocities (CVs) to obtain the RS profiles. The results show that the compressive RSs increase by increasing the CV and the depth of cut. A disc subjected to a centrifugal load is modelled using the FEM where the turning-induced RSs are introduced as an initial condition using mapping techniques. The predicted CV-dependent RS profiles are incorporated into the mapping techniques using the shape function approach. It is observed that the stress amplitudes at the points at which failure occurs are lower when the mapped turning-induced RS profiles are considered in the disc FE model. The lower stress amplitudes are related to prolonging the disc life due to fatigue.
-  J. Thiele and S. Melkote, “Effect of Cutting Edge Geometry and Workpiece Hardness on Surface Generation in the Finish Hard Turning of AISI 52100 Steel,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.94, pp. 216-226, 1999.
-  S. M. Afazov, A. A. Becker, and T. H. Hyde, “Effects of Micro-Stresses from Machining and Shot-Peening Processes on Fatigue Life,” Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.51, pp. 711-722, 2010.
-  C. Liu and Y. Guo, “Finite Element Analysis of the Effect of Sequential Cuts and Tool-Chip Friction on Residual Stresses in a Machined Layer,” Int. J. of Mechanical Sciences, Vol.42, pp. 1069-1086, 2000.
-  M.Movahhedy, Y. Altintas, and M. Gadala, “Numerical Analysis of Metal Cutting with Chamfered and Blunt Tools,” ASME J. of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.124, pp. 178-88, 2002.
-  H. Sasahara, T. Obikawa, and T. Shirakashi, “Prediction Model of Surface Residual Stress within a Machined Surface by Combining Two Orthogonal Plane Model,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.44, pp. 815-822, 2004.
-  J. Hua and R. Shivpuri, “Investigation of Cutting Conditions and Cutting Edge Preparations for Enhanced Compressive Subsurface Residual Stress in the Hard Turning of Bearing Steel,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.171, pp. 180-187, 2006.
-  M. Salio, T. Berruti, and G. De Poli, “Prediction of residual stress distribution after turning in turbine disks,” Int. J. of Mechanical Sciences, Vol.48, pp. 976-984, 2006.
-  F. Valiorgue, J. Rech, H. Hamdi, P. Gilles, and J. Bergheau, “A New Approach for the Modelling of Residual Stresses Induced by Turning of 316L,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.191, pp. 270-273, 2007.
-  M. Jacobson, “Surface Integrity of Hard-Turned M50 Steel,” Proc. of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers – Part B: J. of Engineering Manufacture, Vol.216, pp. 47-54, 2002.
-  P. Dahlman, F. Gunnberg, and M. Jacobson, “The Influence of Rake Angle, Cutting Feed and Cutting Depth on Residual Stresses in Hard Turning,” J. of Material Processing Technology, Vol.147, pp. 181-184, 2004.
-  S. M. Afazov, A. A. Becker, and T. H. Hyde, “Mathematical Modelling and Implementation of Residual Stresses Mapping from Micro to Macro FE Models,” ASME J. of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, submited for publication.
-  S. Afazov, “Simulation of Manufacturing Processes and Manufacturing Chains by Using Finite Element Techniques,” PhD Thesis, University of Nottingham, Chapter 6, pp. 111-147,
-  S. M. Afazov, S. Nikov, A. A. Becker, and T. H. Hyde, “Manufacturing Chain Simulation of an Aero-Engine Disc and Sensitivity Analyses of Micro-Scale Residual Stresses,” Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.52, pp. 279-290, 2011.
-  S. Afazov, S. Ratchev, A. Becker, and S. Liu, “Integration, FE Modelling and Experimental Measurements of Residual Stresses Obtained in Micro-turning of Ti6Al4V,” 4th CIRP Int. Conf. on High Performance Cutting, Gifu, Japan, Vol.1, pp. 313-318, 2010.
-  S. M. Ratchev, S. M. Afazov, A. A. Becker, and S. Liu, “Mathematical Modelling and Integration of Micro-Scale Residual Stresses into Axisymmetric FE Models of Ti6Al4V Alloy in Turning,” CIRP J. Of Manufacturing Science and Technology,
-  ABAQUS, “Theory and Analysis User’s Manual,” Version 6.8-3, 2008.
-  P. J. Arrazola, A. Garay, L. M. Iriarte, M. Armendia, S. Marya, and F. Le Maître, “Machinability of Titanium Alloys (Ti6Al4V and Ti555.3),” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.209, pp. 2223-2230, 2009.