Investigation of Profile Cutting on Glass Plates Using a Pulsed UV Laser System
Shih-Feng Tseng*,**, Wen-Tse Hsiao*, Kuo-Cheng Huang*,
Chien-Yao Huang*,**, and Chang-Pin Chou**
*Instrument Technology Research Center, National Applied Research Laboratories, 20 R&D Road VI, Hsinchu Science Park, Hsinchu 30076, Taiwan
**Department of Mechanical Engineering, National Chiao Tung University, 1001 University Road, Hsinchu 30010, Taiwan
A solid-state ultraviolet laser with a circular processing path was used for profile cutting on soda-lime glass plates. Simulation results show that decreasing scanning speed and path spacing and increasing circular processing path frequency yields a smooth cutting edge for the same processing length. Profile glass-plate cutting shows the machined surface with more obvious roughness and numerous microcracks near areas of laser focus than in areas of laser defocusing. This phenomenon is attributed to high laser-energy density and strongly affecting surface roughness.
-  C. T. Pan, C. C. Hsieh, C. Y. Su, and Z. S. Liu, “Study of cutting quality for TFT-LCD glass substrate,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., Vol.39. pp. 1071-1079, 2008.
-  C. H. Tsai and B. W. Huang, “Diamond scribing and laser breaking for LCD glass substrates,” J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol.198, pp. 350-358, 2008.
-  E. S. Prakash, K. Sadashivappa, V. Joseph, and M. Singaperumal, “Nonconventional cutting of plate glass using hot air jet: experimental studies, Mechatroincs,” Vol.11, pp. 595-615, 2001.
-  S. Nikumb, Q. Chen, C. Li, H. Reshef, H. Y. Zheng, H. Qiu, and D. Low, “Precision glass machining, drilling and profile cutting by short pulse lasers,” Thin Solid Films, Vol.477, pp. 216-221, 2005.
-  C. H. Tsai and B. C. Lin, “Laser cutting with controlled fracture and pre-bending applied to LCD glass separation,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., Vol.32, pp. 1155-1162, 2007.
-  S. Nisar, M. A. Sheikh, L. Li, and S. Safdar, “Effect of thermalstresses on chip-free diode laser cutting of glass,” Opt. Laser Technol., Vol.41, pp. 318-327, 2009.
-  Y. Z. Wang and J. Lin, “Characterization of the laser cleaving on glass sheets with a line-shape laser beam,” Opt. Laser Technol., Vol.39, pp. 892-899, 2007.
-  J. Jiao and X.Wang, “A numerical simulation of machining glass by dual CO2-laser beams,” Opt. Laser Technol., Vol.40, pp. 297-301, 2008.
-  J. Jiao and X. Wang, “Cutting glass substrates with dual-laser beams,” Opt. Laser Eng., Vol.47, pp. 860-864, 2009.
-  K. R. Kim, J. H. Kim, D. F. Farson, H. W. Choi, and K. H. Kim, “Hybrid laser cutting for flat panel display glass,” Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol.47, No.8, pp. 6978-6981, 2008.
-  Y. L. Kuo and J. Lin, “Laser cleaving on glass sheets with multiple laser beams,” Opt. Laser Eng., Vol.46, pp. 388-395, 2008.
-  D. Kalyanasundaram, P. Shrotriya, and P. Molian, “Fracture mechanics-based analysis for hybrid laser/waterjet (LWJ) machining of yttria-partially stabilized zirconia (Y-PSZ),” Int. J. Mach. Tools Manuf., Vol.50, pp. 97-105, 2010.
-  L. A. Shitova, N. V. Lalykin, and T. A. Kuznetsova, “Glass edge quality and strength,” Glass Ceram., Vol.48, No.8, pp. 327-329, 1991.
-  C. Hermanns, “Laser cutting of glass,” Proc. SPIE, Vol.4102, pp. 219-226, 2000.
-  M. A. Kamely, M. Y. Noordin, and V. C. Venkatesh, “The effect of multiple pass cutting on surface integrity when hard turning of AISI D2 cold work tool steel,” Int. J. Precision Technology, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 97-105, 2007.
-  C. A. Conceição António, C. F. Castro, and J. P. Davim, “Optimisation of multi-pass cutting parameters in face-milling based on genetic search,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., Vol.44, No.11-12, pp. 1106-1115, 2009.
-  D. R. Olander, “Laser-pulse-vaporization of refractory materials,” Pure Appl. Chem., Vol.62, No.1, pp. 123-138, 1990.
-  W. M. Steen, “Laser Material Processing,” 3rd edn (Berlin: Springer), 2003.
-  R. Qindeel, N. Bidin, and Y. M. Daud, “IR laser plasma interaction with glass,” Am. J. Applied Sci., Vol.4, No.12, pp. 1009-1015, 2007.
-  K. Hiromatsu, D. J. Hwang, and C. P. Grigoropoulos, “Active glass nanoparticles by ultrafast laser pulses,” Micro Nano Lett., Vol.3, No.4, pp. 121-124, 2008.