Full Leg Control of a Quadruped Robot Using Linear Visual Servoing with a Stereo Omnidirectional Camera
Yukinari Inoue* and Noriaki Maru**
*Noritsu Kouki Co. Ltd., 579-1 Umehara, Wakayama, Japan
**Systems Engineering, Wakayama University, Sakaedani 930, Wakayama, Japan
The authors have previously proposed foot tip control for quadruped robots using linear visual servoing (LVS) with a normal stereo camera. However, a normal stereo camera has a narrow field of view and is incapable of seeing all four legs simultaneously. Consequently, it has been a problem that the control of all the legs have required that the rotatation of the camera be controlled. This article proposes a method by which a stereo omnidirectional camera is provided at a position low on the body to control all four legs through LVS. In this article, we at first present a transformation equation from an omnidirectional image to a binocular visual space, and we develop a servo equation of LVS in which an omnidirectional image is used. Then, through simulation, we confirm trajectories with the LVS applied to foot tip control. We also conduct an experiment using TITAN-VIII to demonstrate the efficacy of the proposed method.
-  P. K. Allen, B. Yoshimi, and A. Timucenko, “Real-time visual servoing,” Proceedings of the 1991 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Robotics Automation, pp. 851-856, 1991.
-  A. J. Koivo and N. Houshangi, “Real-time vision feedback for sevoing robotic manipulator with self-tuning controller,” IEEE Trans. Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Vol.21, No.1, pp. 134-142, 1991.
-  L. E. Weiss, A. C. Sanderson and C. P. Neuman, “Dynamic sensorbased control of robots with visual feedback,” IEEE Trans. Robotics and Automation, Vol.RA-3, No.5, pp. 404-417,1987.
-  K. Hasimoto, T. Ebine and H. Kimura, “Visual servoing with Hand-Eye manipulator – Optical Control Approach,” IEEE Trans. Robotics and Automation, Vol.12, No.5, pp. 766-774,1996.
-  K. Hosoda and M. Asada, “Adaptive Visual Servoing Controller with Feedforward Compensator without Knowledge of True Jacobian,” Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.14, No.2, pp. 159-165, 1996 (in Japanese).
-  T. Mitsuda, N. Maru, K. Fujikawa, and F. Miyazaki, “Linear Approximation of the Inverse Kinematics by using a Binocular Visual space,” Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.14, No.8, pp. 1145-1151, 1996 (in Japanese).
-  T. Mitsuda, N. Maru, and F. Miyazaki, “Binocular visual servoing based on linear time-invariant mapping,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.11, No.5, pp. 429-443, 1997.
-  Y. Inoue and N. Maru, “Leg Positioning Control of the Quadruped Robot by Linear Visual Servoing,” Proc. of IEEE Int’l Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems IROS, 2004 (CD-ROM).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.