Basic Study on Laser Forming CAM System for Sheet Material Forming Without Dies or Molds
Toshihiko Nakamura*, Shotaro Ishihara*, Hideki Aoyama*,
Naohisa Matsushita**, and Akihiko Ushimaru**
*Department of System Design Engineering, Keio University, 3-14-1 Hiyoshi, Kohoku-ku, Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa 223-8522, Japan
**FUJITSU LIMITED, 4-1-1 Kamikodanaka, Nakahara-ku, Kawasaki-shi, Kanagawa 211-8588, Japan
Dies and molds are generally used for press forming and injection molding. However, they are expensive and their production is time consuming, so they are not suitable for prototyping or low-volume production. Laser forming is an effective tool for prototyping and low-volume production because it enables one to form sheet material without dies or molds. Laser forming is the deformation process caused by the thermal stress generated in the sheet by laser irradiation. In this paper, a Laser Forming System is proposed for determining laser irradiation conditions for forming a required shape.
-  M. Otsu and H. Miura, “Three-Dimensional Forming of Sheet Metal,” Journal of Japan Laser Processing Society, Vol.10, No.3, pp. 238-242, 2003.
-  T. Ueda, K. Yamada, S. Oikawa, and A. Hosokawa, “Basic Study on Laser Forming,” Journal of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.67 No.2, pp. 300-305, 2001.
-  M. Saeki, A. Sakakibara, and K. Hosokawa, “Simulation of Laser Forming –1st Report, Effect of Plate Thickness and Beam Diameter on Bending Direction–,” Journal of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.74 No.2, pp. 160-165, 2008.
-  Y. Namba and T. Katayama, “Three Dimensional Thermal Elastic-plastic Analysis of Laser Forming Process,” Journal of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.65, No.9, pp. 1330-1334, 1999.
-  M. Osawa, T. Hatayama, T. Okubo, and Y. Uchiyama, “Fundamental Study on Micro-forming by Laser Beam,” Annual Report Research Institute for Technology, No.20, Tokyo Denki University, pp. 113-118, 2001.
-  M. Osawa, Y. Itoh, and H. Sato, “Plastic forming of micro parts by laser beam,” Annual Report Research Institute for Technology, No.23, Tokyo Denki University, pp. 95-100, 2004.
-  M. Osawa, H. Ichikawa, and H. Sato, “Plastic Deformation of Thin Metal Sheet by Laser Beam,” Annual Report Research Institute for Technology, No.25, Tokyo Denki University, pp. 95-100, 2006.
-  T. Miyazaki, M. Saito, T. Tokunaga, T. Misu, and S. Yoshioka, “Diode Laser Forming of Thin Metal Plate Using Pre-bending Effect,” Journal of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.68 No.5, pp. 700-704, 2002.
-  T. Misu, Y. Sano, T. Miyazaki, S. Yoshioka, T. Tokunaga, and Y. Tanaka, “Laser Bending of Thin Metal Plate : Effect of Workpiece Size and Shape on Bending Occurred due to Buckling Mode,” Journal of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.71 No.12, pp. 1536-1540, 2005.
-  Y. Okamoto, Y. Uno, K. Ohta, T. Shibata, S. Kubota, and Y. Namba, “Study on Precision Laser Forming of Plastic with YAG Laser,” Journal of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.66 No.6, pp. 891-895, 2000.
-  Y. Uno, Y. Okamoto, T. Shibata, and M. Ohkubo, “Study on Laser Forming of Plastic by YAG Laser : Effect of Specimen Thickness on Deformation Characteristics,” Journal of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.68 No.3, pp. 466-471, 2002.
-  W. Shichun and J. Zhong, “FEMsimulation of the deformation field during the laser forming of sheet metal,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.121, pp. 269-272, 2002.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.