Development of Pneumatic Parallel Force Feedback
Yasunobu Hitaka*, Yoshito Tanaka**, Yutaka Tanaka**,
Junko Ishii*, and Yin Yaobao***
*Department of Control and Information System Engineering, Kitakyushu National College of Technology, 5-20-1 Shii Kokuraminamiku, Kitakyushu, Fukuoka 802-0985, Japan
**Hosei University, 3-7-2 Fujimi, Chiyodaku, Tokyo 102-8160, Japan
***Tongji University, 1239 Siping Road, Shanghai 200092, P. R. China
The increasing number of paralyzed persons and a shortage of the physical therapist is becoming an increasing problem, focusing attention on rehabilitation support. Noting the increase in wrist paralysis, we are developing corresponding rehabilitation support. Our basic approach centers on force feedback system based on the parallel 6-degree-of-freedom (DOF) Stewart platform. This parallel mechanism consists of six pneumatic cylinders whose thrust is controlled by pulse width modulation (PWM). Each cylinder has two solenoid valves for pushing and pulling controlled by PWM signals from a programmable interface controller (PIC). The influence of pneumatic cylinder control on air compression must be considered, so we guaranteed accumulator effects on control characteristics. We confirmed that cylinder thrust is applicable to the pneumatic parallel mechanism, and experimental force control results are presented.
Junko Ishii, and Yin Yaobao, “Development of Pneumatic Parallel Force Feedback,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.4, No.4, pp. 380-387, 2010.
-  D. Stewart, “A Platform with 6 degrees of freedom,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng., Vol.180, Part I, No.15, pp. 371-386, 1965-66.
-  Lung-Wen Tsai, “Robot Analysis,” John Wiley & Sons, Inc.1999, pp116.
-  M. Takaiwa and T. Noritsugu, “Development of Human-Robot Haptic Interface Using Pneumatic Parallel Manipulator,” Proc. 4th JHPS Int. Symp. on Fluid Power, pp. 181-186, 1999.
-  Y. Tanaka, T. Nakajima, and T. Sawada, “Desktop Type of Force Display Using Pneumatic Parallel Mechanism,” Proceedings of the Fourth International Symposium on Fluid Power Transmission and Control (ISFP’2003, Paper for Plenary Session), pp. 267-271, April 2003.
-  T. Moriki, Y. Tanaka, Y. Tanaka, I. Yokomichi, Y. Hitaka, J. Ishii, and C. Wada, “Force control of 6-DOF Pneumatic Joystick,” Proceedings of the 12th International Symposium on Artificial Life and Robotics in Beppu, Japan.
-  Y. Hitaka, Y. Tanaka, and J. Ishii, “Force Analysis of the 6-DOF Parallel Manipulators,” Proceedings of the 12th International Symposium on Artificial Life and Robotics in Beppu, Japan.