Study on Applying Cavitation in Micro Drilling of Austenite Stainless Steel — Control of Burr in Through Hole Drilling —
Akira Mizobuchi* and Hitoshi Ogawa**
*Institute of Technology and Science, The University of Tokushima, 2-1 Minamijyousanjima-cho, Tokushima 770-8506, Japan
**Tokushima Prefectural Industrial Technology Center, 11-2 Nishibari Saiga-cho, Tokushima 770-8021, Japan
Microdrilling is required to produce nozzles for fiber, fuel etc. A problem arising in microdrilling is the need to remove chips to avoid tool breakage. This paper deals with how cavitation affects machining fluid using ultrasonic vibration for chip control. Thrust force, hole shape and burr formation are observed in drilling austenite stainless steel SUS304 with a through hole 0.1mm in diameter. Cavitation-assisted drilling reduces chip adhesion and burr height while drilling number increases, as compared to conventional drilling. During through-hole drilling, cavitation occurs in a blister generated by machining fluid at the hole exit. The burr height in cavitation-assisted drilling is smaller than that in conventional drilling. Tool life in through-hole drilling is the same as in blind-hole drilling. We studied the effect of cavitation on burr removal using B4C powder.
-  T. Moriwaki and E. Shamoto, “Ultraprecision Diamond Turning of Stainless Steel by Applying Ultrasonic Vibration,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.40, No.1, pp. 559-562, 1991.
-  The Japan Society for Technology of Plasticity, “Ultrasonic Vibration Applied Processing,” Morikita Publishing Co., Ltd., 211, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  H. Wada and K. Yoshida, “Burrless Drilling of Metals,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.66, No.7, pp. 1109-1114, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  K. Adachi, N. Arai et al., “A Study on Burr in Low Frequency Vibratory Drilling,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.52, No.7, pp. 1205-1210, 1986 (in Japanese).
-  H. Takeyama, S. Kato et al., “Study on Oscillatory Drilling Aiming at Prevention of Burr,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.59, No.10, pp. 1719-1724, 1993 (in Japanese).
-  H. Onikura, O. Ohnishi et al., “Effects of Ultrasonic Vibration on Machining Accuracy in Microdriling,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.62, No.5, pp. 676-680, 1996 (in Japanese).
-  H. Onikura and O. Ohnishi, “Drilling Mechanisms in Ultrasonic-Vibration Assisted Microdrilling,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.64, No.11, pp. 1633-1637, 1998 (in Japanese).
-  H. Ogawa, M. Masuda et al., “Effect of Cavitation of Cutting Fluid in Micro Drilling (1st Report),” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.72, No.5, pp. 626-630, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  K. Takazawa, “Burr Technology,” Asakura Publishing Co., Ltd., 73, 1980 (in Japanese).