Latest Trends in Deburring Technology
Koichi Kitajima* and Akihiro Yamamoto**
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Science and Technology, Kansai University 3-3-35 Yamate-cho, Suita, Osaka 564-8680, Japan
**Hyogo Prefecutual Institute of Technology 3-1-12 Yukihira-cho, Suma-ku, Kobe, Hyogo 654-0037, Japan
This paper details the standardization of edge quality in Japan, its meaning to design, burr formation mechanisms and their control, and deburring methods to provide burring technology basics and trends. Deburring is essential to designing functional edges, and the principles of machining, such as edge shape, require that burr formation be minimized. Selecting the appropriate deburring method is vital and requires that many factors be considered. Microdeburring is increasingly in demand, as exemplified by the dissemination of Aero Lap shot blasting.
-  Japanese Standards Association, “Edge quality and its grades for material removal parts,” JIS B0721, 2004.
-  K. Iwata, K. Ueda, and K. Okuda, “Study of Burrs Formation in Cutting based on Direct SME Observation,” J. of Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.48, No.4, pp. 510-515, 1982.
-  T. Obikawa, T. Matumura, and E. Usui, “Chip Formation and Exit Failure of Cutting Edge (1st Report),” J. of Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.56, No.2, pp. 336-342, 1990.
-  E. Usui, T. Obikawa, and T. Matumura, “Chip Formation and Exit Failure of Cutting Edge (2nd Report),” J. of Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.56, No.5, pp. 911-916, 1990.
-  M. Hashimura, K. Ueda, K. Manabe, and D. A. Dornfeld, “Analysis of Burr Formation in Orthogonal Cutting,” J. of Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.66, No.2, pp. 218-223, 2000.
-  K. Takazawa and K. Kitajima, “Burr Technology — Basics —,” Sakura Plan and Press. Tokyo, p.69, 2002.
-  K. Kitajima, “Latest Trend in Deburring and Edge Finishing for Supporting the High Quality and the High Fictionalization of Advanced Products,” Mechanical Engineering, Vol.56, No.13, pp. 18-22, 2008.
-  K. Kitajima and K. Yamashita, “Blast Polishing by Utilizing of Multi-Corn Media,” J. of Japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Vol.50, No.9, pp. 505-508, 2006.
-  K. Yamashita, K. Kitajima, K. Hamada, and G. Kuratani, “Mirror Polishing and Deburring Technology by AERO LAP,” J. of Japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Vol.52, No.2, pp. 66-69, 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.