Development of Axial Encoder to Measure Spindle Axial Motion
Mitsuyoshi Nomura, Takahiro Kawashima, Takayuki Shibata, Yoshihiko Murakami, Masami Masuda, and Osamu Horiuchi
Toyohashi University of Technology
1-1 Hibarigaoka, Tempaku-cho, Toyohashi, Aichi 441-8580, Japan
This paper deals with a newly developed axial encoder to measure spindle axial motion. The axial encoder was composed of a cylindrical rod with circular gratings and an optical encoder head. They were respectively mounted on the spindle nose and the worktable of a vertical milling machine. It has been ascertained by experiments that the prototype can digitally measure spindle axial motion with a resolution of 0.1 μm.
-  X. Luo, K. Cheng, D. Webb, and F. Wardle, “Design of ultraprecision machine tools with applications to manufacture of miniature and micro components,” J. Materials Processing Technology, Vol.167 pp. 515-528, 2005.
-  J. Chae, S. S. Park, and T. Freiheit, “Investigation of micro-cutting operations,” Int. J. Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.46, pp. 313-332, 2006.
-  S. Nakamura and Y. Kakino, “An analysis on preload increment and displacement of a rotating high speed spindle,” J. JSPE, Vol.58, No.12, pp. 2019-2025, 1992 (in Japanese).
-  K. Mitsui, “Development of a new measuring method for spindle rotation accuracy by three points method,” Proc Int MTDR Conf, Vol.23, pp. 115-121, 1983.
-  N. Ozawa, Y. Kitamura, T. Kohno, and Y. Okazaki, “A new measuring method for spindle error motion using a cube-corner prism and laser interferometers,” J. JSPE, Vol.56, No.2, pp. 381-387, 1990 (in Japanese).
-  E. R. Marsh, “Precision Spindle Metrology,” DEStech Publications, Lancaster, Pa., 2008.
-  M. Nomura, T. Kawashima, T. Shibata, Y. Murakami, M. Masuda, and O. Horiuchi, “Development of a prototype of radial encoder to measure spindle radial motion,” Academic Journal of Manufacturing Engineering, Vol.6, No.4, pp. 84-89, 2008.
-  Private communications from two different companies who are producing optical linear encoders.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.