Head-Positioning Control of Hard Disk Drives Through the Integrated Design of Mechanical and Control Systems
Mechanical Engineering Research Laboratory, Research & Development Group, Hitachi, Ltd.
1 Kirihara, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 252-8588, Japan
A Hard Disk Drive (HDD) is an inexpensive mass-production product, but the head-positioning control systems of HDDs require nanometer-scale positioning performance. Therefore, we have studied head-positioning control systems of HDD using designs which integrate mechanical and control systems to improve their control performance while curbing cost increases. In this paper, we introduce “disturbance suppression in high-frequency ranges through phase stable design for high-order mechanical resonances” and “high servo-bandwidth design through mode shape design of mechanical resonance” as examples of techniques that have been developed and are easily applied to products.
-  K. Ono and T. Teramoto, “Design Methodology to Stabilize the Natural Modes of Vibration of a Swing-Arm Positioning Mechanism,” ASME Adv. Info. Storage Syst., Vol.4, pp. 343-359, 1992.
-  M. Kobayashi, T. Yamaguchi, T. Yoshida, and H. Hirai, “Carriage acceleration feedback multi-sensing controller for sector servo systems,” Proceedings of International Conference on Micromechatronics for Information and Precision Equipment, Vol.37, No.2, pp. 886-870, 1997.
-  F. Huang, T. Semba, W. Imaino, and F. Lee, “Active Damping in HDD Actuator,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol.37, No.2, pp. 847-849, 2001.
-  M. Kobayashi, S. Nakagawa, T. Atsumi, and T. Yamaguchi, “High-Bandwidth Servo Control Designs for Magnetic Disk Drives,” AIM Proceedings, Como, pp. 1124-1129, 2001.
-  S. Nakagawa, M. Kobayashi, and T. Yamaguchi, “A higher bandwidth servo design with strain feedback control for magnetic disk drives,” Proceedings of the American Control Conference, pp. 2547-2552, 2003.
-  K. Mori, T. Munemoto, H. Otsuki, Y. Yamaguchi, and K. Akagi, “A dual-stage magnetic disk drive actuator using a piezoelectric drive for a high track density,” IEEE Transaction of Magnetics, Vol.27, No.6, pp. 5298-5302, 1991.
-  S. Koganezawa, Y. Uematsu, T. Yamada, H. Nakano, J. Inoue, and T. Suzuki, “Dual-Stage Actuator System for Magnetic Disk Drives Using a Shear Piezoelectric Microactuator,” IEEE Transaction on Magnetics, Vol.34, No.4, pp. 1910-1912, 1998.
-  M. White, T. Hirano, H. Yang, K. Scott, S. Pattanaik, and F. Huang, “High-bandwidth hard disk drive tracking using a moving-slider MEMS microactuator,” Proceedings of The 8th IEEE International Workshop on Advanced Motion Control, pp. 299-304, 2004.
-  M. Karaman, Y. Lu, and M. Bedillion, “Comparison of suspension-based and slider-based microactuators for track following performance,” Proceedings of The 8th IEEE International Workshop on Advanced Motion Control, pp. 347-351, 2004.
-  T. Atsumi, T. Arisaka, T. Shimizu, and T. Yamaguchi, “Vibration Servo Control Design for Mechanical Resonant Modes of a Hard-Disk-Drive Actuator,” JSME International Journal, C, Vol.46, No.3, pp. 819-827, 2003.
-  T. Atsumi, T. Shimizu, T. Arisaka, and H. Masuda, “Integrated Design of a Controller and a Structure for Head-positioning in Hard Disk Drives, Journal of Vibration and Control,” Vol.12, No.7, pp. 713-736, 2006.
-  T. Arisaka, T. Shimizu, H. Masuda, T. Atsumi, and G. Nakamura, “Development of a Head Actuator Based on the New Design Concept for the Wide Servo bandwidth in a Hard Disk Drives,” Proceedings of the 2003 JSME-IIP/ASME-ISPS Joint conference on MIPE, pp. 187-188, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.