Submillimeter Micropart Feeding Along an Asymmetric Femtosecond-Laser-Microfabricated Surface
Atsushi Mitani* and Shinichi Hirai**
*Department of Design, Sapporo City University
Sapporo, Hokkaido 005-0864, Japan
**Department of Robotics, Ritsumeikan University
Kusatsu, Shiga 525-8577, Japan
-  A. Mitani, N. Sugano, and S. Hirai, “Micro-parts feeding by a sawtoothsurface,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol.11,No.6, pp. 671-681, 2006.
-  T. Ninomiya, H. Sawada et al., “Formation of Periodic SurfaceStructure by Double-pulsed Femtosecond Laser Irradiation,” Journalof the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.71, No.7,pp. 921-925, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Ando and J. Ino, “The effect of asperity array geometry on frictionand pull-off force,” Transactions of the ASME Journal of Tribology,Vol.119, pp. 781-787, 1997.
-  K. S. J. Pister, R. S. Fearing, and R. T. Howe, “A planar air levitatedelectrostatic actuator system,” Procs. of IEEE Micro ElectroMechanical System, pp. 67-71, 1990.
-  Y. Fukuta et al., “Conveyor for pneumatic two-dimensional manipulationrealized by arrayed MEMS and its control,” Journal ofRobotics and Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.2, pp. 163-170, 2004.
-  S. Konishi and H. Fujita, “A conveyance system using air flow basedon the concept of distributed micro motion systems,” IEEE/ASMEJournal of Microelectromechanical system, Vol.3, No.2, pp. 54-58,1994.
-  S. Konishi et al., “Experimental investigation of distributed conveyancesystem using air flow,” Procs. of 1998 International Symposiumon Micro Mechatronics and Human Science, pp. 195-200,1998.
-  S. Konishi, Y. Mizoguchi, and K. Ohno, “Development of a noncontactconveyance system composed of distributed nozzle units,”Procs. of 7th International Workshop on Emerging Technologiesand Factory Automation, pp. 593-598, 1999.
-  M. Arai et al., “An air-flow actuator array realized by bulk micromachiningtechnique,” Procs. of IEEJ the 19th Sensor Symposium,pp. 447-450, 2002.
-  P. -J. Ku et al., “Distributed control system for an active surfacedevice,” Procs. of the 2001 IEEE International Conference onRobotics and Automation, pp. 3417-3422, 2001.
-  M. Ataka et al., “Fabrication and operation of polyimide bimorphactuators for a ciliary motion system,” IEEE/ASME Journal of MicroelectromechanicalSystem, Vol.2, No.4, pp. 146-150, 1993.
-  J. W. Suh et al., “CMOS integrated ciliary actuator array as ageneral-purpose micromanipulation tool for small objects,” Journalof Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol.8, No.4, pp. 483-496,1999.
-  J. W. Suh et al., “Fully programmable MEMS ciliary actuator arraysfor micromanipulation tasks,” the Procs. of 2000 IEEE InternationalConference of Robotics and Automation, Vol.2, pp. 1101-1108, 2000.
-  T. Ebefors et al., “A robust micro conveyer realized by arrayed polyimidejoint actuators,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering,Vol.10, pp. 337-349, 2000.
-  H. Oyobe, H. Kitajima, and Y. Hori, “Design and realization ofautonomous decentralized object transfer system: magic carpet,”Procs. of 6th International Workshop on Advanced Motion Control,pp. 25-29, 2000.
-  H. Oyobe and Y. Hori, "Object conveyance system "Magic Carpet"consisting of 64 linear actuators-object position feedback controlwith object position estimation," Procs. of 2001 IEEE/ASME InternationalConference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, Vol.2,pp. 1307-1312, 2001.
-  T. Fukuda et al., “Distributed control of flexible transfer system(FTS) using learning automata,” Procs. of the IEEE InternationalConference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 96-101, 1999.
-  K. -F. Bohringer, B. R. Donald, and N. C. MacDonald, “Upperand lower bounds for programmable vector fields with applicationsto MEMS and vibratory plate parts feeders,” International Workshopon Algorithmic Foundations of Robotics (WAFR), pp. 255-276, 1996.
-  K. -F. Bohringer, B. R. Donald, and N. C. MacDonald, “Singlecrystalsilicon actuator arrays for micro manipulation tasks,” Procs.of the 1996 IEEEWorkshop on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems(MEMS), pp. 7-12, 1996.
-  K. -F. Bohringer, B. R. Donald, R. Mihailovich, and N. C. Mac-Donald, “Sensorless manipulation using massively parallel microfabricatedactuator arrays,” Procs. of the 1994 IEEE InternationalConference on Robotics and Automation, Vol.1, pp. 826-833, 1994.
-  K. -F. Bohringer, B. R. Donald, R.Mihailovich, and N. C. MacDonald,“A theory of manipulation and control for microfabricated actuatorarrays,” Proc. of IEEEWorkshop on Micro Electro MechanicalSystems (MEMS), pp. 102-107, 1994.
-  K. -F. Bohringer, B. R. Donald, and N. C. MacDonald, “What programmablevector fields can (and cannot) do: Force field algorithmsfor MEMS and vibratory plate parts feeders,” Procs. of 1996 IEEEInternational Conference on Robotics and Automation, Vol.1, pp.822-829, 1996.
-  K. -F. Bohringer, V. Bhatt, and K. Goldberg, “Sensorless manipulationusing transverse vibrations of a plate,” Procs. of 1995 IEEEInternational Conference on Robotics and Automation, Vol.24, pp.1989-1996, 1995.
-  K. -F. Bohringer, “Surface modification and modulation in microstructures:controlling protein adsorption, monolayer desorptionand micro-self-assembly,” Journal of Micromechanics and microengineering,Vol.13, S1-S10, 2003.
-  K. -F. Bohringer, “Algorithms for sensorless manipulation using avibrating surface,” Algorithmatica, pp. 389-429, 2000.
-  G. P. Maul and M. B. Thomas, “A systems model and simulationof the vibratory bowl feeder,” Journal of Manufacturing System,Vol.16, No.5, pp. 309-314, 1997.
-  S. Okabe and Y. Yokoyama, “Study on vibratory feeders: calculationof natural frequency of bowl-type vibratory feeders,” ASMEJournal of Mechanical Design, Vol.103, pp. 249-256, 1981.
-  D. Morrey and J. E. Mottershead, “Modelling of vibratory bowlfeeders,” Proceedings of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers, PartC, Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol.200, No.C6, pp. 431-437,1986.
-  P. Wolfsteiner and F. Pfeiffer, “The parts transportation in a vibratoryfeeder,” IUTAM Symposium on Unilateral Multibody Contacts,pp. 309-318, 1999.
-  P. U. Frei, “An intelligent vibratory conveyer for the individual objecttransportation in two dimensions,” Procs. of the 2002 IEEE/RSJInternational Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp.1832-1837, 2002.
-  W. A. Morcos, “On the design of oscillating conveyors ? case of simultaneousnormal and longitudinal oscillations ?,” ASME Journalof Engineering for Industry, Vol.92, No.1, 53, 1970.
-  R. N. Barnes, “A novel design of a vibratory feeder incorporating anintegral cut off valve,” Procs. of International Conference on BulkMaterials Handling and Transportation, pp. 315-319, 1992.
-  J. C. M. Carvalho and M. Dahan, “Modelling a vibratory feeder:a new viewpoint,” Applied Simulation & Modelling, pp. 127-130,1990.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.