Tracking of Overlapped Vehicles with Spatio-Temporal Shared Filter for High-Speed Stereo Vision
Taku Senoo*, Atsushi Konno*, Yunzhuo Wang**, Masahiro Hirano***, Norimasa Kishi***, and Masatoshi Ishikawa**
*Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, Hokkaido University
Kita 14, Nishi 9, Kita-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido 060-0814, Japan
**Information Technology Center, The University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
***Institute of Industrial Science, The University of Tokyo
4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
In this study, we propose a method for measuring the distance and velocity of overlapping vehicles using high-speed stereo vision. The method is based on the correlation filter called MOSSE and is improved by balancing the computation cost and accuracy using the features of high-frame-rate images. To achieve stable tracking, the tracking window was adjusted for each vehicle according to the vehicle distance and the overlapping state. Experiments on the images acquired by the cameras mounted on an actual vehicle were performed to validate the proposed method.
-  H. Amano and T. Uchimura, “Latest Development in SIP-Adus and Related Activities in Japan,” G. Meyer and S. Beiker (Eds.), “Road Vehicle Automation 4,” Springer, pp. 15-24, 2018.
-  V. Milanes, S. E. Shladover, J. Spring, C. Nowakowski, H. Kawazoe, and M. Nakamura, “Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control in Real Traffic Situations,” IEEE Trans. on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol.15, No.1, pp. 296-305, 2014.
-  R. Hult, F. E. Sancar, M. Jalalmaab, A. Vijayan, A. Severinson, M. D. Vaio, P. Falcone, B. Fidan, and S. Santini, “Design and Experimental Validation of a Cooperative Driving Control Architecture for the Grand Cooperative Driving Challenge 2016,” IEEE Trans. on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol.19, No.4, pp. 1290-1301, 2018.
-  L. Guvenc, I. M. C. Uygan, K. Kahraman, R. Karaahmetoglu, I. Altay, M. Senturk, M. T. Emirler, A. E. H. Karci, B. A. Guvenc, E. Altug, M. C. Turan, O. S. Tas, E. Bozkurt, U. Ozguner, K. Redmill, A. Kurt, and B. Efendioglu, “Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control Implementation of Team Mekar at the Grand Cooperative Driving Challenge,” IEEE Trans. on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol.13, No.3, pp. 1062-1074, 2012.
-  R. Kianfar, B. Augusto, A. Ebadighajari, U. Hakeem, J. Nilsson, A. Raza, R. S. Tabar, N. V. Irukulapati, C. Englund, P. Falcone, S. Papanastasiou, L. Svensson, and H. Wymeersch, “Design and Experimental Validation of a Cooperative Driving System in the Grand Cooperative Driving Challenge,” IEEE Trans. on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol.13, No.3, pp. 994-1007, 2012.
-  T. Robinson, E. Chan, and E. Coelingh, “An introduction to the SARTRE platooning programme,” Proc. of 17th World Congress on Intelligent Transport Systems, pp. 1-11, 2010.
-  C. Bergenhem, E. Hedin, and D. Skarin, “Vehicle-to-Vehicle Communication for a Platooning System,” Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, Vol.48, pp. 1222-1233, 2012.
-  D. Jia, K. Lu, J. Wang, X. Zhang, and X. Shen, “A Survey on Platoon-Based Vehicular Cyber-Physical Systems,” IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, Vol.18, No.1, pp. 263-284, 2016.
-  T. Miyamori, J. Tanabe, Y. Taniguchi, K. Furukawa, T. Kozakaya, H. Nakai, Y. Miyamoto, K. Maeda, and M. Matsui, “Development of Image Recognition Processor Based on Configurable Processor,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.17, No.4, pp. 437-446, 2005.
-  S. Kyo, S. Okazaki, T. Koga, and F. Hidano, “A 100 GOPS in-vehicle vision processor for pre-crash safety systems based on a ring connected 128 4-Way VLIW processing elements,” Proc. of IEEE Symposium on VLSI Circuits, pp. 28-29, 2008.
-  M. Kimachi, Y. Wu, and S. Ogata, “A Vehicle Recognition Method Robust against Vehicles’ Overlapping Based on Stereo Vision,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Intelligent Transportation Systems, pp. 865-869, 1999.
-  Z. M. Yang and C. C. Kong, “A Video Based Method of Occlusion Vehicle Completion,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer and Communications, pp. 1368-1372, 2020.
-  W. Zhang, Q. M. J. Wu, X. Yang, and X. Fang, “Multilevel Framework to Detect and Handle Vehicle Occlusion,” IEEE Trans. on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 161-174, 2008.
-  H. Li, Z. Zhang, and W. Chen, “Detection for Vehicle’s Overlap Based on Support Vector Machine,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Information Management, Innovation Management and Industrial Engineering, pp. 410-412, 2009.
-  X. Cui, L. Sun, K. Zhang, and W. Zhang, “Multi-motion Target Recognition and Perception Method Based on Information Fusion,” Proc. of Chinese Automation Congress, pp. 6426-6431, 2020.
-  W. Chu, Y. Liu, C. Shen, D. Cai, and X. S. Hua, “Multi-Task Vehicle Detection With Region-of-Interest Voting,” IEEE Trans. on Image Process, Vol.27, No.1, pp. 432-441, 2018.
-  W. Zhang, Y. Zheng, Q. Gao, and Z. Mi, “Part-Aware Region Proposal for Vehicle Detection in High Occlusion Environment,” IEEE Access, Vol.7, pp. 100383-100393, 2019.
-  S. P. Lin, Y. H. Chen, and B. F. Wu, “A Real-Time Multiple-Vehicle Detection and Tracking System with Prior Occlusion Detection and Resolution, and Prior Queue Detection and Resolution,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, pp. 828-831, 2006.
-  J. Yin and G. Sun, “Adaptive Multi-Strategy for Multi-Vehicle with Mutual Occlusion Tracking,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Audio, Language and Image Processing, pp. 743-748, 2014.
-  N. K. Kanhere and S. T. Birchfield, “Real-Time Incremental Segmentation and Tracking of Vehicles at Low Camera Angles Using Stable Features,” IEEE Trans. on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 148-160, 2008.
-  W. Y. Kow, W. L. Khong, F. Wong, I. Saad, and K. T. K. Teo, “Adaptive Tracking of Overlapping Vehicles via Markov Chain Monte Carlo with CUSUM Path Plot Algorithm,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Computational Intelligence, Communication Systems and Networks, pp. 253-258, 2011.
-  A. Ghasemi and R. Safabakhsh, “A real-time multiple vehicle classification and tracking system with occlusion handling,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Intelligent Computer Communication and Processing, pp. 109-115, 2012.
-  W. L. Khong, W. Y. Kow, Y. K. Chin, I. Saad, and K. T. K. Teo, “Overlapping Vehicle Tracking via Adaptive Particle Filter with Multiple Cues,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Control System, Computing and Engineering, pp. 460-465, 2011.
-  D. Zhao, H. Fu, L. Xiao, T. Wu, and B. Dai, “Multi-Object Tracking with Correlation Filter for Autonomous Vehicle,” Sensors, Vol.18, No.7, Article No.2004, 2018.
-  S. Avidan, “Support vector tracking,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.26, No.8, pp. 1064-1072, 2004.
-  D. S. Bolme, J. R. Beveridge, B. A. Draper, and Y. M. Lui, “Visual object tracking using adaptive correlation filters,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 1315-1320, 2010.
-  J. F. Henriques, R. Caseiro, P. Martins, and J. Batista, “High-Speed Tracking with Kernelized Correlation Filters,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, pp. 583-596, 2014.
-  T. Senoo, Y. Yamakawa, S. Huang, K. Koyama, M. Shimojo, Y. Watanabe, L. Miyashita, M. Hirano, T. Sueishi, and M. Ishikawa, “Dynamic Intelligent Systems Based on High-Speed Vision,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.31, No.1, pp. 45-56, 2019.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.