Flexible Light-Induced Self-Written Optical Waveguide Using Gel Material
Ryo Futawatari, Hidetaka Terasawa, and Okihiro Sugihara
7-1-2 Yoto, Utsunomiya, Tochigi 321-8585, Japan
For in-vehicle optical communication systems, an air gap exists between two plastic optical fibers (POFs) to avoid damage to the POF end due to vibrations. There exists the disadvantage that a loss occurs in air gaps. To solve the issue of high-loss optical coupling, in this study, we designed a light-induced self-written (LISW) optical waveguide between POFs using gel material. It was demonstrated that the two optical fibers were automatically interconnected through the LISW optical waveguide, and the connection maintained the adhesiveness against mechanical displacement.
-  S. Kobayashi, K. Horiguchi, Y. Hyakutake, and O. Sugihara, “Evaluation of Modal Power Distribution of Automotive Optical Gigabit Ethernet Connections,” J. Lightwave Technol., Vol.35, Issue 17, pp. 3664-3670, 2017.
-  T. Matsui, T. Yamashita, and M. Kagami, “Improvement in Positioning Accuracy of Light-Induced Self-Written Polymeric Optical Waveguide Using an “Optical Solder” Effect,” Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol.45, No.37, pp. L1033-L1035, 2006.
-  T. Yoshimura, A. Hori, Y. Yoshida, Y. Arai, H. Kurokawa, T. Namiki, and K. Asama, “Coupling Efficiencies in Reflective Self-Organized Lightwave Network (R-SOLNET) Simulated by the Beam Propagation Method,” IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol.17, No.8, pp. 1653-1655, 2005.
-  O. Sugihara, S. Yasuda, B. Cai, K. Komatsu, and T. Kaino, “Serially Grafted Polymer Optical Waveguides Fabricated by Light-Induced Self-Written Waveguide Technique,” Opt. Lett., Vol.33, Issue 3, pp. 294-296, 2008.
-  B. Cai, K. Komatsu, O. Sugihara, M. Kagami, M. Tsuchimori, T. Matsui, and T. Kaino, “A three-dimensional polymeric optical circuit fabrication using a femtosecond laser-assisted self-written waveguide technique,” Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol.92, Issue 25, pp. 253-302, 2008.
-  H. Terasawa, F. Tan, O. Sugihara, A. Kawasaki, D. Inoue, T. Yamashita, M. Kagami, O. Maury, Y. Bretonnière, and C. Andraud, “Light-induced self-written waveguide fabrication using 1550 nm laser light,” Opt. Lett., Vol.42, Issue 11, pp. 2236-2238, 2017.
-  H. Terasawa and O. Sugihara, “Near-Infrared Self-Written Optical Waveguides for Fiber-to-Chip Self-Coupling,” J. Lightwave Technol., Vol.39, Issue 23, pp. 7472-7478, 2021.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.