Automated Steering Control System for Reverse Parking Maneuver of Semi-Trailer Vehicles Considering Motion Planning by Simulation of Feedback Control System
Yutaka Hamaguchi* and Pongsathorn Raksincharoensak**
*Hino Motors, Ltd.
3-1-1 Hinodai, Hino, Tokyo 191-8660, Japan
**Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
2-24-16 Naka-cho, Koganei, Tokyo 184-8588, Japan
With the increase in the demand for road freight transportation, semi-trailers are being increasingly preferedowing to their large maximum load capacity. However, for such vehicles, excellent driving skills are required because unique steering is often necessary during reverse parking. In this paper, the concept of a parking assist system and path tracking controller is proposed. The control system consists of a pure pursuit motion planner for handling the reference path tracking and a feedback controller for stabilizing the hitch angles. We propose a control method to realize the ideal control performance of an actual vehicle subjected to unmeasured disturbance. An actual full-scale vehicle experiment is conducted and the effectiveness of the proposed approach is verified by evaluating the error from the target parking position.
-  American Transportation Research Institute, “Indentifying Autonomous Vehicle Technology Impacts on the Trucking Industry,” 2016.
-  Japan Trucking Association, “State and Future Challenges of Track Transportation Industry in Japan,” pp. 11-16, 2019 (in Japanese).
-  R. M. DeSantis, “Path-tracking for a Tractor-Trailer-like Robot: Communication,” The Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.13, No.6, pp. 533-544, 1994.
-  M. Sampei, T. Tamura, T. Kobayashi, and N. Shibui, “Arbitrary path tracking control of articulated vehicles using nonlinear control theory,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 125-131, 1995.
-  C. Altafini, A. Speranzon, and K. H. Johansson, “Hybrid Control of a Truck and Trailer Vehicle,” C. J. Tomlin and M. R. Greenstreet (Eds.), “Hybrid Systems: Computation and Control,” pp. 21-34, Springer, 2002.
-  M. Werling, P. Reinisch, M. Heidingsfeld, and K. Gresser, “Reversing the General One-Trailer System: Asymptotic Curvature Stabilization and Path Tracking,” IEEE Trans. on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol.15, No.2, pp. 627-636, 2014.
-  O. Ljungqvist, N. Evestedt, D. Axehill, and M. Cirillo, and H. Pettersson, “A path planning and path-following control framework for a general 2-trailer with a car-like tractor,” J. of Field Robotics, Vol.36, No.8, pp. 1345-1377, 2019.
-  M. Kunitake, P. Raksincharoensak, Y. Mochizuki, and E. Nagano, “Reverse Parking Support Technology for Articulated Vehicles,” Proc. of JSAE Annual Congress (Spring), pp. 2781-2785, 2017 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Hamaguchi and P. Raksincharoensak, “Automated Steering Control of Parking Assist System for Articulated Vehicles,” Proc. of 14th Int. Symp. on Advanced Vehicle Control (AVEC’18), WeA2-3, 2018.
-  C. Altafini, “Some properties of the general n-trailer,” Int. J. of Control, Vol.74, No.4, pp. 409-424, 2001.
-  O. Amidi and C. E. Thorpe, “Integrated mobile robot control,” Fibers ’91, Boston, MA, Vol.1388, pp. 504-523, 1991.
-  R. C. Coulter, “Implementation of the Pure Pursuit Path Tracking Algorithm,” Carnegie Mellon University, Technical Report CMU-RI-TR-92-01, 1992.
-  C. Pradalier and K. Usher, “Robust trajectory tracking for a reversing tractor trailer,” J. of Field Robotics, Vol.25, Nos.6-7, pp. 378-399, 2008.
-  H. Berg and J. Larsson, “Vehicle perception with LiDAR and deep learning,” Master’s thesis, Chalmers University, 2018.
-  T. Tsubouchi, “Introduction to Simultaneous Localization and Mapping,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.31, No.3, pp. 367-374, 2019.