Application of Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems (MEMS) as Sensors: A Review
Ahmad Athif Mohd Faudzi*,**, Yaser Sabzehmeidani*, and Koichi Suzumori***
*Centre for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
Jalan Sultan Yahya Petra, Kampung Datuk Keramat, Kuala Lumpur 54100, Malaysia
**School of Electrical Engineering, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
Johor Bahru 81310, Malaysia
***School of Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology
2-12-1 Ookayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8552, Japan
This paper presents a review of the current applications of Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems (MEMS) in the robotics and industrial applications. MEMS are widely used as actuators or sensors in numerous respects of our daily life as well as automation lines and industrial applications. Intersection of founding new polymers and composites such as silicon and micro manufacturing technologies performing micro-machining and micro-assembly brings about remarkable growth of application and efficacy of MEMS devices. MEMS indicated huge improvement in size reduction, higher reliability, multi-functionality, customized design, and power usage. Demonstration of various devices and technologies utilized in robotics and industrial applications are illustrated in this article along with the use and the role of silicon in the development of the sensors. Some future trends and its perspectives are also discussed.
-  E. L. Lawrence, I. Fassola, S. Dayanidhi et al., “An evaluation of clustering techniques to classify dexterous manipulation of individuals with and without dysfunction,” Proc. of the 6th Int. IEEE/EMBS Conf. on Neural Engineering (NER ’13), pp. 1254-1257, 2013.
-  R. N. Dean Jr. and A. Luque, “Applications of Microelectromechanical Systems in Industrial Processes and Services,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.56, No.4, pp. 913-925, 2009.
-  W. Bacher, W. Menz, and J. Mohr, “The LIGA technique and its potential for microsystems – A survey,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol.42, No.5, pp. 431-441, 1995.
-  R. C. Jaeger and T. N. Blalock, “Microelectronic Circuit Design,” 3rd Edition, McGraw-Hill, 2008.
-  J. Bryzek, “Emergence of a $Trillion MEMS Sensor Market,” Sensor Con., 2012.
-  Yole Développement, “Status of the MEMS Industry,” 2003.
-  Yole Développement, “Status of the MEMS Industry,” 2018.
-  W. Xu, B. Lijin, M. Duan et al., “A Wireless Dual-mode Micro Thermal Flow Sensor System With Extended Flow Range by Using CMOS-MEMS Process,” IEEE Micro electro mechanical systems (MEMS), pp. 824-827, 2018.
-  A. M. Almassri, W. Z. Wan Hasan, S. A. Ahmad et al., “Pressure Sensor: State of the Art, Design, and Application for Robotic Hand,” J. of Sensors, Vol.2015, Article ID 846487, 2015.
-  T. Han, S. Kundu et al., “3D Printed Sensors for Biomedical Applications: A Review,” J. Sensors, Vol.19, No.7, Article 1706, 2019.
-  G. Gabriel, I. Erill et al., “Manufacturing and full characterization of silicon carbide-based multi-sensor micro-probes for biomedical applications,” Microelectron. J., Vol.38, No.3, pp. 406-415, 2007.
-  N. Maluf, “An Introduction to Microelectromechanical Systems Engineering,” Artech House, 2000.
-  C. Li, J. Wang, and S.-C. Chen, “Flexure-based dynamic-tunable five-axis nanopositioner for parallel nanomanufacturing,” Precis. Eng., Vol.45, pp. 423-434, 2016.
-  Y. Yamanishi, S. Sakuma, and F. Arai, “Production and Application of High-Accuracy Polymer-Based Magnetically Driven Microtool,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.20, No.2, pp. 273-279, 2008.
-  N. Afsarimanesh, S. C. Mukhopadhyay, and M. Kruger, “Planar Interdigital Sensors and Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy,” Electrochemical Biosensor: Point-of-Care for Early Detection of Bone Loss, pp. 33-44, 2019.
-  M. P. Khorgade and A. Gaidhane, “Applications of MEMS in Robotics and BioMEMS,” 2011 UKSim 13th Int. Conf. on Computer Modelling and Simulation, pp. 522-527, 2011.
-  Z. Wang, S. Lee et al., “Nanowire-based sensors for biological and medical applications,” IEEE Trans. NanoBiosci., Vol.15, No.3, pp. 186-199, 2016.
-  P. A. Gary, “Modeling and Optimization of a Silicon Photosensor for a Reading Aid,” Stanford Electronics Labs, Stanford University, 1967.
-  D. W. Hill, “Progress in medical instrumentation over the past fifty years,” J. Phys. E Sci. Instrum., Vol.1, No.7, pp. 697-701, 1968.
-  N. Afsarimanesh, S. C. Mukhopadhyay, and M. Kruger, “Molecularly imprinted polymer-based electrochemical biosensor for bone loss detection,” IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., Vol.65, No.6, pp. 1264-1271, 2018.
-  A. Nag, A. I. Zia et al., “Novel Sensing Approach for LPG Leakage Detection: Part I – Operating Mechanism and Preliminary Results,” IEEE Sens. J., Vol.16, No.4, pp. 996-1003, 2016.
-  D. Young and P. Cong, “Wireless Implantable Sensors: From Lab to Technology Breakthrough Ambitions,” Sens. Actuators A Phys., Vol.294, pp. 81-90, 2019.
-  K. Suzumori, H. Furusawa et al., “2A1-N-085 Development of a Micro Linear Pump: 1st report: Design, Prototype and Characteristics Evaluation (MEMS and Nano-technology 1, Mega-Integration in Robotics and Mechatronics to Assist Our Daily Lives),” Proc. of JSME Annual Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics (Robomec), 2005.
-  G. Ciuti, L. Ricotti et al., “MEMS sensor technologies for human centred applications in healthcare, physical activities, safety and environmental sensing: A review on research activities in Italy,” Sensors, Vol.15, No.3, pp. 6441-6468, 2015.
-  A. C. R. Grayson, R. S, Shawgo et al., “A BioMEMS review: MEMS technology for physiologically integrated devices,” Proc. IEEE 2004, Vol.92, No.1, pp. 6-21, 2004.
-  K. Suzumori, T. Kanda, T. Hashimoto, and J. Ochi, “Active Mouse for Physical Man-Machine Interaction,” Proc. of the 11th National Conf. on Machines and Mechanisms (NaCoMM-2003), pp. 297-303, 2003.
-  S. Yoshioka, A. Nagano, D. C. Hay et al., “New Method of Evaluating Muscular Strength of Lower Limb Using MEMS Acceleration and Gyro Sensors,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.25, No.1, pp. 153-161, 2013.
-  S. Middelhoek and S. A. Audet, “Silicon Sensors,” London Academic Press, 1989.
-  D. Hirooka, T. Yamaguchi, N. Furushiro, K. Suzumori, and T. Kanda, “Highly responsive and stable flow control valve using a PZT transducer,” 2016 IEEE Int. Ultrasonics Symp. (IUS), pp. 1-3, 2016.
-  T. Kobayashi, N. Makimoto et al., “Linear actuation piezoelectric microcantilever using tetragonal composition PZT thin films,” IEEE 26th Int. Conf. on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS), pp. 413-416, 2013.
-  W. R. Ali and M. Prasad, “Piezoelectric MEMS based acoustic sensors: A review,” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol.301, 2020.
-  W. H. Ko, J. T. Suminto, and G.-J. Yeh, “Bonding techniques for microsensors,” C. D. Fung, P. W. Cheung, W. H. Ko, and D. G. Fleming (Eds.), “Micromachining and Micropackaging for Transducers,” Elsevier, pp. 41-61, 1985.
-  T. Okuda and S. Kidoaki, “Development of Time-Programmed, Dual-Release System Using Multilayered Fiber Mesh Sheet by Sequential Electrospinning,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.22, No.5, pp. 579-586, 2010.
-  A. B. Frazier, “Recent applications of polyimide to micromachining technology,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol.42, No.5, pp. 442-448, 1995.
-  H. Huang and C. Fu, “Different fabrication methods of out-of-plane polymer hollow needle arrays and their variations,” J. Micromech. Microeng., Vol.17, No.2, pp. 393-402, 2007.
-  T. Rehman, A. A. M. Faudzi, D. E. O. Dewi et al., “Design, characterization, and manufacturing of circular bellows pneumatic soft actuator,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., Vol.93, pp. 4295-4304, 2017.
-  B. Xiong, L. Che, and Y. Wang, “A novel bulk micromachined gyroscope with slots structure working at atmosphere,” Sens. Actuators A, Phys., Vol.107, No.2, pp. 137-145, 2003.
-  M. H. Lee and H. R. Nicholls, “Review Article Tactile sensing for mechatronics – a state of the art survey,” Mechatronics, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 1-31, 1999.
-  P. S. Girāo, P. M. P. Ramos, O. Postolache, and J. M. D. Pereira, “Tactile sensors for robotic applications,” Measurement, Vol.46, No.3, pp. 1257-1271, 2013.
-  N. Manikandan, S. Muruganand et al., “Design and fabrication of MEMS based intracranial pressure sensor for neurons study,” Vacuum, Vol.163, pp. 204-209, 2019.
-  F. Ceyssens, S. Sadeghpour et al., “Actuators: Accomplishments, opportunities and challenges,” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol.295, pp. 604-611, 2019.
-  A. Abuzaiter, M. Nafea, A. A. M. Faudzi et al., “Thermomechanical behavior of bulk NiTi Shape-Memory-Alloy Microactuators based on Bimorph Actuation,” Microsystem Technologies, Vol.22, No.8, pp. 2125-2131, 2016.
-  X. Wu, S. Rakheja, and P.-E. Boileau, “Distribution of human–seat interface pressure on a soft automotive seat under vertical vibration,” Int. J. of Industrial Ergonomics, Vol.24, No.5, pp. 545-557, 1999.
-  T. Tanaka, T. Takahashi, M. Suzuki, and Aoyagi, “Development of Minimally Invasive Microneedle Made of Tungsten – Sharpening Through Electrochemical Etching and Hole Processing for Drawing up Liquid Using Excimer Laser –,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.25, No.4, pp. 755-761, 2013.
-  T. M. van Beek et al., “A piezo-resistive resonant MEMS amplifier,” Int. Electron Devices Meet. (IEDM), pp. 1-4, 2008.
-  N. A. Djuzhev, D. V. Novikov, G. D. Demin et al., “An experimental study on MEMS-based gas flow sensor for wide range flow measurements,” 2018 IEEE Sensors Applications Symp. (SAS), pp. 1-4, 2018.
-  Y. Ting, J.-S. Huang, J.-L. Huang, and C.-M. Yang, “Effect of polarized electric field on piezoelectric cylinder vibratory gyroscope,” Sens. Actuators A, Phys., Vol.128, No.2, pp. 248-256, 2006.
-  V. Maheshwari and R. Saraf, “Tactile devices to sense touch on a par with a human finger,” Angewandte Chemie Int. Edition, Vol.47, No.41, pp. 7808-7826, 2008.
-  S. Iqbal, R. I. Shakoor et al., “Performance analysis of microelectromechanical system based displacement amplification mechanism,” Iran. J. Sci. Technol. Trans. Mech. Eng., Vol.43, No.3, pp. 507-528, 2019.
-  S. Iqbal and A. Malik, “A review on MEMS based micro displacement amplification mechanisms,” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol.300, Article 111666, 2019.
-  J. P. Giannini, A. G. York, and H. Shroff, “Anticipating, measuring, and minimizing MEMS mirror scan error to improve laser scanning microscopy’s speed and accuracy,” PLoS One, Vol.12, No.10, e0185849, 2017.
-  E. S. Leland, P. K. Wright, and R. M. White, “A MEMS AC current sensor for residential and commercial electricity end-use monitoring,” J. Micromech. Microeng., Vol.19, No.9, 094018, 2019.
-  Y. Li, Q. Li, B. Zhang et al., “The effect of closed-loop optimization enhances the MEMS lidar for rapid scanning,” Optik, 2019.
-  Y. Zhang, B. K. Chen, X. Liu, and Y. Sun, “Autonomous robotic pick-and-place of microobjects,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.26, No.1, pp. 200-207, 2010.
-  J. I. Bae, T. H. An, Y. S. Kim, and C. K. Ryu, “Analysis of digital load cell using 2.4GHz band’s Zig-Bee,” Proc. of the 3rd IEEE Conf. on Industrial Electronics and Applications (ICIEA ’08), pp. 1358-1361, 2008.
-  I. Muller, R. M. de Brito, C. E. Pereira, and V. Brusamarello, “Load cells in force sensing analysis – theory and a novel application,” IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Magazine, Vol.13, No.1, pp. 15-19, 2010.
-  Y. Sun, B. J. Nelson, D. P. Potasek, and E. Enikov, “A bulk microfabricated multi-axis capacitive cellular force sensor using transverse comb drives,” J. of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol.12, No.6, pp. 832-840, 2002.
-  J. Brugger, M. Despont, C. Rossel, H. Rothuizen, P. Vettiger, and M. Willemin, “Microfabricated ultrasensitive piezoresistive cantilevers for torque magnetometry,” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol.73, No.3, pp. 235-242, 1999.
-  S. S. Sastry, M. Cohn, and F. Tendick, “Milli-robotics for remote, minimally invasive surgery,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol.21, Issue 3, pp. 305-316, 1997.
-  J. Iannacci, “RF-MEMS for high-performance and widely reconfigurable passive components – A review with focus on future telecommunications, Internet of Things (IoT) and 5G applications,” J. of King Saud University – Science, Vol.29, Issue 4, pp. 436-443, 2007.
-  M. H. Hristov, K. T. Toshev et al., “Design and simulation of accelerometer springs,” Annual J. Electronics, pp. 49-54, 2008.
-  K. N. Bhat and M. M. Nayak, “MEMS Pressure Sensors – An Overview of Challenges in Technology and Packaging,” Institute of Smart Structures and Systems (ISSS) J. ISSS, Vol.2 No.1, pp. 39-71, 2013.
-  J. Eloy and E. Mounier, “Status of the MEMS industry,” Sensors & Transducers, Vol.26, No.10, pp. 11-17, 2005.
-  K. K. Mistry and A. Mahapatra, “Design and simulation of a thermo transfer type MEMS based micro flow sensor for arterial blood flow measurement,” Microsyst. Technol., Vol.18, No.6, pp. 683-692, 2012.
-  M. Preeti, K. Guha, K. L. Baishnab et al., “Low frequency MEMS accelerometers in health monitoring – A review based on material and design aspects,” Materials Today: Proc., Vol.18, Part 6, pp. 2152-2157, 2019.
-  A. Ya’akobovitz and S. Krylov, “Toward sensitivity enhancement of MEMS accelerometers using mechanical amplification mechanism,” IEEE Sens. J., Vol.10, No.8, pp. 1311-1319, 2010.
-  M. A. C. Silva, D. C. Guerrieri et al., “A review of MEMS micropropulsion technologies for CubeSats and PocketQubes,” Acta Astronautica, Vol.143, pp. 234-243, 2018.
-  O. Z. Olszewski, R. Houlihan et al., “A MEMS silicon-based piezoelectric AC current sensor,” Proc. Eng., Vol.87, pp. 1457-1460, 2014.
-  Y. H. Bai, J. T. W. Yeow, and B. C. Wilson, “Design, fabrication, and characteristics of a MEMS micromirror with sidewall electrodes,” J. Microelectromech. Syst., Vol.19, No.3, pp. 619-631, 2010.
-  H. Kawaoka, T. Yamada, M. Matsushima et al., “Detection of kinetic heartbeat signals from airflow at mouth by catheter flow sensor with temperature compensation,” 2016 IEEE 29th Int. Conf. on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS), pp. 359-362, 2016.
-  E. S. Leland, C. T. Sherman, P. Minor, R. M. White, and P. K. Wright, “A new MEMS sensor for AC electric current,” Sensors IEEE, pp. 1177-1182, 2010.
-  S. Dong, S. Duan, Q. Yang et al., “MEMS-based smart gas metering for internet of things,” IEEE Internet Things J., Vol.4, No.5, pp. 1296-1303, 2017.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.