MACROTIS: Cubic Robot with Snap-Through-Buckling Mechanisms for Achieving High Freedom of Movement
Kwanwai Mak, Koichi Osuka, Yasuhiro Sugimoto, and Teruyo Wada
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Osaka University
2-1 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
Based on the design of an inertia-driven modular robot, this paper proposes a new design of cubic robot using snap-through-buckling mechanisms as actuators for achieving translational and rotational motion in multiple directions. Through experiments, the characteristics of the mechanism were obtained, and performance of the robot was assessed.
-  K. Gilpin and D. Rus, “Modular robot systems,” IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine, Vol.17, No.3, pp. 38-55, 2010.
-  H. Kurokawa, K. Tomita, A. Kamimura, E. Yoshida, S. Kokaji, and S. Murata, “Distributed self-reconfiguration control of modular robot m-tran,” 2005 IEEE Int. Conf. on Mechatronics and Automation, Vol.1, pp. 254-259, 2005.
-  J. W. Romanishin, K. Gilpin, and D. Rus, “M-blocks: Momentum-driven, magnetic modular robots,” 2013 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 4288-4295, 2013.
-  T. Hirano, M. Ishikawa, and K. Osuka, “Control and development of cylindrical mobile robot,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.25, No.2, pp. 392-399, 2013.
-  T. Yoshimitsu, T. Kubota, and I. Nakatani, “MINERVA rover which became a small artificial solar satellite,” AIAA/USU Conf. on Small Satellites, 2006.
-  J. Reill, H. J. Sedlmayr, P. Neugebauer, M. Maier, E. Krämer, and R. Lichtenheldt, “MASCOT – asteroid lander with innovative mobility mechanism,” 13th Symp. on Advanced Space Technologies in Robotics and Automation (ASTRA), 2015.
-  K. Ohgata, K. Osuka, K. Tadakuma, H. Mochiyama, and M. Bando, “On acutator unit for asteroid exploration rover using buckling phenomenon,” Proc. of the 57th Space Science and Technology Conf., JSASS-2013-4224, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  T. B. A. Lastrilla, K. Osuka, Y. Sueoka, and Y. Sugimoto, “Design Proposal for a Small Asteroid Surface Rover HORUS,” The 3rd Multi-Symp. on Control Systems (MSCS), 2D3-5, 2016.
-  A. Yamada, H. Mochiyama, and H. Fujimoto, “Statics analysis of the robotic catapults based on the closed elastica,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.26, No.2, pp. 169-177, 2008 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.