Promotion of Self-Growth of Students by PBL-Type Manufacturing Practice
Keiko Nakatani, Tomoharu Doi, Takeshi Wada, and Tadahiro Kaneda
Osaka Prefecture University College of Technology
26-12 Saiwaicho, Neyagawashi, Osaka 572-8572, Japan
We report a practical case example of robot manufacturing practice using a Project Based Learning method, a type of active learning educational method, conducted in the 2015 and 2016 school years. The practice is a compulsory class for fourth-year students in the mechatronics course of a technical college. We study the influence of the class on planning ability, designing ability, and manufacturing ability as engineers, and basic ability as members of society. In addition, we analyze the process of the practice, state of students, and results of a questionnaire survey to show the effectiveness of the practice as a means of practical career education.
-  J. Bransford, A. Brown, and R. Cocking, “How people learn: Brain, mind, experience, and school,” National Academy Press, 2000.
-  N. Miyake and H. Shirouzu, “A collaborative approach to teach cognitive science to undergraduates: The learning sciences as a means to study and enhance college student learning,” Psychologia, Vol.18, No.2, pp. 101-113, 2006.
-  H. Satoh et al., “Engineering Experiments in Manufacturing Education,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.2, pp. 231-238, 2011.
-  L. Xiao, “Active Learning Based on Manual Skills for Students in Mechatronics Course,” J. of Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics, Vol.19, No.2, pp. 307-311, 2015.
-  K. Aoki, “Practice of organized team-activities on engineering foundations education,” J. JSEE, Vol.57, No.5, pp. 23-28, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  T. M. Andrews, M. J. Leonard, C. A. Colgrove, and S. T. Kalinowski, “Active Learning Not Associated with Student Learning in a Random Sample of College Biology Courses,” CBE – Life Science Education, Vol.10, pp. 394-405, 2011.
-  R. Fukui et. al., “Educational Activities with a Focus on Robot Strategies – Through the Development of LEGO Manipulation Robots –,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.5, pp. 759-767, 2011.
-  T. Kaneda et al., “Development of Educational Materials for Construction of Mechatronic Systems and Their Application,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.5, pp. 638-644, 2011.
-  Y. Hayashibara et al., “Education Method of Robotics with Jigsaw Method by Using RT Component,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.5, pp. 830-839, 2011.
-  T. Doi, N. Satonaka, T. Kaneda, K. Yoshida, S. Fujisawa, and Y. Moriyama, “Development of Curriculum aimed at Cultivating Creativity,” J. of The Japan Association for College of Technology, Vol.2, No.3, pp. 34-39, 1997 (in Japanese).
-  T. Doi, S. Higashida, N. Shigei, and T. Obata, “Proposal of Some Evaluation Methods of Project Based Learning and Practice,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.31, No.2, pp.65-70, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  T. Kaneda, S. Fujisawa, N. Satonaka, T. Doi, and T. Yoshida, “Robotics-Mechatronics Education aimed to train A Synthetic Ability,” Trans.IEE of Japan, Vol.119-C, No.3, pp. 413-418, 1999 (in Japanese).
-  T. Kaneda, S. Fujisawa, T. Yoshida, Y. Yoshitani, T. Nishi, Y. Shidama, and K. Wasaki, “Ensemble by Seven Musical Performance Robots,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.13, No.1, pp. 50-55, 2001.
-  D. Sekimori, I. Matsuno, S. Ohmori, Y. Nabeshima, H. Nishiyama, M. Shinohara, S. Doi, K. Sano, T. Doi, J. Ozaki, R. Kurozumi, and T. Asakaw, “The Contest on Useful Vehicles in Event of Disasters,” J. of Education in Japanese College of Technology “KOSEN KYOUIKU,” No.38, pp. 601-606, 2015.
-  Y. Kimura, S. Minoda, T. Wada, and T. Kaneda, “Development of Stretcher Robot,” The 16th SICE System Integration Division Annual Conf. (SI2015), pp. 2495-2496, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  K. Nakatani, C. Inoue, T. kawamura, and M. kozuka, “A Report on Career Development of Female Students at OPUCT – How did We Help Rose to Launch Its Project? –,” Proc. of Annual Conf. of Japanese Society for Engineering Education, No.62, pp. 184-185, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  K. Nakatani and C. Inoue, “Design of Self-Directed Human Resource Development Platform – How did We Help ROSE to Launch Its Project? –,” Proc. of Annual Conf. of Japanese Society for Engineering Education, No.64, pp. 88-89, 2016 (in Japanese).
-  N. Miyake et al., “Special Issue on Education of Robotics & Mechatronics “Focusing on the Learning Process and Producing an Education Literature,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.5, pp. 607-610, 2011.
-  G. Caplan, “The theory and practice of mental health consultation,” Basic Books, 1970.
-  D. Brown et al., “Psychological Consultation: Introduction to Theory and Practice,” Allyn & Bacon, 1991.
-  S. Higashida, “Shin-Jibun Design book,” Vol.1, Net School Shuppan, 2011(in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.