Digital Human Models for Human-Centered Design
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST)
Central #1, 1-1-1 Umezono, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8560, Japan
Digital human models represent variations of body shapes for the target end-user population. They can simulate human motions, evaluate workloads, and are utilized to assess safety and usability of products and environments in a virtual space with computer-aided design. The digitalized process can reduce actual test panels, time and cost for human-centered design. Recent trends in research show that the target population of digital human models includes people with special needs. Moreover, digital human models are embedded into interactive tools to support design workshop.
-  V. G. Duffy, “Handbook of Digital Human Modeling,” CRC Press, 2009.
-  E. C. Kingsley, N. A. Schofield, and K. Case, “SAMMIE – A Computer Aid for Man Machine Modeling,” ACM SIGGRAPH Computer Graphics, Vol.15, No.3, pp. 163-169, 1981.
-  F. Azuola, N. Badler, P. H. Ho, S. Huh, E. Kokkevis, and B. J. Ting, “Jack Validation Study,” University of Pennsylvania, DAMD 17-94-J-4486 P50002, 1996.
-  A. Seidl, “RAMSIS – A New CAD-Tool for Ergonomic Analysis of Vehicles Developed for the German Automotive Industry,” SAE Technical Paper 970088, pp. 51-57, 1997.
-  X. Wang, M. Maurin, F. Mazet, N. D. C. Maia, K. Voinot, J. P. Verriest, and M. Fayet, “Three-dimensional modelling of the motion range of axial rotation of the upper arm,” J. of biomechanics, Vol.31, No.10, pp. 899-908, 1998.
-  J. A. C. Bittner, J. R. J. Wherry, and F. A. Glenn Iii, “CADRE: a family of manikins for workstation design,” Technical Report 2100.07B, Naval Air Development Center Warminster, PA, 1986.
-  K. Abdel-Malek, J. Yang, T. Marler, S. Beck, A. Mathai, X. Zhou, A. Patrick, and J. Arora, “Towards a new generation of virtual humans,” Int. J. of Human Factors Modelling and Simulation, Vol.1. No.1, pp. 1-39, 2006.
-  M. Damsgaard, J. Rasmussen, S. T. Christensen, E. Surma, and M. de Zee, “Analysis of Musculoskeletal Systems in the AnyBody Modeling System,” Simulation, Vol.14, No.8, pp. 1100-1111, 2006.
-  E. Svensson, E. Bertilsson, D. Högberg, and L. Hanson, “Anthropometrics and Ergonomics Assessment in the IMMA manikin,” Proc. of 3rd Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics (AHFE) Int. Conf. 2010, 2010.
-  M. Mochimaru, M. Kouchi, N. Miyata, M. Tada, H. Yoshida, K. Aoki, K. Kawachi, and Y. Motomura, “Dhaiba: Functional Human Models to Represent Variation of Shape, Motion and Subjective Assessment,” SAE Digital Human Modeling for Design and Engineering Conf. 2006 (DHM2006), 2006-01-2345, 2006.
-  B. Allen, B. Curless, and Z. Popovi’c, “Articulated Body Deformation from Range Scan Data,” ACM Trans. on Graphics (ACM SIGGRAPH 2002), Vol.21, No.3, pp. 612-619, 2002.
-  M. P. Reed and B. K. D. Park, “Comparison of Boundary Manikin Generation Methods,” 5th Int. Digital Human Modeling Symposium 2017 (DHM2017), DHM-020FP, 2017.
-  M. Mochimaru and M. Kouchi, “Statistics of 3-D body shapes using PCA or MDS and their applications,” 17th World Congress on Ergonomics (IEA 2009), 2009.
-  Y. Endo, M. Tada, and M. Mochimaru, “Estimation of Arbitrary Human Models from Anthropometric Dimensions,” Int. Conf. on Digital Human Modeling and Applications in Health, Safety, Ergonomics and Risk Management (DHM2015), pp. 3-14, 2015.
-  A. Murai, Y. Endo, and M. Tada, “Anatomographic Volumetric Skin-Musculoskeletal Model and Its Kinematic Deformation With Surface-Based SSD,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Letter, Vol.1, No.2, pp. 1103-1109, 2016.
-  P. Richard, “Robot manipulators: mathematics, programming, and control: the computer control of robot manipulators,” MIT Press, 1981.
-  K. Abdel-Malek and J. Arora, “Human Motion Simulation – Predictive Dynamics,” Academic Press, 2013.
-  N. Delfs, R. Bohlin, P. Mårdberg, S. Gustafsson, and J. S. Carlson, “Comparison of Algorithms for Automatic Creation of Virtual Manikin Motions,” Advances in Applied Human Modeling and Simulation, pp. 285-294, CRC Press, 2012.
-  Y. Endo, S. Kanai, N. Miyata, M. Kouchi, M. Mochimaru, J. Konno, M. Ogasawara, and M. Shinokawa, “Optimization-Based Grasp Posture Generation Method of Digital Hand for Virtual Ergonomics Assessment,” SAE Int. J. of Passenger Cars – Electronic and Electrical Systems, Vol.1, pp. 590-598, 2009.
-  K. Kawachi, K. Aoki, M. Mochimaru, and M. Kouchi, “Motion Distribution Map of Ingress to Driver’s Seats,” SAE Digital Human Modeling for Design and Engineering Conf. 2007 (DHM2007), 2007.
-  N. Miyata and M. Mochimaru, “Hand Posture Estimation for the Disposition Design of Controls on an Automobile Steering Wheel,” Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics Conf. 2010 (AHFE2010), 2010.
-  H. Y. Choi, M. Han, A. Hirao, and H. Matsuoka, “Virtual Occupant Model for Riding Comfort Simulation,” 12th Int. Modelica Conf., 2017.
-  Y. L. Lin and M. J. Wang, “Digital Human Modeling and Clothing Virtual Try-on,” Int. Conf. on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management, 2014.
-  M. Kouchi, M. Mochimaru, B. Bradtmiller, H. Daanen, P. Li, B. Nacher, and Y. Nam, “A Protocol for Evaluating the Accuracy of 3D Body Scanners – Landmark Locations and Surface Shape,” Asian Workshop on 3D Body Scanning Technologies, pp. 139-146, 2012.
-  S. Ullmann and L. Fritzsche, “Ergonomic work design for older and performance-restricted workers using digital human models,” 5th Int. Digital Human Modeling Symposium 2017 (DHM2017), DHM-016FP, 2017.
-  G. Harih, R. Nohara, and M. Tada, “Finite Element Digital Human Hand Model-Case Study of Grasping a Cylindrical Handle,” J. of Ergonomics, Vol.7, p. 190, 2017.
-  P. R. Castro, N. Mahdavian, E. Brolin, D. Högberg, and L. Hanson, “IPS IMMA for designing human-robot collaboration workstations,” 5th Int. Digital Human Modeling Symposium 2017 (DHM2017), DHM-003FP, 2017.
-  H. Ibayashi, Y. Sugiura, D. Sakamoto, N. Miyata, M. Tada, T. Kurata, M. Mochimaru, and T. Igarashi, “Dollhouse VR: a multi-view, multi-user collaborative design workspace with VR technology,” SIGGRAPH Asia 2015 Emerging Technologies, Article No.8, 2015.
-  N. Miyata, T. Honoki, Y. Maeda, Y. Endo, M. Tada, and Y. Sugiura, “Wrap & sense: Grasp capture by a band sensor,” 29th Annual Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST 2016), pp. 87-89, 2016.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.