Analysis of Trunk Stabilization Effect by Passive Power-Assist Device
Yumeko Imamura*1, Takayuki Tanaka*1, Yoshihito Suzuki*2,
Kazuki Takizawa*3, and Masanori Yamanaka*4
*1Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, Hokkaido University, N14-W9, Kita-ku, Sapporo 060-0814, Japan
*2Smart Support Technologies Inc., S1-W5, Chuo-ku, Sapporo 060-0061, Japan
*3Institute for the Advancement of Higher Education, Hokkaido University, N17-W8, Kita-ku, Sapporo 060-0817, Japan
*4Graduate School of Health Science, Hokkaido University, N12-W5, Kita-ku, Sapporo 060-0812, Japan
Passive power-assist supporter
We are developing a passive power assist supporter called Smart Suit Lite. Smart Suit Lite, a compact, lightweight device, uses the force of elastic belts both to support muscles and to stabilize the torso in a way similar to the corset. It is reported that the corset stabilizes posture, and decreases intradiscal pressure by applying pressure around the pelvis. The mechanism behind this remains to be fully elucidated, however, and has not been used actively for power assist devices. This study aims to construct a mechanical model of trunk stabilization generated by assistive devices. In this paper, we propose modeling based on basic experiments measuring motions under static conditions.
Kazuki Takizawa, and Masanori Yamanaka, “Analysis of Trunk Stabilization Effect by Passive Power-Assist Device,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.26, No.6, pp. 791-798, 2014.
-  K. Suzuki, G. Mito, H. Kawamoto, Y. Hasegawa, and Y. Sankai, “Intention-Based Walking Support for Paraplegia Patients with Robot Suit HAL,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.21, No.12, pp. 1441-1469, 2007.
-  N. Yamazaki and N. Takahashi, “Suit-type Back Muscle Supporter Utilizing Body Surface Deformation During Care Motions,” Biomechanisms, Vol.17, pp. 235-244, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Muramatsu, H. Kobayashi, Y. Sato, H. Jiaou, T. Hashimoto, and H. Kobayashi, “Quantitative Performance Analysis of Exoskeleton Augmenting Devices -Muscle Suit- for Manual Worker,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.4, pp. 559-567, 2011.
-  S. Toyama, “Development of Power Assisted Suits for Agriculture,” J. of the Japanese Society of Agricultural Machinery, Vol.72, No.2, pp. 109-113, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  S. Yoshinari, D. Maeda, Y. Nakajima, and K. Kuwano, “Assist Device to Decrease Physical Burden of Agricultural Workers,” Proc. of the 2010 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, 1P1-C03, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Imamura, T. Tanaka, Y. Suzuki, K. Takizawa, and M. Yamanaka, “Motion-Based-Design of Elastic Material for Passive Assistive Device Using Musculoskeletal Model,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.6, pp. 978-990, 2011.
-  A. Okawa, M. Enomoto, S. Tomizawa, S. Kawabata, and K. Shinomiya, “An effectiveness of a lumbar corset for patients with low back pain estimated by surface electromyography,” The J. of Japanese Society of Lumbar Spine Disorders, Vol.15, No.1, pp. 52-57, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  A. L. Nachemson, “The lumbar spine: an orthopaedic challenge,” Spine, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 59-71, 1976.
-  A. Kanemura, K. Sato, A. Kurihara, T. Iguchi, K. Kasahara, and K. Itoh, “Surface electromyographic evaluation of trunk muscle activity on lifting simulation,” The J. of Japanese Society of Lumbar Spine Disorders, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 146-152, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  J. M. Morris, D. B. Lucas, and B. Bresler, “Role of the Trunk in Stability of the Spine,” The J. of Bone & Joint Surgery, Vol.43, No.3, pp. 327-351, 1961.
-  T. Matsumaru, S. Fukuyama, and T. Sato, “Model for Analysis of Weight Lifting Motion Considering the Abdominal Pressure Increased by Valsalva Maneuver,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, C, Vol.72, No.724, pp. 3863-3870, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  D. L. Bartelink, “The role of abdominal pressure in relieving the pressure on the lumbar intervertebral discs,” J. of Bone and Joint Surgery, 39B, pp. 718-725, 1957.
-  J. Cholewicki, K. Juluru, A. Radebold, M. M. Panjabi, and S. M. McGill, “Lumbar spine stability can be augmented with an abdominal belt and/or increased intra-abdominal pressure,” European spine J., Vol.8, No.5, pp. 388-395, 1999.
-  S. Hatsushika, “A study on body sway by using a stabilometer – Fundamental study and clinical significance,” Nippon Jibiinkoka Gakkai Kaiho, Vol.90, No.4, pp. 598-612, 1987 (in Japanese).