Monitoring System for Elderly People Using Passive RFID Tags
Yoshikazu Mori* and Shinichiro Kido**
*Department of Intelligent Systems Engineering, Ibaraki University, 4-12-1 Nakanarusawa-cho, Hitachi-shi, Ibaraki 316-8511, Japan
**Hitachi Industry & Control Solutions, Ltd., 5-1-26 Omika-cho, Hitachi-shi, Ibaraki 319-1221, Japan
This paper presents amonitoring systemthat uses passive RFID tags for detection of unexpected loitering and falling of elderly people in nursing homes. This system, which is superior to a video camera in terms of privacy, incorporates tag readers set on ceilings beside a bed and under doors. The system combines the following two methods. The first method targets caregivers and non-senile elderly persons. Each wears an RFID shoulder tag. However, some senile elderly people who are not wearing RFID tags might wander. Therefore, the second method described for this system is based on a phenomenon by which electric waves are attenuated by water. Several RFID tags are put on the floor. Then the presence of a person at that spot is inferred from the number of RFID tags that are responding. Experimental results obtained for a person beside a bed and passing through a door confirm the effectiveness of this system.
Monitoring system using RFID tags
Monitoring system using RFID tags
-  H. I. Krebs and N. Hogan, “Therapeutic Robotics: A Technology Push,” Proc. of the IEEE Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Vol.94, No.9, pp. 1727-1738, 2006.
-  Y. Mori, K. Maejima, K. Inoue, N. Shiroma, and Y. Fukuoka, “ABLE: A Standing Style Transfer System for a Person with Disabled Lower Limbs (Improvement of Stability when Traveling),” Industrial Robot, Vol.38, No.3, pp. 234-245, 2011.
-  F. Cavallo, M. Aquilano, L. Odetti, M. Arvati, and M. C. Carrozza, “A first step toward a pervasive and smart ZigBee sensor system for assistance and rehabilitation,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Rehabilitation Robotics, pp. 632-637, 2009.
-  S. Abbate, M. Avvenuti, P. Corsini, J. Light, and A. Vecchio, “Monitoring of Human Movements for Fall Detection and Activities Recognition in Elderly Care Using Wireless Sensor Network: a Survey,” Wireless Sensor Networks: Application – Centric Design, Chapter 9, 2010. ISBN 978-953-307-321-7
-  I. Kitayama, K. Omori, H. Matsuno, Y. Sugimoto, K. Tamura, M. Tanaka, and K. Tuyama, “Wandering Prevision and Monitoring Systems for Persons with Dementia (Part 1) – Development ofWandering Prevision and Monitoring System –,” Report of The Hyogo Institute of Assistive Technology, pp. 92-97, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  I. Kitayama, K. Omori, H. Matsuno, and Y. Sugimoto, “Wandering Prevision and Monitoring Systems for Persons with Dementia (Part 2) – Usage Survey of Wandering Prevision and Monitoring System/Machine at Nursing Homes and Other Welfare Facilities –,” Report of the Hyogo Institute of Assistive Technology, pp. 98-111, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  K. Tanaka, S. Yoshitake, S. Nakashima, K. Haruyama, and Y. Wakasa, “Elderly People Behavior Detection System Using Several Ultrasonic Radars,” J. of Life Support Engineering, pp. 159-164, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  R. Kaji, K. Hirota, and T. Nishimura, “Proposal of detection method of the state of falling in closed space with RFID tag system,” IPSJ SIG Technical Report, Vol.2008-UBI-20, No.12, pp. 73-80, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  L. Ho, M. Moh, Z. Walker, T. Hamada, and C. F. Su, “A Prototype on RFID and Sensor Networks for Elder Healthcare: Progress Report,” SIGCOMM’05 Workshops, pp. 22-26, 2005.
-  Y. L. Lai and C. C. Chen, “An intelligent RFID fall notification system,” Int. J. of Innovative Computing, Information and Control, Vol.7, No.6, pp. 3133-3145, 2011.
-  M. Takahashi, “Antenna Design for RFID Tags,” Corona Publishing Co., Ltd., 2012 (in Japanese).
-  M. Inagaki and Y. Saito “Attenuation coefficients of water at lower frequency band,” Technical Report of IEICE SANE97-92, pp. 55-60, 1997 (in Japanese).
-  J. Huang, “The Finite Ground Plane Effect on the Microstrip Antenna Radiation Patterns,” IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol.AP-31, No.4, pp. 649-653, 1983.
-  H. Nomura, K. Kubota, H. Kurita, Y. Shimizu, and R. Sato, “Characteristics of Radiation Pattern of Patch Antenna with Sub Ground Planes,” Proc. of SICE Research Conf., pp. 1-8, 1996 (in Japanese).
Supporting Online Materials:[a] Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, “Population Estimates by Age (5-year Age Group) and Sex (Aug. 2013).”
http://www.stat.go.jp/data/jinsui/new.htm [Accessed December 5, 2013]
-  [b] Division of Facilities for Elderly People in Kanagawa, “Conduct manual for designated nursing care insurance companies.”
http://www.rakuraku.or.jp/kaigo2/work/lib/CT541ID5695N70.pdf [Accessed August 3, 2014]
-  [c] Hotron Co., Ltd. “Matta-Kun.”
http://www.hotron.co.jp/product05 1.php [Accessed December 5, 2013]
-  [d] Comfort Co., Ltd. “Angel-Eye.”
http://www.comf.co.jp/ [Accessed December 5, 2013]
-  [e] M. Kouchi, “AIST Database of Human Body Size 1991-92.”
http://www.dh.aist.go.jp/AIST91DB/91-92/data/list.html [Accessed December 5, 2013]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.