Development of Rehabilitation Systems for the Limbs Using Functional Fluids
Junji Furusho and Makoto Haraguchi
Fukui University of Technology, 3-6-1 Gakuen, Fukui City, Fukui 910-0028, Japan
Many patients who have their movement impaired by paralysis after a cerebral stroke require extensive rehabilitation. Rehabilitation support systems for the upper limbs using force display devices are expected to quantify the effects of rehabilitative training and enhance the motivation of patients. Furusho and Haraguchi have developed force display systems for rehabilitation training that use functional yet highly safe fluid actuators and brakes for the EMUL, Robotherapist and PLEMO Series.
-  J. Furusho and M. Haraguchi, “Development of Rehabilitation Robots for Upper Limbs: “PLEMO,” “EMUL,” and “Robotherapist” and Their Global Developing Trend – Focused on Development of Furusho Laboratory in Osaka University, Furusho and Haraguchi Laboratory in Fukui University of Technology,” 2013 IEEE/SICE Int. Symposium on System Integration SII2013, 2013.
-  J. Furusho, “Mechatronics system using ER fluids (review paper),” J. of Japan Hydraulic and Pneumatic Society, Vol.32, No.6, pp. 390-395, 2001.
-  J. Furusho and T. Kikuchi, “Application of robot technology to rehabilitation system for upper/lower limbs (review paper),” Sogo Rehabilitation, Vol.35, No.5, pp. 439-445, 2007.
-  J. Furusho and M. Haraguchi, “Training Aided by Rehabilitation Robot for Upper Limbs Using Robotics,” VR and Physical Therapy Technology, and Its Evaluation Including Brain Activity, Society of Biomechanisms Japan, Vol.33, No.2, pp. 109-116, 2009.
-  J. Furusho et al., “New Actuators Using ER Fluid and Their Applications to Force Display Devices in Virtual Reality and Medical Treatments,” Int. J. of Modern Physics B, Vol.13, No.14-16, pp. 2151-2159, 1999.
-  J. Furusho, K. Koyanagi, J. Kataoka, U. Ryu, A. Inoue, and S. Takenaka, “Development of 3-D rehabilitation system for upper limb (1st report: development of mechanism including ER actuators and whole system),” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.23, No.5, pp. 629-636, 2005.
-  J. Furusho et al., “A 6-DOF Rehabilitation Support System for Upper Limbs including Wrists Robotherapist with Physical Therapy,” the 10th Int. Conf. on Rehabilitation Robotics, 2007.
-  J. Furusho et al., “Development of ER Brake and its Application to Passive Force Display,” J. of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol.13, No.7-8, pp. 425-429, 2002.
-  J. Furusho et al., “Basic Study on Rehabilitation System Using Functional Fluid Brake,” The 15th Bioengineering Conf., pp. 103-104, 2003.
-  T. Ozawa, J. Furusho et al., “Development of Rehabilitation System for Upper Limbs; PLEMO-P3 System for Hemiplegic Subject: Motor Function Test for Assessment and Training, and Research for Development of Practical Type,” the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.76, No.762, pp. 323-330, 2010.
-  T. Ozawa, J. Furusho et al., “Development of Rehabilitation System for Upper Limbs: PLEMO-P3 System for Hemiplegic Subject (Motor Function Test for Assessment and Training, and Research for Development of Practical Type),” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.25, No.1, pp .136-144, 2013.
-  J.Furusho et al., “A Basic Study on a Passive-Type Force Display System with Redundant Brakes: Performance Evaluation Methods and Force Display in Collision,” J. of Fluid Power System, Vol.40, No.5, pp. 79-86, 2009.
-  M. Haraguchi, Y. Jin, and J. Furusho, “Basic research of 2-D rehabilitation system for upper limbs with redundant ER brakes report (1st report: Analysis of its force display ability),” the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.76, No.761, pp. 142-150, 2010.
-  M. Haraguchi and J. Furusho, “2-D Force Display System with Redundant ER Fluid Brake Aimed at Rehabilitation Support System for Upper Limbs, Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics,” Vol.24, No.5, pp. 731-742, 2012.
-  J. Furusho et al., “Basic Study of Rehabilitation System for Upper Limbs with Redundant ER Fluid Brakes,” Proc of the 4th Int. Symposium on Energetic Materials (CD-ROM), 2009.
-  J.Furusho, R. Kawatani, and M. Haraguchi, “Development of the Passive-Type Force Display System “Neo-PLEMO,” Which Can Display the Opposite Resistance Force against Handle on the Arbitrary Link Posture,” the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.78, No.786, pp. 187-198, 2012.
-  M. Haraguchi and J. Furusho, “Basic Research of “MR-PLEMO”: 2-D Passive-Type Rehabilitation System for Upper Limbs Using MR Fluid Brake,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.24, No.5, pp. 743-753, 2012.
-  M. Haraguchi et al., “Evaluation System of Tracking Training for Upper Limbs Using 3D Rehabilitation Robot “EMUL” and Near Infrared Spectroscopy “NIRS”,” the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.76, No.764, pp. 942-948, 2010.
-  A. Fugl-Meyer, L. Jaasko, I. Leyman, et al., “The post-stroke hemiplegic patient: A method of evaluation of physical performance,” Scand. J. Rehabil. Med., Vol.7, pp. 13-31, 1975.
-  M. Haraguchi, J. Furusho, and H. Kojima, “Development of Rehabilitation Systems for Lower and Upper Limbs Using Horizontal and Vertical Displays,” the 56th Japan Joint Automatic Control Conf., 2013.
-  N. Takesue, J. Furusho et al., “Fast Response MR-Fluid Actuator,” JSME Int. J., Series C, Vol.47, No.3, pp. 783-791, 2004.
-  J. Furusho et al., “Development of Intelligent Prosthetic Ankle Joint: 1st Report, Development of Linear-Type MR-Fluid Brake,” the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.70, No.695, pp. 2163-2170, 2004.
-  S. Tanida, T. Kikuchi, and J. Furusho, “The development and clinical evaluation of an intelligent ankle foot orthosis using compact type MR fluid brakes,” Society of Biomechanisms Japan, Vol.34, No.2, pp. 124-131, 2010.
-  J. Furusho et al., “Compact MR Fluid Actuator for Human Friendly System,” T. Higuchi et al. (Eds.), Next Generation Actuator Leading Breakthrough, Springer, pp. 329-336, 2010.
-  J. Noma, H. Abe, et al., “Magnetorheology of colloidal dispersion containing Fe nanoparticles synthesized by arc-plasma method,” J. of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, No.322, pp. 1868-1871, 2010.
-  K. Miyakoshi, K. Domen, T. Koyama, J. Furusho, and K. Koyanagi, “The effect of Robot-aided training on motor recovery following stroke,” The Japanese J. of Rehabilitation Medicine, Vol.43, No.6, pp. 47-352, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  J. Furusho et al., “Dynamics and Control of Biotype Robot System,” Yokendo, pp. 105-154, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  M. Haraguchi, J. Furusho, and T. Ozawa, “Development of Controllable Weight Support System for Walk Rehabilitation and its Evaluation,” the 56th Japan Joint Automatic Control Conf., 2013.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.