A Robust NavigationMethod for Mobile Robots in Real-World Environments
Sam Ann Rahok*, Hirohisa Oneda**, Akio Tanaka*,
and Koichi Ozaki***
*Oyama National College of Technology, 771 Nakakuki, Oyama, Tochigi 323-0806, Japan
**Yuge National College of Maritime Technology, 1000 Yuge, Kamijima, Ehime 794-2593, Japan
***Utsunomiya University, 721 Yoto, Utsunomiya, Tochigi 321-8585, Japan
This paper describes a robust navigation method for real-world environments. The method uses a 3-axis magnetic sensor and a laser range scanner. The magnetic field that occurs in the environment is used as key landmarks in the proposed navigation method, and physical landmarks scanned by the laser range scanner are taken into account in compensating for the mobile robot’s lateral error. An evaluation experiment was conducted during the final run of the Real World Robot Challenge (RWRC) 2013, and the result showed that the mobile robot equipped with the proposed method robustly navigated a 1.6 km course.
and Koichi Ozaki, “A Robust NavigationMethod for Mobile Robots in Real-World Environments,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.26, No.2, pp. 177-184, 2014.
-  T. Yoshida, K. Irie, E. Koyanagi, and T. Masahiro, “3d laser scanner with gazing ability,” in IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Shanghai, pp. 3098-3103, 2011.
-  K. Okamura, T. Ishita, and A. Oya, “The Activity Towards the RWRC 2009: FUJISOFT-Univ. of Tsukuba Joint Team,” J. of the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Vol.49, No.9, pp. 604-607, 2010.
-  S. A. Rahok, Y. Shikanai, and K. Ozaki, “Navigation Using an Environmental Magnetic Field for Outdoor Autonomous Mobile Robots,” Adv. Robotics, Vol.25, No.13-14, pp. 1751-1771, 2011.
-  S. Yuta, M. Mizukawa, H. Hashimoto, H. Tashiro, and T. Okubo, “Tsukuba Challenge 2009 – Towards Robots Working in the Real World: Records in 2009 –,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.2, pp. 201-206, 2011.
-  S. A. Rahok, K. Inoue, and K. Ozaki, “Development of a Mobile Robot to Run in Tsukuba Challenge 2010,” Adv. Robotics, Vol.26, No.14, pp. 1555-1575, 2012.
-  M. Shinohara, S. A. Rahok, K. Inoue, and K. Ozaki, “Development of Localization Method Using Magnetic Sensor and LIDAR,” J. of the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Vol.49, No.8, pp. 795-801, 2013.
-  S. Y. Cho, “Enhanced Tilt Compensation Method for Biaxial Magnetic Compass,” Electronics Letters, Vol.41, No.24, pp. 1323-1325, 2005.
-  S. Y. Cho and C. G. Park, “A Calibration Technique for a Two-Axis Magnetic Compass in Telematics Devices,” ETRI J., Vol.27, No.3, pp. 280-288, 2005.
-  T. Higuchi, “Particle Filter,” J. of The Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers, Vol.88, No.12, pp. 989-994, 2005.
-  M. Yokozuka, Y. Suzuki, T. Takei, N. Hashimoto, and O. Matsumoto, “Auxiliary Particle Filter Localization for Intelligent Wheelchair Systems in Urban Environments,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.22, No.6, pp. 758-766, 2010.
-  J. Eguchi and K. Ozaki, “Development of Method Using a Combination of DGPS and Scan Matching for the Making of Occupancy Grid Maps for Localization,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.25, No.3, pp. 506-514, 2013.
- [a] Aichi Micro Intelligent Corporation, AMI603 Datasheet:
[Accessed December 5, 2013]
Supporting Online Materials:
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.