Development of Mobile Robot System Equipped with Camera and Laser Range Finder Realizing HOG-Based Person Following and Autonomous Returning
Masashi Awai*, Atsushi Yamashita**, Takahito Shimizu*,
Toru Kaneko*, Yuichi Kobayashi*, and HajimeAsama**
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Shizuoka University, 3-5-1 Johoku, Naka-ku, Hamamatsu-shi, Shizuoka 432-8561, Japan
**Department of Precision Engineering, The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
-  M. Misawa, T. Yoshida, and S. Yuta, “A Smart Handcart with Autonomous Returning Function,” J. of Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.25, No.8, pp. 1199-1206, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  T. Lixin and S. Yuta, “Mobile Robot Playback Navigation Based on Robot Pose Calculation Using Memorized Omnidirectional Images,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.14, No.4, pp. 366-374, 2002.
-  N. Tsuda, S. Harimoto, T. Saitoh, and R. Konishi, “Mobile Robot with Following and Returning Mode,” Proc. of the 18th IEEE Int. Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication (ROMAN2009), ThB1.3, pp. 933-938, 2009.
-  T. Shimizu, M. Awai, A. Yamashita, and T. Kaneko, “Mobile Robot System Realizing Human Following and Autonomous Returning Using Laser Range Finder and Camera,” Proc. of the 18th Korea-Japan JointWorkshop on Frontiers of Computer Vision (FCV2012), 2012.
-  S. Okusako and S. Sakane, “Human Tracking with a Mobile Robot using a Laser Range-Finder,” J. of Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.24, No.5, pp. 605-613, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  J. Satake and J. Miura, “Person Following of a Mobile Robot using Stereo Vision,” J. of Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.28, No.9, pp. 1091-1099, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  M. Saito, K. Yamazaki, N. Hatao, R. Hanai, K. Okada, and M. Inaba, “Pedestrian Detection using a LRF and a Small Omni-view Camera for Outdoor Personal Mobility Robot,” Proc. of the 2010 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics (ROBIO 2010), pp. 196-201, 2010.
-  M. Isard and A. Blake, “Condensation-conditional density propagation for visual tracking,” Int. J. of Computer Vision, Vol.29, No.1, pp. 5-28, 1998.
-  R. E. Schapire and Y. Singer, “Improved boosting algorithms using confidence rated predictions,” Machine Learning, No.37, pp. 297-336, 1999.
-  N. Dalal and B. Triggs, “Histograms of Oriented Gradients for Human Detection,” Proc. of the 2005 IEEE Computer Society Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR2005), pp. 886-893, 2005.
-  H. Takahashi, K. Nakamura, H. Zhao, and R. Shibasaki, “Human Identification Using Laser Scanners and Image Sensors,” Proc. of Asian Conf. on Remote Sensing 2007, TS24-2, 2007.
-  T. Kailath, “The Divergence and Bhattacharyya Distance Measures in Signal Selection,” IEEE Trans. on Communication Technology, Vol.COM-15, No.1, pp. 52-60, 1967.
-  P. J. Besl and N. D. Mckay, “A Method for Registration of 3-D Shapes,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis andMachine Intelligence, Vol.14, No.2, pp. 239-256, 1992.
-  S. Iwashina, A. Yamashita, and T. Kaneko, “3-D Map Building in Dynamic Environments by a Mobile Robot Equipped with Two Laser Range Finders,” Proc. of the 3rd Asia Int. Symposium on Mechatronics, TP1-3(1), pp. 1-5, 2008.
-  K. Sato, “Deadlock-free Motion Planning Using the Laplace Potential Field,” Proc. of the Joint Int. Conf. on Mathematical Methods and Supercomputing in Nuclear Applications, pp. 449-461, 1994.
Supporting Online Materials:[a] Daimler Pedestrian Classification Benchmark Dataset,
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.