Switching Control Method for Stable Landing by Legged Robot Based on Zero Moment Point
Naoki Motoi, Kenta Sasahara, and Atsuo Kawamura
Yokohama National University, 79-5 Tokiwadai, Hodogaya-ku, Yokohama 240-8501, Japan
This paper proposes a switching control method to achieve a smooth transition from an edge landing to a sole landing for a legged robot. When a biped robot walks, an undesirable condition at the moment of landing, such as hunting between the ground and the foot, may occur for several reasons. To avoid this condition, this paper focuses on a method that uses simple controllers to ensure a smooth transition from an edge landing to a sole landing. In the event of an edge landing, a force controller should be implemented for a smooth transition to a sole landing. This is because the force controller enables the foot to contact the ground softly. After the landing state is shifted to the sole landing, the control method should be changed to the position controller. Therefore, it is necessary to switch the control method according to the contact condition between the foot and the ground. To avoid the chattering of the controller switching, several hysteresis values are used for the zeromoment point (ZMP) position and ZMP velocity in the switching function. Simulations and experimental results confirmed the validity of the proposed method.
-  S. Kajita, F. Kanehiro, K. Kaneko, K. Yokoi, and H. Hirukawa, “The 3D linear inverted pendulum mode: A simple modeling for a biped walking pattern generation,” Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 239-246, 2001.
-  K. Terada and Y. Kuniyoshi, “Online Gait Planning with Dynamical 3D-Symmetrization method,” Proc. of the IEEE-RAS Int. Conf. of Humanoid Robots, pp. 222-227, 2007.
-  S. Kajita, M. Morisawa, K. Miura, S. Nakaoka, K. Harada, K. Kaneko, and K. Yokoi, “Biped Walking Stabilization Based on Linear Inverted Pendulum Tracking,” Proc. of the IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robotics and Systems, pp. 4489-4496, 2010.
-  T. Aoyama, K. Sekiyama, Y. Hasegawa, and T. Fukuda, “PDAC-Based 3-D BipedWalking Adapted to Rough Terrain Environment,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.24, No.1, pp. 37-46, 2012.
-  Y. Hanazawa and M. Yamakita, “High-Efficient Biped Walking Based on Flat-Footed Passive Dynamic Walking with Mechanical Impedance ad Ankles,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.24, No.3, pp. 498-506, 2012.
-  K. Harada, M. Morisawa, S. Nakaoka, K. Kaneko, and S. Kajita, “Kinodynamic Planning for Humanoid Robots Walking on Uneven Terrain,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.21, No.3, pp. 311-316, 2009.
-  T. Suzuki and K. Ohnishi, “Trajectory Planning of Biped Robot with Twin Kinds of Inverted Pendulums,” Proc. of Power Electronics and Motion Control Conf., pp. 396-401, 2006.
-  F. Ali, N. Motoi, K.V. Heerden, and A. Kawamura, “Ground Reaction Force Reduction of Biped Robot forWalking Along a Step with Dual Length Linear Inverted Pendulum Method,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.25, No.1, pp. 220-231, 2013.
-  E. Ohashi, T. Sata, and K. Ohnishi, “A Walking Stabilization Method Based on Environmental Modes on Each Foot for Biped Robot,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.56, No.10, pp. 3964-3974, 2009.
-  M. Yamada, S. Sano, and N. Uchiyama, “Point-Contact Type Foot with Springs and Landing Control for BipedWalking on Rough Terrain,” Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetic, pp. 2355-2360, 2011.
-  T. Yokomichi and N. Ushimi, “A Study of the Sole Mechanism of Biped Robots to Rough Terrain Locomotion,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.24, No.5, pp. 902-907, 2012.
-  H. Kondo, Y. Ogura, K. Shimomura, S. Momoki, T. Okubo, H. O. Lim, and A. Takanishi, “Emulation of Human Walking by Biped Humanoid Robot with Heel-Contact and Toe-Contact,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.20, No.5, pp. 739-749, 2008.
-  K. V. Heerden and A. Kawamura, “Biped Robot Position Control with Stability-Based Ground Reaction Force and Velocity Constrains,” IEEJ J. of Industry Applications, Vol.2, No.1, pp. 30-39, 2013.
-  S. Kajita, K. Yokoi, M. Saigo, and K. Tanie, “Balancing a Humanoid Robot Using Backdrive Concerned Torque Control and Direct Angular Momentum Feedback,” Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 21-23, 2001.
-  K. Hashimoto, A. Hayashi, T. Sawato, Y. Yoshimura, T. Asano, K. Hattori, Y. Sugahara, H. Lim, and A. Takanishi, “Terrain-Adaptive Control with Small Landing Impact Force for Biped Vehicle,” Proc. of the IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Robotics and Systems, pp. 2922-2927, 2009.
-  R. Tajima, D. Honda, and K. Suga, “Fast Running Experiments Involving a Humanoid Robot,” Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1571-1576, 2009.
-  B. Ugurlu and A. Kawamura, “ZMP-Based Online Jumping Pattern Generation for a One-Legged Robot,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.57, No.5, pp. 1701-1709, 2010.
-  D. Goswami and P. Vadakkepat, “Planner Bipedal Jumping Gaits With Stable Landing,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.25, No.5, pp. 1030-1046, 2009.
-  T. Takenaka, T. Matsumoto, T. Yosiike, and S. Shirokura, “Real Time Motion Generation and Control for Biped Robot – 2nd Report: Running Gait Pattern Generation –,” Proc. of the IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robotics and Systems, pp. 1092-1099, 2009.
-  T. Nagasaki, S. Kajita, K. Kaneko, K. Yokoi, and K. Tanie, “A Running Experiment of Humanoid Biped,” Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 136-141, 2004.
-  K. Nagasaka, M. Inaba, and H. Inoue, “Stabilization of Dynamic walk on a Humanoid Using Torso Position Compliance Control,” Proc. of the Annual Conf. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.17, pp. 1193-1194, 1999.
-  Y. Fujimoto and A. Kawamura, “A Three Dimensional Dynamic Simulation of Biped Walking Robot Considering Collision and Frication between Foot and Ground,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.15, No.6, pp. 857-863, 1997.
-  A. Kawamura and C. Zhu, “The Development of Biped Robot MARI-3 for Fast Walking and Running,” Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Humanoid Robots, pp. 599-604, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.