Presentation of Rapid Temperature Change Using Spatially Divided Hot and Cold Stimuli
Katsunari Sato and Takashi Maeno
Keio University, 4-1-1 Hiyoshi, Kohoku-ku, Yokohama 223-8526, Japan
-  M. Yoshida, “Dimensions of Tactual Impressions (1),” Japanese Psychological Research, Vol.10, No.3, pp. 123-137, 1968.
-  H. Shirado and T. Maeno, “Modeling of Human Texture Perception for Tactile Displays and Sensors,” The First Joint Eurohaptics Conf. and Symposium on Haptic Interface for Virtual Environment and Teleoperator Systems, pp. 629-630, 2005.
-  D. G. Caldwell, “Mechano Thermo and Proprioceptor Feedback for Integrated Haptic Feedback,” Proc. of the 1997 Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2491-2496, 1997.
-  K. Sato, H. Shinoda, and S. Tachi, “Design and Implementation of Transmission System of Initial Haptic Impression,” SICE Annual Conf. 2011, 2011.
-  H.-N. Ho and L. A. Jones, “Thermal Model for Hand-Object Interactions,” Proc. IEEE Symp. Haptic Interfaces for Virtual Environment and Teleoperator Systems (HAPTICS ’03), pp. 461-467, 2006.
-  A. Yamamoto, B. Cros, H. Hasgimoto, and T. Higuchi, “Control of Thermal Tactile Display Based on Prediction of Contact Temperature,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation (ICRA ’04), pp. 1536-1541, 2004.
-  H.-N. Ho and L. A. Jones, “Development and Evaluation of a Thermal Display for Material Identification and Discrimination,” ACM Trans. Applied Perception, Vol.4, pp. 1-24, 2007.
-  I. Darian-Smith, “Thermal Sensibility, Handbook of Physiology: The Nervous System,” I. Darian-Smith (Ed.), pp. 879-913, Am. Physiological. Soc., 1984.
-  D. R. Kenshalo, C. E. Homes, and P. B. Wood, “Warm and Cool Thresholds as a Function of Rate of Stimulus Temperature Change,” Perception and Psychophysics, Vol.3, pp. 81-84, 1968.
-  D. R. Kenshalo, “Correlations of Temperature Sensitivity in Man and Monkey, A First Approximation, Sensory Functions of the Skin with Special Reference to Man,” Y. Zotterman (Ed.), pp. 305-330, Pergamon Press, 1976.
-  J. C. Stevens and K. C. Choo, “Temperature Sensitivity of the Body Surface over the Life Span,” Somatosensory and Motor Research, Vol.15, pp. 13-28, 1998.
-  J. D. Greenspan and D. R. Kenshalo, “The Primate as a Model for the Human Temperature-Sensing System: 2. Area of Skin Receiving Thermal Stimulation,” Somatosensory Research, Vol.2, pp. 315-324, 1985.
-  S. J. Lederman and R. L. Klatzky, “Relative Availability of Surface and Object Properties during Early Haptic Processing,” J. Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, Vol.23, pp. 1680-1707, 1997.
-  D. R. Kenshalo, T. Decker, and A. Hamilton, “Comparisons of Spatial Summation on the Forehead, Forearm, and Back Produced by Radiant and Conducted Heat,” J. Comparative and Physiological Psychology, Vol.63, pp. 510-515, 1967.
-  S. L. Berg, “Magnitude Estimates of Spatial Summation for Conducted Cool Stimuli along with Thermal Fractionation and a Case of Secondary Hyperalgesia,” Ph.D. dissertation, Florida State Univ., 1978.
-  J. A. Businger and K. J. K. Buettner, “Thermal Contact Coefficient (A Term Proposed for Use in Heat Transfer),” J. of Atmospheric Sciences, Vol.18, No.3, pp. 422-422, 1961.
-  S. Akiyama, K. Sato, Y. Makino, and T. Maeno, “Presentation of Thermal Sensation through Preliminary Adjustment of Adapting Skin Temperature,” Proc. of Haptics Symposium 2012, 2012.
-  K. Sato and T. Maeno, “Presentation of Sudden Temperature Change using Spatially Divided Warmand Cool Stimuli,” EuroHaptics 2012, 2012.
-  A. D. Craig and M. C. Bushnell, “The thermal grill illusion: unmasking the burn of cold pain,” Science, Vol.265, No.5169, pp. 252-255, 1994.
-  A. Y. Leung, M. S. Wallace, G. Schulteis, and T. L. Yaksh, “Qualitative and quantitative characterization of the thermal grill,” Pain, Vol.116, pp. 26-32, 2005.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.