A Method for Obtaining High-Coverage 3D Images of Rough Seafloor Using AUV – Real-Time Quality Evaluation and Path-Planning –
Ayaka Kume, Toshihiro Maki, Takashi Sakamaki, and Tamaki Ura
Institute of Industrial Science, The University of Tokyo, 4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
-  B. G. Allen, R. P. Stokey, T. C. Austin et al., “Remus: a small, low cost AUV; system description, field trials and performance results,” Proc. of OCEANS’97MTS/IEEE Conf., Vol.2, pp. 994-1000, 1997.
-  R. Marthiniussen, K. Vestgard, R. A. Klepaker, and N. Storkersen, “Hugin-auv concept and operational experiences to date,” OCEANS’04 MTTS/IEEE TECHNO-OCEAN’04, Vol.2, pp. 846-850, 2004.
-  T. Hyakudome et al., “Autonomous Underwater Vehicle for surveying deep ocean,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Industrial Technology 2009, 2009.
-  T. Ura, “Development of Autonomous Underwater Vehicle “r2D4” and its Operation off Sado and at Kurosima Knoll,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.22, No.6, pp. 709-713, 2004.
-  M. Johnson-Roberson, O. Pizarro, S. B. Williams, and I. Mahon, “Generation and visualization of large-scale three-dimensional reconstructions from underwater robotic surveys,” J. Field Robot., Vol.27, No.1, pp. 21-51, 2010.
-  S. B. Williams, O. Pizarro, M. Jakuba, and N. Barrett, “AUV Benthic Habitat Mapping in South Eastern Tasmania,” FSR 2009, 2009.
-  T. Maki, A. Kume, and T. Ura, “Volumetric mapping of tubeworm colonies in Kagoshima Bay through autonomous robotic surveys,” Deep Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers, Vol.58, pp. 757-767, 2011.
-  T. Nakatani et al., “Seafloor imaging of methane seepage site of Kuroshima knoll by the AUV Tuna-Sand,” Proc. of 22nd meeting of Japan Society for Marine Surveys and Technology, pp. 24-25, 2010.
-  C. I. Connolly, “The Determination of Next Best Views,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics & Automation. pp. 432-435, 1985.
-  D. R. Roberts and A. D. Marshall, “Viewpoint Selection for Complete Surface Coverage of Three Dimensional Objects,” In Proc. of the Britsh Machine Vision Conf., pp. 740-750, 1998.
-  V. Sequeira, J. Goncalves, and M. I. Ribeiro, “Active View Selection for Efficient 3D Scene Reconstruction,” Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, IEEE Computer Society, Vol.1, p. 815, 1996.
-  M. Otsuki and Y. Sato, “Viewpoint Selection of Rangefinder for 3D Shape Measurement,” The Trans. of the Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers, Vol.J81-D-2, No.6, pp. 1269-1277, Jun. 1998.
-  P. S. Blaer and P. K. Allen, “View planning and automated data acquisition for three-dimensional modeling of complex sites,” J. Field Robot., Vol.26, pp. 865-891, 2009.
-  M.-Y. Chan, W.-H. Mak, and H. Qu, “An Efficient Quality-Based Camera Path Planning Method for Volume Exploration,” Proc. of the 4th Int. Symposium on Advances in Visual Computing, Part II, ISVC ’08, pp. 12-21, 2008.
-  S. Slušný, M. Zerola, and R. Neruda, “Real Time Robot Path Planning and Cleaning,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol.62, pp. 442-449, Springer, 2010.
-  G. A. Hollinger, U. Mitra, and G. S. Sukhatme, “Active Classification: Theory and Application to Underwater Inspection,” CoRR, 1106.5829, 2011.
-  H. Choset and P. Pignon, “Coverage Path Planning: The Boustrophedon Decomposition,” Int. Conf. on Field and Service Robotics, 1997.
-  S. Hert, S. Tiwari, and V. Lumelsky, “A Terrain-Covering Algorithm for an AUV,” Autonomous Robots, Vol.3, pp. 91-119, 1996.
-  G. A. Hollinger, B. Englot, F. Hover, U. Mitra, and G. S. Sukhatme, “Uncertainty-Driven View Planning for Underwater Surface Inspection,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, 2012.
-  X. Sun, P. L. Rosin, R. R. Martin, and F. C. Langbein, “Fast and Effective Feature-Preserving Mesh Denoising,” IEEE Trans. Visualization and Computer Graphics, Vol.13, No.5, pp. 925-938, 2007.
-  M. Berg, M. Kreveld, M. Overmars et al., “Computational Geometry Algorithms and Applications,” Kindaikagakusha, 2000.
-  M. Garland and P. S. Heckbert, “Surface Simplification Using Quadric Error Metrics,” Computer Graphics (Proc. SIGGRAPH 97), ACM, pp. 209-216, 1997.
-  B. Korte and J. Vygen, “Combinatirial Optimization Theory and Algorithms,” Springer Japan, 2009.
-  T. Maki, T.Matsuda, A. Kume et al., “Development of the AUV Tri-TON for Imaging Rough Seafloor,” The 23rd Ocean Engineering Symposium, August 2-3, 2012.
-  B. Griod, G. Greiner, and H. Niemann, “Principles of 3D Image Analysis and Synthesis,” Springer US, 2000.
-  Y. Shiga, “Worldwide distribution of submarine hydrothermal deposits and their classification,” Resource geology, Vol.46, No.3, pp. 167-186, 1996.
-  K. Iizasa, “Formation of the Sunrise deposit,Myojin knoll Izu-Ogasa arc, Pacific,” JAMSTEC J. of Deep Sea Research Part II: Geology, Geochemistry, Geophysics and Dive Survey, 2000.
-  T. Maki, A. Kume, and T. Ura, “Volumetric mapping of tubeworm colonies in Kagoshima Bay through autonomous robotic surveys,” Deep Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers, Vol.58, Issue 7, 2011.
-  T. Nakatani, S. Li, T. Ura et al., “3D visual modeling of hydrothermal chimneys using a rotary laser scanning system,” Underwater Technology, 2011.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.