3-D Biped Walking Using Double Support Phase and Swing Leg Retraction Based on the Assumption of Point-Contact
Tadayoshi Aoyama*, Kosuke Sekiyama**, Zhiguo Lu**,
Yasuhisa Hasegawa***, and Toshio Fukuda**
*Department of System Cybernetics, Hiroshima University, 4-1 Kagamiyama 1-chome, Higashi-Hiroshima 739-8527, Japan
**Department of Micro-Nano Systems Engineering, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8603, Japan
***Department Intelligent Interaction Technologies, University of Tsukuba, 1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba 305-8573, Japan
This paper describes 3-D biped walking control based on the assumption of point-contact. We previously realized 3-D biped walking on unknown terrain using the Passive Dynamic Autonomous Control (PDAC) approach, which is based on the assumption of pointcontact of a robot foot and virtual holonomic constraint as to robot joints. However, the stable range of walking is narrow and the robustness of walking is not enough for practical use. In order to increase the robustness of walking, we propose swing leg retraction and double support phase in this paper. Swing leg retraction facilitates the stabilization ability of PDACbased walking; also, by use of the double support phase, robot dynamics converges to stable orbit even if disturbance happens at foot-contact. Finally, the proposed biped walking algorithm is verified by numerical simulation and experiments.
-  K. Hirai, M. Hirose, Y. Haikawa, and T. Takenaka, “The Development of Honda Humanoid Robot,” In Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1321-1326, 1998.
-  K. Kaneko, F. Kanehiro, M. Morisawa, K. Miura, S. Nakaoka, and S. Kajita, “Cybernetic Human HRP-4C,” In Proc. of the IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Humanoid Robots, pp. 7-14, 2009.
-  H. Kondo, Y. Ogura, K. Shimomura, S. Momoki, T. Okubo, H.-O. Lim, and A. Takanishi, “Kinodynamic Planning for Humanoid Robots Walking on Uneven Terrain,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.20, No.5, pp. 739-749, 2008.
-  Y. Kuroki, T. Ishida, J. Yamaguchi, M. Fujita, and T. T. Doi, “A Small Biped Entertainment Robot,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.14, No.1, pp. 6-12, 2002.
-  M. Vukobratovic and B. Borovac, “ZERO-MOMENT POINT – THIRTY FIVE YEARS OF ITS LIFE,” Int. J. of Humanoid Robotics, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 157-173, 2004.
-  K. Harada, M. Morisawa, S. Nakaoka, K. Kaneko, and S. Kajita, “Kinodynamic Planning for Humanoid Robots Walking on Uneven Terrain,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.21, No.3, pp. 311-316, 2009.
-  S. Kajita, M. Morisawa, K. Miura, S. Nakaoka, K. Harada, K. Kaneko, F. Kanehiro, and K. Yokoi, “Biped Walking Stabilization Based on Linear Inverted Pendulum Tracking,” In Proc. of the IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 4489-4496, 2010.
-  K. Nishiwaki and S. Kagami, “Strategies for Adjusting the ZMP Reference Trajectory for Maintaining Balance in Humanoid Walking,” In Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 4230-4236, 2010.
-  S. Collins, A. Ruina, R. Tedrake, and M. Wisse, “Efficient Bipedal Robots Based on Passive-Dynamic Walkers,” Science, Vol.307, pp. 1082-1085, 2005.
-  K. Ono, T. Furuichi, and R. Takahashi, “Self-Excited Walking of a Biped Mechanism With Feet,” The Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.23, No.1, pp. 55-68, 2004.
-  C. Chevallereau, “Time-Scaling Control for an Underactuated Biped Robot,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.19, No.2, pp. 362-368, 2003.
-  J. W. Grizzle, G. Abba, and F. Plestan, “Asymptotically Stable Walking for Biped Robots: Analysis via Systems with Impulse Effects,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, Vol.46, No.1, pp. 51-64, 2001.
-  E. R. Westervelt, G. Buche, and J. Grizzle, “Experimental Validation of a Framework for the Design of Controllers that Induce Stable Walking in Planar Bipeds,” The Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.23, No.6, pp. 559-582, 2004.
-  E. R.Westervelt, J.W. Grizzle, and D. E. Koditschek, “Hybrid Zero Dynamics of Planar Biped Walkers,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, Vol.48, No.1, pp. 42-56, 2003.
-  C. Chevallereau, J. W. Grizzle, and C.-L. Shih, “Asymptotically Stable Walking of a Five-Link Underactuated 3-D Bipedal Robot,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.25, No.1, pp. 37-50, 2009.
-  M. Doi, Y. Hasegawa, and T. Fukuda, “Control of Smooth Biped Walking by Means of Heel-Off Motion,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.19, No.3, pp. 353-360, 2007.
-  G. Song and M. Zefran, “Underactuated Dynamic Three-Dimensional Bipedal Walking,” In Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 854-859, 2006.
-  T. Fukuda, M. Doi, Y. Hasegawa, and H. Kajima, “Fast Motions in Biomechanics And Robotics: Optimization And Feedback Control,” chapter Multi-Locomotion Control of Biped Locomotion and Brachiation Robot, pp. 121-145, Springer-Verlag, 2006.
-  T. Aoyama, Y. Hasegawa, K. Sekiyama, and T. Fukuda, “Stabilizing and Direction Control of Efficient 3-D Biped Walking Based on PDAC,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.14, No.6, pp. 712-718, 2009.
-  T. Aoyama, K. Sekiyama, Y. Hasegawa, and T. Fukuda, “PDACbased 3-D Biped Walking Adapted to Rough Terrain Environment,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.24, No.1, pp. 37-46, 2012.
-  T. Fukuda, T. Aoyama, Y. Hasegawa, and K. Sekiyama, “Artificial Life Models in Hardware,” chapter Multilocomotion Robot: Novel Concept, Mechanism, and Control of Bio-inspired Robot, pp. 65-86, Springer-Verlag, 2009.
-  R. Smith, “Open Dynamics Engine (ODE),” 2011.
-  K. Hashimoto, Y. Sugahara, H.-O. Lim, and A. Takanishi, “Biped Landing Pattern Modification Method and Walking Experiments in Outdoor Environment,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.20, No.5, pp. 775-784, 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.