Study on the sEMG Driven Upper Limb Exoskeleton Rehabilitation Device in Bilateral Rehabilitation
Muye Pang*, Shuxiang Guo**, ***, and Zhibin Song**
*Graduated School of Engineering, Kagawa University, 2217-20 Hayashi-cho, Takamatsu 761-0396, Japan
**Department of Intelligent Mechanical Systems Engineering, Kagawa University, 2217-20 Hayashi-cho, Takamatsu 761-0396, Japan
***College of Automation, Harbin Engineering University, 145 Nantong Street, Harbin, Heilongjiang, China
-  C. Butefisch, H. Hummelsheim, P. Denzler, and K. H. Mauritz, “Repetitive training of isolated movements improves the outcome of motor rehabilitation of the centrally paretic hand,” J. Neurologic. Sci., Vol.130, pp. 59-68, 1995.
-  E. Taub, N. E. Miller, and T. A. Novack, “Technique to improve chronic motor deficit after stroke,” Arch. Phys. Med. Rehab., Vol.74, pp. 347-354, 1993.
-  Q. Pan, S. Guo, and T. Okada, “A Novel Hybrid Wireless Microrobot,” Int. J. of Mechatronics and Automation, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 60-69, 2011.
-  S. M. M. Rahman, R. Ikeura, S. Hayakawa, and H. Sawai, “Design guidelines for power assist robots for lifting heavy objects considering weight perception, grasp differences and worst-cases,” Int. J. of Mechatronics and Automation, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 46-59, 2011.
-  Z. Song, S. Guo, and Y. Fu, “Development of an upper extremity motor function rehabilitation system and an assessment system,” Int. J. of Mechatronics and Automation, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 19-28, 2011.
-  T. Doi, R. Hodoshima, Y. Fukuda, S. Hirose, T. Okamoto, and J. Mori, “Development of Quadruped Walking Robot TITAN XI for Steep Slopes – Slope Map Generation and Map Information Application,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.18, No.3, pp. 318-324, 2006.
-  M. Nakashima, T. Tsubaki, and K. Ono, “Three-Dimensional Movement in Water of the Dolphin Robot – Control Between Two Positions by Roll and Pitch Combination,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.18, No.3, pp. 347-355, 2006.
-  T. Mori and K. Tsujioka, “Human-Like Daily Action Recognition Model,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.17, No.6, pp. 672-680, 2005.
-  Y. Nakamura, T. Mori, Y. Tokita, T. Shibata, and S. Ishii, “Off-Policy Natural Policy Gradient Method for a Biped Walking Using a CPG Controller,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.17, No.6, pp. 636-644, 2005.
-  P. S. Lum, C. G. Burgar, P. C. Shor, M. Majmundar, and M. V. der Loos, “Robot-Assisted Movement Training Compared With Conventional Therapy Techniques for the Rehabilitation of Upper-LimbMotor Function After Stroke,” Arch PhysMed Rehabilitation, Vol.83, pp. 952-959, 2002.
-  R. G. Carson, “Neural pathways mediating bilateral interactions between the upper limbs,” Brain Research Reviews, Vol.49, pp. 641-662, 2005.
-  R. J. Nudo, B. M. Wise, F. SiFuentes, and G. W. Milliken. “Neural substrates for the effects of rehabilitative training on motor recovery after ischemic infarct,” Science, Vol.272, pp. 1792-1794, 1996.
-  M. K. Chan, R. K. Tong, and K. Y. Chung, “Bilateral upper limb training with functional electric stimulation in patients with chronic stroke,” Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair, Vol.23, pp. 357-365, 2009.
-  P. K. Jamwal, S. Xie, and C. Aw. Kean, “Kinematic design optimization of parallel ankle rehabilitation robot using modified genetic algorithm,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol.57, Issue 10, pp. 1018-1027, 2009.
-  R. Ambar, M. S. Ahmad, and M. M. Abdul Jamil, “Design and Development of a Multi-sensor Monitoring Device for Arm Rehabilitation,” Int. J. of Integrated Engineering, Vol.3, No.2, pp. 55-62, 2011.
-  E. E. Cavallaro, J. Rosen, J. C. Perry, and S. Burns, “Real-TimeMyoprocessors for a Neural Controlled Powered Exoskeleton Arm,” IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Engineering, Vol.53, No.11, pp. 2387-2396, 2006.
-  D. Gagnon, N.Arjmand, A. Plamondon, A. Shirazi-Adl, and C. Lariviere, “An improved multi-joint EMG-assisted optimization approach to estimate joint and muscle forces in a musculoskeletal model of the lumbar spine,” J. of Biomechanics, Vol.44, Issue 8, pp. 1521-1529, 2011.
-  M. H. Sherif. “For Movement Pattern Recognition in Upper Limb Prostheses,” Ph.D. thesis, University of California at Los Angeles, 1980.
-  L. Lucas, M. DiCicco, and Y. Matsuoka, “An EMG-Controlled Hand Exoskeleton for Natural Pinching,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.5, pp. 482-488, 2004.
-  C. J. De Luca, “The Use of Surface Electromyography in Biomechanics,” J. of Applied Biomechanics, Vol.13, pp. 1-38, 1997.
-  D. Stashuk, “EMG signal decomposition: how can it be accomplished and used,” J. of Electromyography and Kinesiology, Vol.11, Issue 3, pp. 151-173.
-  Y. Amirat, K. Djouani, M. Kirad, and N. Saadia, “Neural Adaptive Approach-Application to Robot Force Control in an Unknown Environment,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.18, No.5, pp. 529-538, 2006.
-  M. B. I. Reaz, M. S. Hussain, and F. Mohd-Yasin, “Techniques of EMG signal analysis: detection, processing, classification and applications,” Biomedical and Life Sciences, Vol.8, pp. 11-35, 2006.
-  B. Daachi, A. Benallegue, T. Madani, and M. E. Daachi, “Neural Networks for Redundant Robot Manipulators Control with Obstacles Avoidance,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.1, pp. 90-96, 2004.
-  M. Otake and Y. Nakamura, “Spinal Information Processing and its Application to Motor Learning Support,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.17, No.6, pp. 617-627, 2005.
-  Z. Song and S. Guo, “Implementation of Self-rehabilitation for Upper Limb based on a Haptic Device and an Exoskeleton Device,” Proc. of the 2011 IEEE Int. Conf. on Mechatronics and Automation, pp. 1911-1916, 2011.
-  Z. Song and S. Guo, “Development of a Master-slave System for Upper Limb Rehabilitation,” The 5th Int. Conf. on Advanced Mechatronics, pp. 768-773, 2010.
-  M. F. Moller, “A scaled conjugate gradient algorithm for fast supervised learning,” Neural Networks, Vol.6, Issue 4, pp. 525-533, 1990.
-  A. Phinyomark, C. Limsakul, and P. Phukpattaranont, “A Novel Feature Extraction for Robust EMG Pattern Recognition,” J. of Computing, Vol.1, Issue 1, pp. 71-80, 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.