On-Demand and Size-Controlled Production of Droplets by Magnetically Driven Microtool
Lin Feng*, Tomohiro Kawahara*, Yoko Yamanishi*,
Masaya Hagiwara*, Kazuhiro Kosuge**,
and Fumihito Arai*
*Dept of Micro-Nano Systems Engineering, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8603, Japan
**Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aza-aoba, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
-  C. Charcosset, I. Limayem, and H. Fessi, “The membrane emulsification process – a review,” J. of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, Vol.79, pp. 209-218, 2004.
-  A. V. Korobko, W. Jesse, and J. R. C. Van der Maarel, “Encapsulation of DNA by Cationic Diblock Copolymer Vesicles,” Vol.21, pp. 34-42, 2005.
-  S. M. Moghimi, A. C. Hunter, and J. C. Murray, “Nanomedicine: current status and future prospects,” The FASEB Journal, Vol.19, pp. 311-330, 2005.
-  T. Kojima, Y. Takei, M. Ohtsuka, Y. Kawarasaki, T. Yamane, and H. Nakano, “PCR amplification from single DNA molecules on magnetic beads in emulsion: application for high-throughput screening of transcription factor targets,” Nucleic Acids Research, Vol.33, Vol.17, e150, 2005.
-  C-W. Lai, Y-H. Lin, and G-B. Lee, “A microfluidic chip for formation and collection of emulsion droplets utilizing active pneumatic micro-choppers and micro-switches,” Biomedical Microdevices, Vol.10, pp. 749-756, 2008.
-  R. Heusch and B. A. G. Leverkusen, “Ullmann’s Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry,” 2000.
-  B. Zheng, J. D. Tice, and R. F. Ismagilov, “Formation of arrayed droplets by soft lithography and two-phase fluid flow, and application in protein crystallization,” Adv. Mater., Vol.16, No.15, pp. 1365-1368, 2004.
-  G. Yi, T. Thorsen, V. N. Manoharan, M. Hwang, S. Jeon, D. J. Pine, S. R. Quake, and S. Yang, “Generation of uniform colloidal assemblies in soft microfluidic devices,” Adv. Mater., Vol.15, No.15, pp. 1300-1304, 2003.
-  G. Yi, S. Jeon, T. Thorsen, V. N. Manoharan, S. R. Quake, D. J. Pine, and S. Yang, “Generation of uniform photonic balls by template-assisted colloidal crystallization,” Synth. Met. 139, pp. 803-806, 2003.
-  D. Dendukuri, K. Tsoi, T. A. Hatton, and P. S. Doyle, “Controlled synthesis of nonspherical microparticles using microfluidics,” Langmuir, Vol.21, pp. 2113-2116, 2005.
-  T. Nisisako, T. Torii, and T. Higuchi, “Novel microreactors for functional polymer beads,” Chem. Eng. J., Vol.101, pp. 23-29, 2004.
-  J. Lee and C. Kim, “Surface-tension-driven microactuation based on continuous electrowetting,” J. Microelectromech. Syst., Vol.9, No.2, pp. 171-180, 2000.
-  S.-K. Chae, C.-H. Lee, S. H. Lee, T.-.S Kim, and J. Y. Kang, “Oil droplet generation in PDMS microchannel using an amphiphilic continuous phase,” Lab Chip, Vol.9, pp. 1957-1961, 2009.
-  C.-H. Lee, S.-K. Hsiung, and G.-B. Lee, “An Active Flow Focusing Microfluidic Chip Utilizing Controllable Moving Walls for the Formation of Microdroplets in Liquid,” Proc. of the 2nd IEEE Int. Conf. on Nano/Micro Engineering and Molecular systems, Bangkok, Thailand, pp. 167-171, 2007.
-  T. Schneider, D. R. Burnham, J. VanOrden, and D. T. Chiu, “Systematic investigation of droplet generation at T-junctions,” T. Schneider, D. R. Burnham, J. VanOrden and D. T. Chiu (Eds.), Lab Chip, Vol.11, pp. 2055-2059, 2011.
-  S. Y. Park, T. H Wu, Y Chen, M. A. Teitell and P. Y Chiou, “Highspeed droplet generation on demand driven by pulse laser-induced cavitation”, Lab Chip, Vol.11, p. 1010-1012, 2011.
-  M. Hagiwara, T. Kawahara, Y. Yamanishi, and F. Arai, “Driving Method of Microtool by Horizontally-arranged Permanent Magnets for Single CellManipulation,” Applied Physics Letters, Vol.97, 013701, pp. 013701-1-013701-3, 2010.
-  Y. Yamanishi, S. Sakuma, K. Onda, and F. Arai, “Powerful Actuation of Magnetized Microtools by Focused Magnetic Field for Particle Sorting in a Chip,” Biomed Microdevices, Vol.12, pp. 745-752, 2010.
-  D. R. Link, S. L. Anna, D. A. Weitz, and H. A. Stone, “Geometrically Meditated Breakup of Drops in Microfluidic Devices,” Physical Review Letter, Vol.92, No.054503, 2004.
-  J. Z. Chen, A. A. Darhuber, S. M. Troian, and S. Wagner, “Capacitive sensing of droplets for microfluidic devices based on thermocapillary actuation,” Lab on a Chip. Jun; Vol.6, No.6, pp. 744-751, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.