Development of a Wire Harness Assembly Motion Planner for Redundant Multiple Manipulators
Kyongmo Koo, Xin Jiang, Atsushi Konno,
and Masaru Uchiyama
Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aoba-yama, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
This article discusses a motion planner for manipulating deformable linear objects with multiple manipulators. When multiple manipulators grip a rigid body, hand positions and postures of those manipulators are dependent variables of the positions and postures of the gripped rigid body. On the other hand, when multiple manipulators grip a deformable linear object, constraint conditions are eased compared to those for a rigid body. However, there is another problem: the need for consideration of deformation of a deformable linear object by the motion plan of a robot. In this research, in order to grip and operate such deformable linear objects with multiple manipulators, we developed a sampling-based robot motion planner. By combining basic motions generated by the developed robot motion planner, we will show that a complicated task, such as the assembly of a deformable linear object with the multiple manipulators, is possible. Using the example of a wire harness assembly work on an automobile production line, we perform motion planning using the developed motion planner, and we verify its effectiveness through simulations.
and Masaru Uchiyama, “Development of a Wire Harness Assembly Motion Planner for Redundant Multiple Manipulators,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.23, No.6, pp. 907-918, 2011.
-  X. Jiang, K. Koo, K. Kikuchi, A. Konno, and M. Uchiyama, “Robotized Assembly of a Wire Harness in a Car Production Line,” Int. J. of Advanced Robotics, Vol.25, pp. 473-489, 2011.
-  H.Wakamatsu, S. Hirai, and K. Iwata, “Modeling of Linear ObjectsConsidering Bend, Twist, and Extensional Deformations,” in Proc.IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.1, pp. 318-323,1995.
-  M. Moll and L. E. Kavraki, “Path Planning for Deformable Linear Objects,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.22, No.4, pp. 625-636,2006.
-  T. Matsuno, T. Fukuda, and F. Arai, “Flexible Rope Manipulation by Dual Manipulator System Using Vision Sensor,” in Proc. IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. Adv. Intell. Mechatron., pp. 677-682, 2001.
-  Y. Yamakawa, A. Namiki, and M. Ishikawa, “Motion Planning for Dynamic Knotting of a Flexible Rope with a High-speed RobotArm,” in IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intell. Robots and Systems, pp. 49-54, 2010.
-  M. Saha and P. Isto, “Manipulation Planning for Deformable Linear Objects,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.23, No.6, pp. 1141-1150, 2007.
-  J. J. Kuffner and S.M. LaValle, “RRT-Connect: An efficient approach to single query path planning,” in Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 995-1001, 2000.
-  F. Wang, E. Burdet, V. Ronald, and H. Bleuler, “Knot-tying with visual and force feedback for VR laparoscopic training,” in Proc. 27th IEEE EMBS Annu. Int. Conf., Vol.25, pp. 5778-5781, 2005.
-  K. Koo, X. Jiang, A. Konno, and M. Uchiyama, “End Effector Constrained Path Planning for 7DOF Manipulator,” in IEEE/SICE Int. Symp. on System Integration, pp. 293-298, 2010.
-  M. Shimizu, H. Kakuya, W. Yoon, K. Kitagaki, and K. Kosuge, “Analytical Inverse Kinematic Computation for 7-DOF Redundant Manipulators with Joint Limits and its Application to Redundancy Resolution,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.24, No.5, pp. 1131-1142, 2008.
-  T. Simeon, J. P. Laumond, J. Cortes, and A. Sahbani, “Manipulation Planning with Probabilistic Roadmaps,” Int. J. of RoboticsResearch, Vol.23, No.7-8, pp. 729-746, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.