Use of Cranes in Education and International Collaborations
William Singhose*1, Joshua Vaughan*1, Kelvin Chen Chih Peng*1,
Brice Pridgen*1, Urs Glauser*2, Juan de Juanes Márquez*3,
and Seong-Wook Hong*4
*1The George W.Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia 30332-0405, USA
*2Mechanical Engineering Department, Zurich University of Applied Sciences, 8401 Winterthur, Switzerland
*3Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Industriales, C. Jose Gutierrez Abascal, 2, Madrid 28006, Spain
*4School of Mechanical Engineering, Kumoh National Institute of Technology, 1 Yangho-dong, Gumi, Gyeongbuk 730-701, Korea
This paper describes the use of cranes in system dynamics and control courses and international collaboration. Four different cranes designed and built for educational purposes are presented, and the curriculum developed to use the cranes is summarized. The cranes can be operated remotely from anywhere in the world via the Internet. This feature facilitates both educational activities and research collaboration. Example use of cranes in international collaboration and undergraduate research are described. The paper concludes with a discussion of key challenges and a program assessment.
Brice Pridgen, Urs Glauser, Juan de Juanes Márquez, and
and Seong-Wook Hong, “Use of Cranes in Education and International Collaborations,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.23, No.5, pp. 881-892, 2011.
-  K. L. Sorensen, P. W. Cross, W. E. Singhose, and S. Prakash, “Vibration Analysis and Mitigation of Dead-Zone on Systems Using Two-Impulse Zero-Vibration Input Shaping,” ASME J. of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics, Vol.6, No.1, p. 011011, 2011.
-  R. Manning, J. Clement, D. Kim, and W. Singhose, “Dynamics and control of bridge cranes transporting distributed-mass payloads,” ASME J. of Dynamic Systems,Measurement, and Control, Vol.132, No.1, p. 014505, 2010.
-  W. Singhose, D. Kim, and M. Kenison, “Input shaping control of double-pendulum bridge crane oscillations,” J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol.130, No.3, pp. 1-7, May 2008.
-  J. Yoon, W. Singhose, J. Vaughan, G. Ramirez, M. Kim, and S. Tawde, “Dynamics and Control of Crane Payloads that Bounce and Pitch During Hoisting,” In ASME Int. Design Engineering Technical Conf., San Diego, CA, 2009.
-  N. C. Singer and W. P. Seering, “Preshaping Command Inputs to Reduce System Vibration,” J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol.112, pp. 76-82, March 1990.
-  W. Singhose, “Command shaping for flexible systems: A review of the first 50 years,” Int. J. of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, Vol.10, No.4, pp. 153-168, 10, 2009.
-  O. J. M. Smith, “Feedback Control Systems,” McGraw-Hill Book Co., Inc., New York, 1958.
-  A. Khalid, J. Huey, W. Singhose, J. Lawrence, and D. Frakes, “Human operator performance testing using an input-shaped bridge crane,” J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, Vol.128, No.4, pp. 835-841, 2006.
-  D. Kim and W. Singhose, “Performance studies of human operators driving double-pendulum bridge cranes,” Control Engineering Practice, Vol.18, No.6, pp. 567-576, 2010.
-  Z. Masoud and M. Daqaq, “A graphical approach to input-shaping control design for container cranes with hoist,” IEEE Trans. Control Syst. Technol, Vol.14, No.6, pp. 1070-1077, November 2006.
-  G. G. Parker, K. Groom, J. Hurtado, R. D. Robinett, and F. Leban, “Command shaping boom crane control system with nonlinear inputs,” In Proc. of IEEE Conf. on Control Applications, Vol.2, pp. 1774-1778, Kohala Coast, HI, USA, 1999.
-  N. Singer, W. Singhose, and E. Kriikku, “An Input Shaping Controller Enabling Cranes to Move Without Sway,” In ANS 7th Topical Meeting on Robotics and Remote Systems, Vol.1, pp. 225-231, Augusta, GA, 1997.
-  K. Sorensen, W. Singhose, and S. Dickerson, “A Controller Enabling Precise Positioning and Sway Reduction in Bridge and Gantry Cranes,” Control Engineering Practice, Vol.15, No.7, pp. 825-837, July 2007.
-  G. P. Starr, “Swing-Free Transport of Suspended Objects With a Path-Controlled Robot Manipulator,” J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, Vol.107, pp. 97-100, 1985.
-  B. J. S. Barron, D. L. Schwartz, N. J. Vye, A. Moore, A. Petrosino, L. Zech, J. D. Bransford, and The Cognition and Technology Group at Vanderbilt, “Doing with Understanding: Lessons From Research on Problem- and Project-Based Learning,” The J. of the Learning Sciences, Vol.7, No.3&4, pp. 271-311, 1998.
-  P. C. Blumenfeld, E. Soloway, R. W. Marx, J. S. Krajcik, M. Guzdial, and A. Palincsar, “Motivating Project-Based Learning: Sustaining the Doing, Supporting the Learning,” Educational Psychologist, Vol.26, No.3, pp. 369-398, 1991.
-  E. Kolberg, Y. Reich, and I. Levin, “Project-based high school mechatronics course,” Int. J. of Engineering Education, Vol.19, No.4, pp. 557-562, 2003.
-  M. D. Merrill, “A Task-Centered Instructional Strategy,” J. of Research on Technology in Education, Vol.40, No.1, pp. 33-50, 2007.
-  C. E. Hmelo-Silver, R. G. Duncan, and C. A. Chinn, “Scaffolding and Achievement in Problem-Based and Inquiry Learning: Scaffolding and Achievement in Problem-Based and Inquiry Learning: A Response to Kirschner, Sweller, and Clark (2006),” Educational Psychologist, Vol.42, No.2, pp. 99-107, 2007.
-  M. R. Lepper, “Motivational Considerations in the Study of Instruction,” Cognition and Instruction, Vol.5, No.4, pp. 289-309, 1988.
-  S. B. Nolen, “Reasons for Studying: Motivational Orientations and Study Strategies,” Cognition and Instruction, Vol.5, No.4, pp. 269-287, 1988.
-  K. Sorensen, H. Fisch, S. Dickerson, W. Singhose, and U. Glauser, “A Multi-Operational-Mode Anti-Sway and Positioning Control for an Industrial Bridge Crane,” In IFAC World Congress, pp. 881-888, Seoul, Korea, July 6–11 2008.
-  J. Lawrence and W. Singhose, “Design of a Minicrane for Education and Research,” In 6th Int. Conf. on Research and Education in Mechatronics, Annecy, France, 2005.
-  J. Lawrence, W. Singhose, R. Weiss, A. Erb, and U. Glauser, “An Internet-Driven Tower Crane for Dynamics and Controls Education,” In IFAC Symp. on Advances in Control Education, Madrid, Spain, 2006.
-  E. Maleki, W. Singhose, and J. Vaughan, “Initial Experiments with a Small-Scale Mobile Boom Crane,” In IASTED Int. Conf. on Robotics and Applications, Cambridge, MA, 2009.
-  K. Sorensen, P. W. Cross, W. Singhose, and S. Prakash, “Analysis and Mitigation of Dead-Zone Effects on Systems Using Two-Impulse ZV Input Shaping,” In ASME Int. Design Engineering Technical Conf., Las Vegas, NV, 2007.
-  I. D. Landau, “Evolution of adaptive control,” J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, Vol.115, No.2B, pp. 381-391, 1993.
-  M. Tomizuka, “Zero Phase Error Tracking Algorithm for Digital Control,” J. of Dynamic Systems,Measurement and Control, Transactions ASME, Vol.190, No.1, pp. 65-68, 1987.
-  J. Vaughan, D. Kim, and W. Singhose, “Control of Tower Cranes With Double-Pendulum Payload Dynamics,” Control Systems Technology, IEEE Transactions on, Vol.18, No.6, pp. 1345-1358, 2010.
-  D. F. Blackburn, W. Singhose, J. P. Kitchen, V. P. Petrangenaru, J. Lawrence, T. Kamoi, and A. Taura, “Advanced Input Shaping Algorithm for Nonlinear Tower Crane Dynamics,” In Int. Conf. on Motion and Vibration Control, Daejeon, Korea, 2006.
-  T. Bradley, T. Hall, Q. Xie, W. Singhose, and J. Lawrence, “Input Shaping for Nonlinear Drive Systems,” In ASME Int. Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Chicago, IL, 2006.
-  A. R. Enes, T. Y. Hsu, and A. A. Sodemann, “New Command Shaping Methods for Reduced Vibration of a Suspended Payload with Constrained Trolley Motion,” In ASME Int. Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Seattle, WA, 2007.
-  J. Huey, J. Fortier, S. Wolff, W. Singhose, H. B. Haraldsson, S. K. Sasaki, and E. Watari, “Remote Manipulation of Cranes via the Internet,” In Proc. of Int. Conf. onMotion and Vibration Control, Daejeon, Korea, 2006.
-  E. Maleki, S. Srinivasan, and W. Singhose, “Positioning and Control of Boom Crane Luffing with Double-Pendulum Payloads,” In IEEE Conf. on Control Applications, Yokohama, Japan, 2010.
-  J. Pasternack, D. Thayer, R. Bansal, E. Maleki, G. Tao, K. Kim, and W. Singhose, “Experimental Analysis forWind Induced Disturbance Rejection on Bridge Crane Structures,” In ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conf., Arlington, VA, 2011.
-  B. Post, A. Mariuzza, W. Book, and W. Singhose, “Flatness-Based Control of Flexible Motion Systems,” In ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conf., Arlington, VA, 2011.
-  D. Blackburn, W. Singhose, J. Kitchen, V. Patrangenaru, J. Lawrence, T. Kamoi, and A. Taura, “Command shaping for nonlinear crane dynamics,” J. of Vibration and Control, Vol.16, No.4, pp. 1-25, 2010.
-  D. Blackburn, J. Lawrence, J. Danielson, W. Singhose, T. Kamoi, and A. Taura, “Radial-motion assisted command shapers for nonlinear tower crane rotational slewing,” Control Engineering Practice, Vol.18, No.5, pp. 523-531, 2010.
-  J. Danielson, J. Vaughan, W. Singhose, L. Wilder, and U. Glauser, “Design of aMobile Boom Crane for Research and Educational Applications,” In The 9th Int. Conf. on Motion and Vibration Control, Munich, Germany, September 15-18, 2008.
-  U. Glauser, L. Wilder, R. Weiss, J. Vaughan, and W. Singhose, “Conducting Int. Research Projects Using Undergraduate Thesis Projects,” In Int. Symposium on Flexible Automation, June 23–26, 2008.
-  J. Suter, D. Kim, W. Singhose, K. Sorensen, and U. Glauser, “Evaluation and Integration of aWireless Touchscreen Into a Bridge Crane Control System,” In IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, Zürich, Switzerland, 2007.
-  J. Vaughan, A. Smith, S. J. Kang, and W. Singhose, “Predictive Graphical User Interface Elements to Improve Crane Operator Performance,” Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Part A: Systems and Humans, IEEE Transactions on, pp. 1-8, October 2010.
-  O. Smith, “Feedback Control Systems,” McGraw-Hill Book Co., Inc., New York, 1958.
-  W. Singhose, W. Seering, and N. Singer, “Input Shaping for Vibration Reduction with Specified Insensitivity to Modeling Errors,” In Japan-USA Sym. on Flexible Automation, Vol.1, pp. 307-313, Boston, MA, 1996.
-  D. Kim and W. Singhose, “Human Operator Learning On Double-Pendulum Bridge Cranes,” In ASME Int. Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Seattle, WA, 2007.
-  J. Vaughan, A. Yano, andW. Singhose, “Comparison of robust input shapers,” J. of Sound and Vibration, Vol.315, No.4-5, pp. 797-815, 2008.
-  J. Vaughan, A. Yano, and W. Singhose, “Robust Negative Input Shapers for Vibration Suppression,” J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol.131, No.3, p. 031014, 2009.
-  W. Singhose, W. Seering, and N. Singer, “Residual Vibration Reduction Using Vector Diagrams to Generate Shaped Inputs,” ASME J. of Mechanical Design, 116, pp. 654-659, June 1994.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.