Hands-on Robotics Instruction Program for Beginners
Kengo Toda, Yu Okumura, Ken Tomiyama, and Takayuki Furuta
Chiba Institute of Technology, 2-17-1 Tsudanuma, Narashino, Chiba 275-0016, Japan
A robotics instruction program is implemented for beginners to understand outlines of robotics. The aim of this program is to give students an outline of “what a robot is” together with its relations with various areas concerned and facilitate each student to produce their own robots and learn its process. This paper introduces lecture contents of “Robot Hands-On Exercise” conducted on freshmen of the Department of Advanced Robotics at Chiba Institute of Technology. This paper also includes visiting lectures with reorganized contents for a crash course provided as a part of Super Science High Schools (SSH) and Science Partnership Project (SPP), which are learning support projects by Japan Science and Technology Agency. We will summarize the findings based on questionnaire survey results and interactions with the students through those lectures.
-  M.Mizukawa, Y. Ando, and C. Kasuga, “Development and Evaluation of the Robotics Educational Material for Engineering Training in the Undergraduate School,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.24, No.1, pp. 10-15, 2006.
-  Y. Shimada, “H8/Tiny microcontroller perfect manual – Completely mastering from basic programming to application technique based on H8/3694F –,” CQ Publishing, 2005.
-  Y. Okumura, K. Toda, K. Tomiyama, and T. Furuta, “Development of Educational Robotics Instruction Kit for Embodying Creativity: “f-palette” Educational Microcomputer Kit with Extension Methods and Full JTAG Function,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.5, 2011.
-  Y. Okumura and T. Furuta, ”Development of Microcomputer Educational Kit with Enhancing Modules and Practical Curriculum for Making Original Robot,” The 28th Annual Conf. of the Robotics Society of Japan, 1L2-1 (CD-ROM), 2010.
-  Y. Okumura and T. Furuta, “Practical Curriculum for Making Original Robot with DSP Piccolo B: Robot Challenge,” DSPS Educator Conf., Education Session I-1, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.