Application of an Intelligent Table-Top Vacuum Robot Cleaner in Mechatronics System Design Education
Cheng S. Chin* and Keng M. Yue**
*School of Marine Science and Technology, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Armstrong Building, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU, United Kingdom
**School of Engineering, Mechatronics Division, Temasek Polytechnic, 21 Tampines Ave 1, Singapore 529757, Singapore
-  S. B. Nokleby, “A Novel Undergraduate Mechatronics Course Featuring Hands-On Project-Based Learning,” 12th IFToMM World Congress, Besancon, June 18-21, pp. 1-6, 2007.
-  G. E. Chamilothoris and M. G. Papoutsidakis, “Shaping the mechatronics courses for the control curriculum,” Proceedings of the 16th IFAC World Congress, Vol.16, pp. 1-6, 2005.
-  B. Akpinar, “Mechatronics Education in Turkey,” Mechatronics Vol.16, pp. 185-192, 2006.
-  H. Yavuz and S. Mistikoglu, “Assessment of Transition from Mechanical Engineering to Mechatronics Engineering in Turkey,” Int. J. of Engineering Education, Vol.25, No.1, pp. 112-121, 2009.
-  M. Grimheden and M. Hanson, “Mechatronics – the Evolution of an Academic Discipline in Engineering Education,” Mechatronics, Vol.15, No.2, pp. 179-192, 2005.
-  T. A. Tutunji, J. Mazin, H. Yehia, and A. R. Saber, “Mechatronics Curriculum Development at Philadelphia University in Jordan,” Mechatronics, Vol.17, pp. 65-71, 2007.
-  S. Sergiu, R. Balan, and V. Maties, “Using PC’s and Micro-Controllers in Mechatronics Education. In International Conference on mechatronics,” Kumamoto, Japan, pp. 1-5, 2007.
-  P. Kopacek, M. Ceccharelli, E. Hajrizi, and L. Stapleton, “Mechatronics Education and International Stability: The Development of University-Level Education Programmes in Advanced Engineering in Kosovo,” Proc. of the IFAC Conf. in Int. Stability and Technology (SWIIS), Pristina, UNMIK, pp. 1-6, 2006.
-  Y. Wang, Y. Yu, C. Xie, H. Wang, and X. Feng, “Mechatronics education at CDHAW of Tongji University: Laboratory guidelines, framework, implementations and improvements,” Mechatronics, 2009.
-  C. L. Cheah and K. Y. Chan, “Mechatronics education in Singapore,” 1st Int. Workshop on Research and Education in Mechatronics, Bochum, Germany, pp. 1-7, 1999.
-  Temasek Polytechnic, Diploma in Mechatronic Engineering Course Document, 2011.
-  D. R. Wood, “Problem-based learning: How to gain the most from PBL,” Hamilton, Ontario, 1994.
-  M. Grimheden and M. Hanson, “How might Education in Mechatronics benefit from Problem Based Learning,” 4th Int.Workshop on Research and Education in Mechatronics 2003, Bochum, Germany, pp. 211-218, 2003.
-  Y. Doppelt, “Implementation and Assessment of Project-Based Learning in a Flexible Environment,” Int. J. of Technology and Design Education, Vol.13, pp. 255-272, 2003.
-  M. Beckerleg and J. Collins, “Producing research from undergraduate projects,” Proc. of the 2007 AAEE Conf., Melbourne, pp. 1-7, 2007.
-  R. Grepl, “Problem Based Learning In Mechatronics,” 3rd Int. Symposium for Engineering Education, University College Cork, Ireland, pp. 1-4, 2010.
-  E. M. Bridges and P. Hallinger, “Problem-based learning in leadership education,” Teaching & learning, Vol.68, pp. 53-60, 2006.
-  R. L. Cluster, B. G. Valesey, and B. N. Burtke, “An Assessment Model for a Design Approach to Technological Problem Solving,” J. of Technology Education, Vol.12, No.2, pp. 5-20, 2001.
-  G. A. M. Tettey, M. B. Dias, and B. Browning, “Robotics education in emerging technology regions,” AAAI Spring Symposium, Robots and Robot Venues: Resources for AI Education, 2007.
-  J. E.Mills and D. F. Treagust, “Engineering Education – Is Problem Based or Project-Based Learning the Answer?,” Australasian J. of Engineering Education, pp. 1-16.
-  J. C. Perrenet, P. A. J. Bouhuijs, and J. G. M. Smits, “The Suitability of Problem-Based Learning for Engineering Education: Theory and Practice,” Teaching Higher Education, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 345-358, 2000.
-  M. Schofield and H. Grunke, “Cleaning robots from concept to product – the users point of view,” In Proc. of the 25th ISIR, Hannover, pp. 233-243, 1994.
-  M. Schofield, “Cleaning robots,” Service Robots Int. Journal, Vol.1, No.3, pp. 11-16, 1995.
-  Microchip, PIC18F2420/2520/4420/4520, Technical Data Sheet, 2007.
-  S. Brown, P. Race, and B. Smith, “500 tips on assessment,” London: Kogan Page, 1996.
-  G. I. Carpenter, “Accuracy, Validity and Reliability in Assessment and in Evaluation of Services for Older People: the Role of the InterRAI MDS Assessment System,” Age and Ageing, Vol.35, pp. 327-329, 2006.
-  S. B. Merriam, “Case Study Research in Education: A Qualitative Approach,” San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers, 1988.
-  S. W. Draper, M. I. Brown, F. P. Henderson, and E. McAteer, “Integrative Evaluation: An Emerging Role for Classroom Studies of CAL,” Computers Education, Vol.26, Nos.1-3, pp. 17-32, 1996.
-  K. E. Sveiby, “The New Organizational Wealth: Managing and Measuring Knowledge-based Assets,” Berret-Koehler, San Francisco, CA., 1997.
-  D. P. Hunt, “The Concept of Knowledge and How to Measure it,” J. of Intellectual Capital, Vol.4, No.1, pp. 100-14, 2003.
-  J. Biggs, D. Kember, and D. Y. Leung, “The Revised Two-Factor Study Process Questionnaire: R-SPQ-2F,” British
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.