Passive Edge Tracing of Deformable Object by Robot
Khairul Salleh Mohamed Sahari*, Hiroaki Seki**,
Yoshitsugu Kamiya**, and Masatoshi Hikizu**
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Jalan Ikram-Uniten, 43000 Kajang, Selangor, Malaysia
**School of Mechanical Engineering, Kanazawa University, Kakuma-machi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa 920-1192, Japan
Usage of active tracing method to find a second corner has been proven to be efficient in finding a second corner next to the first found corner. Passive tracing is a method where the tracing gripper is static while another gripper holding the first corner maneuvers according to the feedback from sensors inside the static gripper so that it pulls the clothes appropriately for the static gripper, with adequate force control, to trace the edge of the clothes. Vision sensor is used from time to time to check whether the static gripper has reached the second corner or not.
Yoshitsugu Kamiya, and Masatoshi Hikizu, “Passive Edge Tracing of Deformable Object by Robot,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.23, No.3, pp. 458-461, 2011.
-  M. Nakazawa, “Handling of Flexible Object,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.10, No.3, pp. 167-169, 1998.
-  F. Osawa, H. Seki, and Y. Kamiya, “Clothes folding task by tool-using robot,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.18, No.5, pp. 618-625, 2006.
-  K. Hamajima and M. Kakikura, “Planning Strategy for Task Untangling Laundry – Isolating Clothes from a Washed Mass –,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.10, No.3, pp. 244-251, 1998.
-  M. Kaneko and M. Kakikura, “Study on Handling Clothes (Task Planning of Deformation for Unfolding Laundry),” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.15, No.4, pp. 406-415, 2003.
-  K. Salleh, H. Seki, Y. Kamiya, and M. Hikizu, “Tracing Manipulation in Clothes Spreading by Robot Arms,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.18, No.5, pp. 564-571, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.