Hovering Control of Outdoor Blimp Robots Based on Path Following
Hitomu Saiki*, Takanori Fukao*, Takateru Urakubo**,
and Takashi Kohno***
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kobe University, 1-1 Rokkodai-cho, Nada-ku, Kobe, Hyogo 657-8501, Japan
**Department of System Science, Kobe University, Japan
***Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, Japan
After large-scale disasters, a surveillance system is required to gather information about the stricken area safely and quickly. An autonomous blimp is the best option for this purpose. This paper proposes a control design method for automatic hovering of outdoor blimp robots under strong winds by a path-following approach. The method consists of inverse optimal path-following control in the horizontal plane and Proportional-Integral-Derivative (PID) control for altitude and pitching motion of the blimp in the longitudinal plane. Some simulations and experiments for a 12m class outdoor blimp are performed to confirm the usefulness of the proposed method.
and Takashi Kohno, “Hovering Control of Outdoor Blimp Robots Based on Path Following,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.23, No.2, pp. 207-214, 2011.
-  Working papers of special project to decrease wide-scale disaster, 2006. (in Japanese)
-  G. A. Khoury and J. D. Gillet, “Airship Technology,” Cambridge University Press, 1999.
-  J. R. Azinheira, E. de Paiva, J. Ramos, S. S. Bueno, M. Bergerrnan, and S. B. V. Gomez, “Extended DynamicModel for Aurora Robotic Airship,” 14th AIAA Lighter-Than-Air Conf. and Exhibition, 2001.
-  P. Kungi, M. Schlenker, and B. Krplin, “Research and testing activities with the solar-powered airship LOTTE within the scope of the airship research group at the University of Stuttgart,” AIAA 14th Lighter Than Air Convention and Exhibition, 2001.
-  A. Turner, “Development of a semi-autonomous control system for the UVA solar airship AZTEC,” 3rd Int. Airship Convention and Exhibition, 2001.
-  Y. Bestaui and S. Hima, “Some insight in path planning of small autonomous blimps,” in Archives of Control Sciences, Polish Academy of Sciences, Vol.11, No.3-4, pp. 21-49, 2001.
-  E. Hygounenc and P. Soueres, “Lateral path following GPS-based autonomous blimps,” Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, 2003.
-  S. Maekawa, M. Nakadate, and A. Takegawa, “Structures of the low-altitude stationary flight test vehicle,” AIAA 5th Aviation, Technology, Integration, and Operations Conf., pp. 662-666, 2005.
-  T. Fukao, A. Yuzuriha, T. Suzuki, T. Kanzawa, T. Oshibuchi, K. Osuka, T. Kohno, M. Okuyama, Y. Tomoi, and M. Nakadate, “Inverse Optimal Velocity Field Control of an Outdoor Blimp Robot – Blimp Surveillance Systems for Rescue –,” IFAC World Congress, 2008.
-  C. Jin, Y. Jianqiang, and Z. Dongbin, “Stabilization of an underactuated surface vessel via discontinuous control,” American Control Conf. 2007, 2007.
-  M. Bao-li, “Global kappa-exponential asymptotic stabilization of underactuated surface vessels,” Systems and Control Letters, Vol.58, 2009.
-  M. Yamada and M. Tomizuka, “Robust Global Exponential Stabilization of an Underactuated Airship,” Proc. of the IFAC World Congress, 2005.
-  M. Yamada, Y. Taki, A. Katayama, and Y. Funahashi, “Robust Global Stabilization and Disturbance Rejection of an Underactuated Nonholonomic Airship,” Proc. of the 16th IEEE Int. Conf. on Control Applications, pp. 886-891, 2007.
-  H. Saiki, T. Fukao, and T. Kohno, “Automatic Landing Control of Outdoor Blimp Robots,” 9th IFAC Symposium on Robot Control, 2009.
-  J. B. Pomet, “Explicit design of time-varying stabilizing control laws for a class of controllable systems without drift,” Systems and Control Letters, Vol.18, pp. 147-158, 1992.
-  E. D. Sontag, “Mathematical Control Theory,” Springer, 1998.
-  R. Sepulchre and M. Jancovic, “Constructive Nonlinear Control,” Springer, 1996.
-  T. Fukao, “Inverse optimal tracking control of a nonholonomic mobile robot,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 1475-1480, 2004.
-  Z. Artstein, “Stabilization with relaxed controls,” Nonlinear Analysis, Vol.7, pp. 1163-1173, 1983.
-  E. D. Sontag, “A Lyapunov-like characterization of asymptotic controllability,” SIAMJ. on Control and Optimization, Vol.21, pp. 462-471, 1983.
-  E. D. Sontag, “Remarks on stabilization and input-to-state stability,” Proc. of 28th CDC, Tampa, FL, pp. 1376-1378, 1989.
-  M. Nakadate, T. Kohno, and M. Okuyama, “On-going UAV R&D at JAXA’s Aviation Program Group – With Emphasis on LTA Flight Test –,” Int. Airship Convention, pp. 71165-71186, 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.