Sliding Mode Controller for Stereo Vision Based Autonomous Flight of Quad-Rotor M
Dwi Pebrianti*, WeiWang**, Daisuke Iwakura*, Yuze Song*,
and Kenzo Nonami***
*Department of Artificial System Science, Graduate School of Engineering, Chiba University, 1-33 Yayoi-cho, Inage-ku, Chiba 263-8522, Japan
**College of Information and Control Engineering, Nanjing University of Information Science And Technology, 219 Ning Liu Road, Nanjing, Jiangsu 210044, China
***Department of Mechanical Engineering, Chiba University, 1-33 Yayoi-cho, Inage-ku, Chiba 263-8522, Japan
We have investigated the possibility of a Sliding Mode Controller (SMC) for autonomous hovering and waypoint of a quad-rotor Micro Aerial Vehicle (MAV) based on an on ground stereo vision system. The object tracking used here is running average background subtraction. Among the background subtraction algorithms for object tracking, running average is known to have the fastest processing speed and the lowest memory requirement. Stereo vision system is known to have a good performance in measuring the distance from camera to object without any information regarding the object geometry in advance. SMC is known to have advantage of insensitivity to the model errors, parametric uncertainties and other disturbances. The experiment on autonomous hovering and way-point by using running average method for object tracking and SMC for the flight control shows a reliable result.
-  S. Boubdallah, P. Murrieri, and R. Siegwart, “Design and Control of an Indoor Micro Quadrotor,” In Proc. of the 2004 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, April 2004, pp. 4393-4398, 2004.
-  G. Hoffman, H. Huang, S. L.Waslander, and C. J. Tomlin, “Quadrotor Helicopter Flight Dynamics and Control: Theory and Experiment,” In the Conf. of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Hilton Head, South Carolina, August 20-23, 2007.
-  E. Altug, J. P. Ostrowski, and R. Mahony, “Control of a Quadrotor Helicopter Using Visual Feedback,” Proc. of the 2002 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotic & Automation, Washington DC, May 2002.
-  E. B. Nice, “Design of a Four Rotor Hovering Vehicle,” Master Thesis, Graduate School of Cornell University, May 2004.
-  P. Pounds, R. Mahony, and J. Gresham, “Towards Dynamically-Favourable Quad-Rotor Aerial Robots,” Australasian Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Canberra, Australia, 2004.
-  P. Pounds, R. Mahony, P. Hynes, and J. Roberts, “Design of a Four-Rotor Aerial Robot,” Proc. 2002 Australasian Conf. on Robotic and Automation, Auckland, November 27-29, 2002.
-  G. M. Hoffman, S. L. Waslandery, and C. J. Tomlinz, “Quadrotor Helicopter Trajectory Tracking Control,” AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conf. and Exhibit, Honolulu, Hawaii, Aug. 18-21, 2008.
-  S. L. Waslander, G. M. Hoffmann, J. S. Jang, and C. J. Tomlin, “Multi-Agent Quadrotor Testbed Control Design: Integral Sliding Mode vs. Reinforcement Learning,” 2005 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Aug. 2005.
-  F. Kendoul, Z. Yu, and K. Nonami, “Guidance and Nonlinear Control System for Autonomous Flight of Unmanned Minirotorcraft Unmanned Aerial Vehicles,” J. of Field Robotics Guidance and Nonlinear Control System for Autonomous, Vol.27, No.3, November 2009.
-  K. Miller, “Path Tracking Control for Quadrotor Helicopters,” July 31, 2008.
-  P. Pounds, R. Mahony, and P. Corke, “Modelling and Control of a Quad-Rotor Robot,” Proc. 2006 Australasian Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Auckland, 2006.
-  A. Soumelidis, P. Gaspar, G. Regula, and B. Lantos, “Control of an experimental mini quad-rotor UAV,” 16th Mediterranean Conf. on control and automation, Ajaccio, 2008.
-  Y. S. Suh, “Robust Control of a Quad-rotor Aerial Vehicle,” Int. J. of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol.18, No.1-3, pp. 103-114, 2003.
-  E. Altug, J. P. Ostrowski, and C. J. Taylor, “Quadrotor Control Using Dual Camera Visual Feedback,” Proc. of the 2003 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics & Automation, Taipei, Taiwan, September 14-19, 2003.
-  S. Azrad, F. Kendoul, and K. Nonami, “Visual Servoing of Quadrotor Micro-Air Vehicle Using Color-Based Tracking Algorithm,” J. of System Design and Dynamics, Vol.4, No.2, 2010.
-  D. Pebrianti, F. Kendoul, S. Azrad, and K. Nonami, “Autonomous Hovering and Landing of a Quad-rotor Micro Aerial Vehicle by Means of On Ground Stereo Vision System,” J. of System Design and Dynamics, Vol.4, No.2, 2010.
-  M. G. Earl and R. D’andrea, “Real-Time Attitude Estimation Techniques Applied to a Four Rotor Helicopter,” 43rd IEEE Conf. on Decision and Control, Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas, December 14-17, 2004.
-  T. Hamel, R. Mahony, and A. Chriette, “Visual Servo Trajectory Tracking for a Four Rotor VTOL Aerial Vehicle,” Proc. of the 2002 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Washington DC, 2002.
-  C. Kemp, “Visual Control of a Miniature Quad-Rotor Helicopter,” Doctor of Philosophy Thesis, Churchill College, University of Cambridge, 2006.
-  F. Kendoul, I. Fantoni, and K. Nonami, “Optic flow-based vision system for autonomous 3D localization and control of small aerial vehicles,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol.57, pp. 591-602, 2009.
-  G. P. Tournier, M. Valentiy, and J. P. Howz, “Estimation and Control of a Quadrotor Vehicle Using Monocular Vision and Moire Patterns,” AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference and Exhibit, Colorado, 2008.
-  T. Puls, M. Kemper, R. Kuke, and A. Hein, “GPS-based position control and waypoint navigation system for quadrocopters,” Proc. of the 2009 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent robots and systems, St. Louis, MO, USA, 2009.
-  D. Iwakura, W. Wang, K. Nonami, and M. Halley, “Precise Landing of Quad-rotor MAV with Movable Outer Sensors (Mechanical Systems),” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, C, Vol.76, pp. 61-68, 2010.
-  M. Achtelik, A. Bachrach, R. He, S. Prentice, and N. Roy, “Autonomous Navigation and Exploration of a Quadrotor Helicopter in GPS-denied Indoor Environments,” Int. Aerial Robotics Competition, First Symposium on Indoor Flight Issues, University of Puerto Rico, July 2009.
-  M. Piccardi, “Background Substraction Techniques: a review,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, pp. 3099-3104, 2004.
-  J. Vanne, E. Aho, T. D. Hamalainen, and K. Kuusilinna, “A High-Performance Sum of Absolute Difference Implementation for Motion Estimation,” IEEE. Transa. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol.16, No.7, pp. 876-883, July 2006.
-  Y. Oohira, W. Wang, and K. Nonami, “Modeling and Autonomous Control of Small Co-axial Helicopter using Stereo Vision Camera,” Vol.26, No.6, pp. 643-650, 2008. (in Japanese)
-  E. N. Johnson, A. A. Proctor, J. Ha, and Y. Watanabe, “Recent Flight Test Result of Active-Vision Control Systems,” 2005 American Control Conf., June 8-10, 2005.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.