Development of a New Type of Personal Vehicle for Rough-Terrain Applications
Ewerton Ickowzcy*, Takeshi Aoki**, and Shigeo Hirose*
*Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, I1-52, 2-12-1 Ookayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8552, Japan
**Department of Advanced Robotics, Chiba Institute of Technology, 2-17-1 Tsudanuma, Narashino-shi, Chiba 275-0016, Japan
This paper discusses the development of a new type of personal vehicle designed specially for rough-terrain applications. The selection of suitable shapes and mechanisms for such a vehicle is addressed; a threewheeled configuration which maintains the horizontal posture of the vehicle’s passenger in rough terrain is proposed, and different possibilities of implementation are investigated. Experiments with a full-scale prototype of the vehicle are presented.
-  D. L. Kamen, D. Field, and J. B. Morrel, “Riderless Stabilization of a Balancing Transporter,” U.S. Patent 6,779,621 B2, August 24, 2004.
-  K. Fujita, “Vehicle and Toy Replica thereof,” U.S. Patent D614,998 S, May 4, 2010.
-  B. D. Mclntyre, H. R. Herren, J. Wakhungu, and R. T. Watson, “International Assessment of Agricultural Knowledge, Science and Technology for Development,” Agriculture at a Crossroads, Global Report, 2009.
-  D.Wettergreen, D. Jonak, D. Kohanbash, S. J. Moreland, S. Spiker, J. Teza, and W. L. Whittaker, “Design and Experimentation of a Rover Concept for Lunar Crater Resource Survey,” 47th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting Including The New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, 2009.
-  E. Koyanagi and S. Yuta, “Wheel type mobile robot which travels over one step,” 2nd report: Friction wheel, Proc. JSME Robotics and Mechatronics Conf. ROBOMEC 2000, 2000.
-  Y. Uchida, K. Furuichi, and S. Hirose, “Fundamental Performance of 6 Wheeled Off-Road Vehicle HELIOS-V,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, 1999.
-  S. Hirose, N. Ootsuka, T. Shirasu, H. Kuwahara, and K. Yoneda, “Fundamental Considerations for the Design of a Planetary Rover,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, 1995.
-  M. G. Bekker, “Theory of Land Locomotion: the mechanics of vehicle mobility,” The University of Michigan, 1956.
-  S. Hirose, N. Ootsuka, T. Shirasu, H. Kuwahara, and K. Yoneda, “Normalized Energy Stability Margin: Generalized Stability Criterion forWalking Vehicles,” Proc. Int. Symp. on Climbing andWalking Robots (CLAWAR), 1998.
-  S. Hirose, “Variable Constraint Mechanism and Its Application for Design of Mobile Robots,” The Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.19, No.11, November 2000.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.