Verification of Single-Molecule Imaging and Single-Molecule Measurements
Akihiko Ishijima, Hajime Fukuoka, and Yuichi Inoue
Institute of Multidisciplinary Research for Advanced Materials, Tohoku University, 2-1-1 Katahira, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8577, Japan
-  A. D. Mehta, R. S. Rock, M. Rief, J. A. Spudich, M. S. Mooseker, and R. E. Cheney, “Myosin-V is a processive actin-based motor,” Nature, Vol.400, pp. 590-593, 1999.
-  K. Svoboda, C. F. Schmidt, B. J. Schnapp, and S. M. Block, “Direct observation of kinesin stepping by optical trapping interferometry,” Nature, Vol.365, pp. 721-727, 1993.
-  H. Noji, R. Yasuda, M. Yoshida, and K. Kinosita, Jr., “Direct observation of the rotation of F1-ATPase,” Nature, Vol.386, pp. 299-302, 1997.
-  Y. Sowa, A. D. Rowe, M. C. Leake, T. Yakushi, M. Homma, A. Ishijima, and R. M. Berry, “Direct observation of steps in rotation of the bacterial flagellar motor,” Nature, Vol.437, pp. 916-919, 2005.
-  T. Funatsu, Y. Harada, M. Tokunaga, K. Saito, and T. Yanagida, “Imaging of single fluorescent molecules and individual ATP turnovers by single myosin molecules in aqueous solution,” Nature, Vol.374, pp. 555-559, 1995.
-  R. D. Vale, T. Funatsu, D. W. Pierce, L., Romberg, Y. Harada, and T. Yanagida, “Direct observation of single kinesin molecules moving along microtubules,” Nature, Vol.380, pp. 451-453, 1996.
-  M. C. Leake, J. H. Chandler, G. H. Wadhams, F. Bai, R. M. Berry, and J. P. Armitage, “Stoichiometry and turnover in single, functioning membrane protein complexes,” Nature, Vol.443, pp. 355-358, 2006.
-  J. Howard, A. J. Hudspeth, and R. D. Vale, “Movement of microtubules by single kinesin molecules,” Nature, Vol.342, pp. 154-158, 1989.
-  M. P. Sheetz and S. C. Kuo, “Tracking nanometer movements of single motor molecules,” Methods Cell Biol., Vol.39, pp. 129-136, 1993.
-  J. T. Finer, R. M. Simmons, and J. A. Spudich, “Single myosin molecule mechanics: piconewton forces and nanometre steps,” Nature, Vol.368, pp. 113-119, 1994.
-  A. Ishijima, Y. Harada, H. Kojima, T. Funatsu, H. Higuchi, and T. Yanagida, “Single-molecule analysis of the actomyosin motor using nano-manipulation,” Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun., Vol.199, pp. 1057-1063, 1994.
-  J. E. Molloy, J. E. Burns, J. Kendrick-Jones, R. T. Tregear, and D. C. White, “Movement and force produced by a single myosin head,” Nature, Vol.378, pp. 209-212, 1995.
-  H. Tanaka, A. Ishijima, M. Honda, K. Saito, and T. Yanagida, “Orientation dependence of displacements by a single one-headed myosin relative to the actin filament,” Biophys. J., Vol.75, pp. 1886-1894, 1998.
-  Y. Kimura, N. Toyoshima, N. Hirakawa, K. Okamoto, and A. Ishijima, “A kinetic mechanism for the fast movement of Chara myosin,” J. Mol. Biol., Vol.328, pp. 939-950, 2003.
-  A. Ishijima, H. Kojima, T. Funatsu, M. Tokunaga, H. Higuchi, H. Tanaka, and T. Yanagida, “Simultaneous observation of individual ATPase and mechanical events by a single myosin molecule during interaction with actin,” Cell, Vol.92, pp. 161-171, 1998.
-  K. Kitamura, M. Tokunaga, A. H. Iwane, and T. Yanagida, “A single myosin head moves along an actin filament with regular steps of 5.3 nanometres,” Nature, Vol.397, pp. 129-134, 1999.
-  N. J. Carter and R. A. Cross, “Mechanics of the kinesin step,” Nature, Vol.435, pp. 308-312, 2005.
-  J. W. Kerssemakers, E. L. Munteanu, L. Laan, T. L. Noetzel, M. E. Janson, and M. Dogterom, “Assembly dynamics of microtubules at molecular resolution,” Nature, Vol.442, pp. 709-712, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.